Moperc, 2015 final production year

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: Moperc, 2015 final production year

Postby caballoballo » Sun May 10, 2015 12:37 am

Burke, adjust the position of the crowns and bottom hoops so the tuning lugs sit in a position more comfortable between your legs and you ready to go.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby burke » Sun May 10, 2015 1:30 am

Great idea!

Thanks
Burke
burke

Postby Greensail » Thu May 14, 2015 4:33 pm

IMG_2344.jpg

I spoke with Michel a few weeks back and indeed it is true. He told me that he has orders for all the wood and hardware he has left but is considering resupplying as he has had many requests for drums. I am so grateful that I got my set of custom Cubanos a couple years back. I haven't played every drum but it is hard to imagine a finer instrument or better craftsmanship. Mopercs set a new standard I believe. Mr. Ouelett - you will be missed.
Greensail

Postby Ebongo » Sat May 16, 2015 1:31 am

Moperc salsa club series, ooo yeah :D https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7rUMaY898w
Ebongo

Postby KING CONGA » Sat May 23, 2015 2:38 pm

Ebongo wrote:Moperc requinto: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xJMTA3Ay5FI

The sound of this Requinto is undeniably beautiful.
KING CONGA

Postby jorge » Sat May 23, 2015 5:52 pm

Yes the quinto sounds good, but Freddy and Deyvis, who both play quinto with los Muñequitos, can get beautiful sounds, that you and I can't get, out of just about any quinto. When they were here in NYC a few years ago, Deyvis played an LP quinto with what I would consider a crappy thin and soft water buffalo skin on it and made it sound beautiful. I play pretty well and I tried, but couldn't get that same quinto, in the same room, to sound good. Practice and technique, and to a lesser extent, quality of the skin, are far more important to the sound than the construction and brand of the drum.
jorge

Postby Ebongo » Sat May 23, 2015 7:52 pm

The playing and the progress of technique and the enjoyment that comes from it is always more important than the instrument, which goes without saying.
At the same time, anybody who has played on custom made congas [also including no name congas, example: solid shell congas made in Cuba] would agree that there is a difference in feel, sound, and pleasure. For those who can have access to such drums it is an extra treat.

jorge wrote:Yes the quinto sounds good, but Freddy and Deyvis, who both play quinto with los Muñequitos, can get beautiful sounds, that you and I can't get, out of just about any quinto. When they were here in NYC a few years ago, Deyvis played an LP quinto with what I would consider a crappy thin and soft water buffalo skin on it and made it sound beautiful. I play pretty well and I tried, but couldn't get that same quinto, in the same room, to sound good. Practice and technique, and to a lesser extent, quality of the skin, are far more important to the sound than the construction and brand of the drum.
Last edited by Ebongo on Sat May 23, 2015 11:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Ebongo

Postby RitmoBoricua » Sat May 23, 2015 8:33 pm

Is the Indian not the arrow.
RitmoBoricua

Postby KKonga » Mon May 25, 2015 3:08 am

Moperc has some extremely straight arrows....

KK 8)
KKonga

Postby rhythmrhyme » Tue May 26, 2015 12:43 am

^^^ lol, they do indeed! that is quite the talented quinto player as well!

Learning on an excellent drum is something I will always recommend to new players, if they can afford it. having access to quality instruments has made a world of difference in my learning of bongo's, congas and djembe. once someone showed me the sound on the drum all I had to do is work, work, work until I reached it. at least I knew the sound was in the drum and that I was the variable needing manipulation, which isn't always the case, especially with djembe's that aren't tuned up properly or congas with horrible overtones or dead heads.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby Congadin » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:42 pm

No, this is not true. 2015 is the last year Michel Ouellet will be Moperc's craftsman. He has sold the company to another artesian, who will handcraft the instruments with other employees, but Michel will stay on as Moperc's Sales Representative. Moperc will continue to build instruments - 2015 is just the final year Michel will be building them himself.
Congadin

Postby Ebongo » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:48 am

When did Moperc begin taking orders for congas? I heard that back in the earlier years maple wood was an option in Michel's price list.
I like my 'percs so much that I'm wondering how nice it might have been to have gotten a set back in the 90's and all that time breaking them in. I guess it shows how much I appreciate my drums when I imagine enjoying their quality even in the far past when I hadn't yet heard of them. :lol: :D
Ebongo

Previous

Return to CongaSet and accessories