LP Palisades Park mini project

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

LP Palisades Park mini project

Postby conguera2 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:44 pm

I have rescued a pair of LP Palisades Park congas from my church (a conga and a quinto). They have been sitting for about 15 years. The hardware seems to be in pretty good shape. The lugs are in good shape just filthy (it seems the previous owner used some sort of black oil on them plus 20 years worth of dirt and grime) but the rims are a little bent. I am going to buy new nuts as the current ones are rusted and stripped ( it took nearly two hours to get the nuts off of the lugs). I have a few questions. How should I clean the fiberglass shells? What should I use to clean and degrease the lugs? Also I'm wondering what heads will fit these drums. Should I keep the old heads so that I know which size new heads will fit? If not I'd like to throw these heads out because they're pretty disgusting. Overall the drums seem to be in pretty good shape considering their age and the abuse and neglect they're been subjected to. I've been playing congas for 6 years and I have a Pearl Conga and Tumba. I've attached some pics of the drums. I'm new to this process as I've only ever had new drums in the past. Any advice on how to get these in good playing order would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments
20140907_135042.jpg
20140907_135057.jpg
20140907_135109.jpg
20140907_135118.jpg
20140907_135217.jpg
Last edited by conguera2 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
conguera2

Re: LP Palisades Park mini project

Postby conguera2 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:47 pm

Pictures after I removed the hardware.
Attachments
20140907_161558.jpg
20140907_161611.jpg
20140907_161738.jpg
conguera2

Postby Isaac » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:48 pm

Inside your old skins are the steel rings you'll need to mount new skins.
These skins are probably lifeless, indicated by the many years in a tightened state,
and the split on one makes it clear. You might as well get a new set.
Stock skins are available, cost more, and not as good sounding as custom skins you can
mount yourself or with a helper. I recommend cow or steer for a fiberglass set.

Soak the skins in a tub of water till they soften up and you can remove the
steel rings.

Good luck,

Isaac
Isaac

Postby Mr.Rumba » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:36 am

Isaac wrote:Inside your old skins are the steel rings you'll need to mount new skins.
These skins are probably lifeless, indicated by the many years in a tightened state,
and the split on one makes it clear. You might as well get a new set.
Stock skins are available, cost more, and not as good sounding as custom skins you can
mount yourself or with a helper. I recommend cow or steer for a fiberglass set.

Soak the skins in a tub of water till they soften up and you can remove the
steel rings.

Good luck,

Isaac

I have the same exact LP original fiberglass shorty drums in white and I put new skins on them from Manito Percussion. You can get them and put them on your self or he also has pre mounted skins for these particular drums as well. Mine are mule but steer work very well on these, too. Use coupon code 007 and he will give you a skin discount.
Mr.Rumba

Postby maelopr » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:23 pm

I just wanted to note you got a Conga and Tumba set there (6 lugs/ea)...that's a great and desirable set.
¡ ECUA JEY !
maelopr

Postby conguera2 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:14 pm

The skins were in horrible condition. Whoever used the drums before had about three nuts per lug I'm guessing so that he could keep tuning them higher and higher. They eventually split. The heads are completely dead sounding and stained. Are you saying that stock skins cost more than flat skins that you self mount. I haven't found that to be the case, but I'm probably looking at the wrong websites. I found the LP skins that are supposed to fit but there's no guarantee they will.

I realized the drums were a conga and a tumba once I started working on them. I was told that they were a quinto and a conga. I've only got about $85 for heads now so I guess I'll have to wait a bit to get some. Someone had offered me Remo Crimplock Symmetry Skyndeep D1 Conga Drumhead Calfskin Graphic for a very good deal around $60 for the pair, but I'm not really interested in synthetic heads and I'm not sure if those heads would fit traditional rims anyway.

What exact heads did you buy Mr. Rumba? I couldn't find a price for the pre-mounted skins from Manito Percussion. When I click on the picture it just takes me to a screen that says 2.1. I'll probably go with those as I don't feel very comfortable mounting the skins myself. I've always wanted to try cow or mule and I have a feeling that if I buy them for these drums I'll probably end up changing the heads on my Pearl's as well.

Right now I'm just trying to figure out the best way to clean the hardware and the drums themselves. I had someone suggest using Windex on the fiberglass but then I've also heard that dish soap and water should do the trick. What would you guys recommend? The lugs are greasy and dirty as well. I'm hoping to start cleaning tomorrow or Wednesday before work. Thanks for all your help.
conguera2

Postby Tumbas » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:28 pm

I would also take off the side plates, if you're going to use soap and water.. or either way you go.

You can do a more thorough job cleaning the shells. If a tiny bit of water or moisture were to get between the shell and the plates, there's a chance it may cause rust on the plates after long term.

That set is way worth the trouble.

Any fiberglass safe cleaner would do.

Also, mounting flat skins is not as hard as it seems.

Manito's skins are very good.

You're going to need to rings that the old skins are on and since you are not going to be refitting the one in tact, just cut them out with a box cutter blade.

Regarding the sizes for pre-mounted heads, they are pretty much standard for the series/line of drums you choose.

