Old Cuban Quinto

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: Old Cuban Quinto

Postby blavonski » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:03 pm

Saludos Forum members,
Thanks for the positive feedback on my not quite 100% complete restoration.
Here it is at this point in its rebirth. I'll be making the tuning lugs for it this week and hoping to have a skin for it not too long afterward.
It's actually a dead on 11" Tumbadora and not 101/2" as i previously stated. I guess my measurement was thrown off by the inconsistancies due to its miserable original condition. The Aluminum bands had all stretched a bit over time due to the splits in the staves and wood movement. So, I had to cut and rivet one of them to accomodate an even spacing when reattaching them. Intersting thing about these bands; I couldn't find a single weld seam in them. My only guess is that they were cut from high end Aluminum tubing. All the hardware is original with the exception of the washers for the plate lugs and as I mentioned, I'm making new Tuning lugs from material I already have around. For what it's worth, to date I've spent a total of 2,85 Euros on this project. I thought I had lost a couple of the upholstery nails for the bands, but then I found them after I took these photos.
When I find the right skin, I will post a pic of it. Til then...
Attachments
DSC05567.JPG
DSC05577.JPG
DSC05586.JPG
DSC05543.JPG
DSC05536.JPG
Good Vibrations,
Mr. Blavonski
blavonski

Postby blavonski » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:11 pm

Here are a coupla other Photos: details , different (Better), light...
Attachments
DSC05578.JPG
DSC05540.JPG
DSC05556.JPG
DSC05602.JPG
Good Vibrations,
Mr. Blavonski
blavonski

Postby blavonski » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:16 am

Saludos FM,
I forgot to ask, now that one can see the elements and style of construction of this Conga better,
does any one of you, ( Omelenko; MACHO; Markito; Abakua, Onile etc.) have any idea of when the drum was made and by whom?

I recently saw a photo of Los Papines and the drums they were playing were painted of course, but the flesh hoop ears were welded on and the bands were also aluminum and the bottum band was steel like that on my drum. Maybe that's what the woman meant, Los Papines and not Los VAN VAN when she told me who the drum once belonged to.
Any info would naturally be pleasing to come by, Thanx!
Good Vibrations,
Mr. Blavonski
blavonski

Postby Dig Gonsalves » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:59 pm

What a beautiful, heartfelt, dedicated project. A new life. A new blossom for peace. When you finally liberate the SOUND, please let us know. It will be amazing!
Dig Gonsalves

Postby Barryabko » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:48 am

It looks beautiful, Blavonski. Great work!
Barryabko

Postby salzfaas » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:00 pm

really impressed with your work here.I restored some sonocs but your abilities are well above mine I salute you I hope you find the right skin for it.I found thin mules worked well on mine but then I also have found some steers do a better job depending all on the wood,diameter belly etc.good luck.
salzfaas

Postby salzfaas » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:06 pm

Forgot to say that one of my sonoc' :D s which is having some rings made looks very similar to this in wood type ,when it comes back i will post it here to compare wood grain!
salzfaas

Postby blavonski » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:54 am

hey, thanks for the kind words fellas, I appreciate it!
"A new blossom for peace", nicely put dig Gonsalves.

I will certainly post a photo and report on the quality of its Liberated Sound when I mount a skin and have played it.

salzfaas wrote:Forgot to say that one of my sonoc' :D s which is having some rings made looks very similar to this in wood type ,when it comes back i will post it here to compare wood grain!

yes, woulds like to see your SONOCS...
Last edited by blavonski on Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good Vibrations,
Mr. Blavonski
blavonski

Postby blavonski » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:49 pm

Hello forum members,
sorry for the long pause, so many things to do...
However, one of those things was to mount a new Cow skin, Sraight outs Havana onto my Macho Tumbadora!
Now it is authenitically complete! The only non original Hardware are the tuning lugs and inside flesh ring that I made for it.

The skin is not as thick as the steer skins on my other Congas, but it is really dense and strong.
And it feels and sounds beautifull as well as being a perfect match for the drum!!
I was incidentally informed from two cubans, that as a rule, cuban Congueros prefer a thinner skin to a thicker one, it's easier on the hands as well as the drum. After playing my thick steer skins on my Schallocs for almost two years now almost daily, I can understand this reasoning.
At any rate, I'll be playing my new Blossom for peace, along with the Bongó on a gig this coming Saturday and I just can't wait.
Attached are coupla flicks of it 100% completed.
Thanks to those for the moral support and enthusiasm along the way with this wonderful and fulfilling project!
Attachments
Cuban Quinto Fertig mit Cuban Fell.JPG
Quinto fertig mit fell....JPG
Cuban Quinto mit Fell von Oben.JPG
Last edited by blavonski on Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good Vibrations,
Mr. Blavonski
blavonski

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:55 am

great job 8)
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby blavonski » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:49 pm

Thanks Mike :!:
It was a lotta work and every bit fascinating and enjoyable. I learned a great deal about how congas are built.
And if I ever come across, (and I'm Looking), a 12" Hembra from Cuba made of native hardwood, in the same or even worse condition, I'd do it all again.
I enjoy my beech Wood Schallocs with there Steer skins, but this drum with this skin is, well it's difficult to put into words really; it's simply satisfying from the jump... it has a lyrical quality to it. And no tuninmg problems, no overtones with a dry, centered, butter like tone quality. Maybe that has to do with the skins color :lol:, but my hands just melted right into with infinite pleasure.
Good Vibrations,
Mr. Blavonski
blavonski

Postby KING CONGA » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:19 pm

Hi blavonski. What is the mix ratio of the watter and vinegar?
KING CONGA

Postby blavonski » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:50 pm

Saludos KC,
I didn't measure it.
I simply filled the bathtub enough to submerge the drum in and poured a 250ml, ( less than Pint I guess), bottle of vinegar in and let it soak over night and some.
I then let the staves dry for 2 weeks before repairing any cracka or broken parts. The vinegar also cleans and the wood as it's soaking.
And kills any unwanted termites. :wink:

Hope that helps...
Good Vibrations,
Mr. Blavonski
blavonski

Previous

Return to CongaSet and accessories