Amplifier vs. powered speaker

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Amplifier vs. powered speaker

Postby Greensail » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:46 pm

Looking for some advice on amplification. Small venue gigging with a couple of guitars and occasionally keyboard. I typically use 3 Sennheiser 604 mics that run through a small mixer and into the PA head. We are looking to simplify and not use the PA but go straight to an individual amps - the guitar guys like that. So I am looking at running the mixer into either an amplifier or powered speaker. From what I can read, there seems to be arguments on both sides. Anybody have any advice on what you may have found works good and what make you like. Thanks in advance.
Greensail

Re: Amplifier vs. powered speaker

Postby CongaTick » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:07 pm

"Small venue gigging with a couple of guitars and occasionally keyboard." Been in this situation many times. Are you sure you need amplification?
CongaTick

Postby Greensail » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:00 pm

When we play indoors, no I don't typically need amplification. But most of the time its outside and while the gig is small, the space is moderate in size and open.
Greensail

Postby CongaTick » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:48 pm

tapco.jpg
tapco.jpg (27.14 KiB) Viewed 2971 times

For a tight acoustic venue needing a lil amp oompf, I go with a couple of Shure 57's for my quinto/conga/tumba setup. I have a lil TAPCO 4 channel mixer into which I usually feed 5 mics which gives me nice control. If you have an available single channel on a powered speaker or somebody's amp,, run you two mics into a splitter for a single XLR out.
CongaTick

Return to CongaSet and accessories