If the manufacturer says they will fit, they most likely will.
Last edited by Tumbas on Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tumbas

Postby conguera2 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:39 am

Tumbas wrote:I would also take off the side plates, if you're going to use soap and water.. or either way you go.

You can do a more thorough job cleaning the shells. If a tiny bit of water or moisture were to get between the shell and the plates, there's a chance it may cause rust on the plates after long term.

That set is way worth the trouble.

Any fiberglass safe cleaner would do.

Also, mounting flat skins is not as hard as it seems.

Manito's skins are very good.

You're going to need to rings that the old skins are on and since you are not going to be refitting the one in tact, just cut them out with a box cutter blade.

Regarding the sizes for pre-mounted heads, they are pretty much standard for the series/line of drums you choose.

If the manufacturer says they will fit, they most likely will.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know I needed to take off the side plates as well. It seems this process will take a little longer than I anticipated, so I'll save it for my day off. I contacted LP right when I got the drums and they told me which heads should fit but they said they can't guarantee that actually will fit. Most manufacturers heads are made to fit comfort curve rims these days. I don't know any music store that allows you to return drum heads and I don't want to be out of money so I haven't decided what I'm going to do about heads yet. I
conguera2

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:31 pm

LP premounted stock heads will just work fine on those drums. Some people are biased against factory pre-mounted water buffalo
heads and to me is mainly matter of preference. Check this guy out playing a set of (4) conga drums with stock LP heads, and I think he
does not sound too bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6V8S8U9iLs Now rawhide heads are a bit expensive these days, Remo synthetic
heads are a bit more economical the problem is finding a Remo conga head that fits traditional crowns you may want to check if these heads
can do the trick http://remo.com/portal/products/3/12/83 ... metry.html As far as cleaning the finish on your drums you can go
to Walmart or an Auto Parts store and get a polisher like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/p ... -compound/
To clean the metal/hardware get a solvent like denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner, make sure when you work with these solvents you wear
chemical resistant gloves and safety goggles and do it in a well ventilated area, to me the best place is outside. Now is you do not want to deal with
these solvents I think rubbing alcohol can do the trick too. I hope this helps.
RitmoBoricua

Postby conguera2 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:42 pm

RitmoBoricua wrote:LP premounted stock heads will just work fine on those drums. Some people are biased against factory pre-mounted water buffalo
heads and to me is mainly matter of preference. Check this guy out playing a set of (4) conga drums with stock LP heads, and I think he
does not sound too bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6V8S8U9iLs Now rawhide heads are a bit expensive these days, Remo synthetic
heads are a bit more economical the problem is finding a Remo conga head that fits traditional crowns you may want to check if these heads
can do the trick http://remo.com/portal/products/3/12/83 ... metry.html As far as cleaning the finish on your drums you can go
to Walmart or an Auto Parts store and get a polisher like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/p ... -compound/
To clean the metal/hardware get a solvent like denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner, make sure when you work with these solvents you wear
chemical resistant gloves and safety goggles and do it in a well ventilated area, to me the best place is outside. Now is you do not want to deal with
these solvents I think rubbing alcohol can do the trick too. I hope this helps.

Thanks so much. Your post is clear and concise and answers all of my questions. I will look into the products you suggested. I really appreciate it.
conguera2

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:27 pm

<<Thanks so much. Your post is clear and concise and answers all of my questions.
I will look into the products you suggested. I really appreciate it.>>

No problem. I played around with some Remo Skyndeep Crimplock, Nuskyn, and Evans
heads on my LP congas with traditional crowns and did not get a good/proper fit with
any of them. These newer synthetic heads seems to be more or less made for conga
drums with comfort curves rims. I have an older Remo Fiberskyn head that I may try
to put on to see how it fits with traditional crowns. Right now I would say that pretty
much you either buy the stock pre-mounted LP (rawhide)heads or you tuck your own
if you want the heads to fit properly. Once again I hope this helps and further clarifies
things for you.
RitmoBoricua

Postby caballoballo » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:19 pm

Saludos, water bison heads factory type are dull and lifeless on sound projection. Manito will provide a set of superior natural skins like mule, steer etc etc .
If you want more volume then a set of remo skindeep is the choice and that's what Congueros are using down here.
Last edited by caballoballo on Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby caballoballo » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:20 pm

Saludosa, water bison heads factory type are dull on sound projection. Manito will provide a set of superior skins like mule, steer etc etc .if you want volume then a set of Remo skindeep is the choice and are use by congueros down here.
It is easy to shine that chrome using aluminum foil by rubbing it, trust me.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby conguera2 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:53 pm

caballoballo wrote:Saludosa, water bison heads factory type are dull on sound projection. Manito will provide a set of superior skins like mule, steer etc etc .if you want volume then a set of Remo skindeep is the choice and are use by congueros down here.
It is easy to shine that chrome using aluminum foil by rubbing it, trust me.

Thanks. How do you use the aluminum foil?
conguera2

Postby caballoballo » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:05 pm

Saludos, just take the shined side a rub it against the chrome.
Josean
caballoballo

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories