white scuffs on fiberglass LP congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

white scuffs on fiberglass LP congas

Postby Sakuntu » Sun May 17, 2015 3:17 am

Anybody know how to get rid of those white scuff marks on the fiberglass LP congas? Just trying to clean up an old pair of patatos I just got. Thanks
Sakuntu
Sakuntu

Re: white scuffs on fiberglass LP congas

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon May 18, 2015 12:55 am

I would try a solvent like mineral spirits, rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol first.
There is also acetone and lacquer thinner but you have to be real careful applying
these two, the solvents on these two are really strong/hot and they may just melt
the finish/gel coat like butter, I do not recommend them.

Also you may try an automotive rubbing compound follow by a polishing compound
and this should take care of of the scuff marks. Before you apply these compounds
make sure you wipe clean the drum with denatured alcohol, rubbing alcohol or
mineral spirits. I hope this helps.
RitmoBoricua

Postby jorge » Mon May 18, 2015 2:46 am

White scuff marks are often due to scuffing of the surface, which turns opaque white, rather than some foreign material actually getting on the surface. Agree with RB that rubbing it out with rubbing compound may be your best bet. Would try it on some unnoticeable spot first, maybe take off the bottom band and test a small spot of paint underneath where the band goes. Also agree with being VERY careful with the organic solvents and sticking to mild solvents like water and alcohol just to clean grit off, then try the rubbing compound.
jorge

Postby MACHO123 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:15 pm

Ritmo is right. Forget about the thinners. You'll ruin the finish then have to refinish it. Get the white rubbing compound at the hardware or auto parts store. It's really easy to use. Just follow the instructions on the container. This should work very well. Good luck.
MACHO123

Postby Sakuntu » Tue May 19, 2015 9:49 pm

thansk folks, i actually used a mr. clean magic eraser sponge and they came off nice and easy. who knew? again, i appreciate the responses!
Sakuntu
Sakuntu

Return to CongaSet and accessories