Mules on Fiberglass Congas?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Mules on Fiberglass Congas?

Postby Kaban » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:22 pm

Hello,

Does anyone have put mule-heads on fiberglass congas?

Has anyone tried them out somewhere and can speak of what they sounded like?

Thanks in advance,
Kaban
Kaban

Re: Mules on Fiberglass Congas?

Postby KING CONGA » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:24 pm

Not sure if you are the one inquiring about the ones that I currently have for sale on C.L. if not, I can tell you that they sound great! I have compared the original "Hand Picked", REMO Synthetic Fiberskin 3, and Mule and without a doubt, Mule rules! I recommend them not just for fiberglass but for wood congas.
Mule is typically a more dense skin, this is ideal for an Old School dry tone, it has a tendency for less overtones than steer, cow or any other skin for that matter.
Considering that these are Fiberglass drums, which can have the tendency of overtones by nature, the Mule would be the most ideal head for them. As I've mentioned, the sound is exceptional on these. I hope that this response is satisfactory. Take care.
Attachments
20620_1064830680215951_913935344079473727_n.jpg
11888000_1064830933549259_5686953486622119477_n.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
KING CONGA

Postby willfry » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:20 am

Do it! They sound fantastic on fibreglass.
willfry

Postby vxla » Sat May 07, 2016 7:11 pm

I have extra thick mule on a Patato super requinto that sounds great (although was very difficult to mount).
vxla

Postby Thebreeze » Sun May 08, 2016 8:24 pm

Hey, it would be great to see a picture of that. I have wondered how a patato requinto sounds and if you have a muleskin on it that must be something else. is the skin on the thick side? you say it was difficult to mount.
Thebreeze

Postby Thebreeze » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:52 am

It's sad, but the last post on this subject was by me back on May 8th . Has everyone left this forum for other ones? I know that there have been quite a few that have popped up on Facebook and i have seen many people that are members of this forum on those forums, including myself. I try to come back here to try to contribute but there does not seem to be any interest anymore from anyone. Oh well, I will keep popping in and out here to see if any one gets interested again in contributing here.
Thebreeze

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:55 am

Thebreeze wrote:It's sad, but the last post on this subject was by me back on May 8th . Has everyone left this forum for other ones? I know that there have been quite a few that have popped up on Facebook and i have seen many people that are members of this forum on those forums, including myself. I try to come back here to try to contribute but there does not seem to be any interest anymore from anyone. Oh well, I will keep popping in and out here to see if any one gets interested again in contributing here.

Hi Thebreeze, I hope you are fine :-)
Well, I have never left the forum (no Congaplexit... ;-)),
and I donĀ“t do Facebook, it is simply a pity that there is so
little activity here at congaplace. :(

Back to topic: I once owned a 9" Patato requinto, but I did not
quite like it, not even with a very thick skin on, so I sold it.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Thebreeze » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:48 pm

Hi Mike. Thanks. I am fine, and looks like you are well too. That's great. I am glad that you mentioned the requinto Patato not being to your liking. I have seen others mention the same thing. Some say that they are getting too much ring/overtones from it. I have a three drum set of Patatos myself, quinto/conga/tumba, and was contemplating looking for the requinto but after all these negative comments about it i will just pass on looking for one. Just as an FYI....if someone is looking for a nice fiberglass requinto I reccoment looking into getting a Meinl Live Sound Series Floatune 10" quinto. I have had two in my day and these drums are great as long as you mount a thick skin on them. I believe that the shell is much thicker on these than on a Patato Requinto.

This is a picture of the little drum along with it's big brother a 13". These little drums are getting harder to find, but if you find one I would say to go for it.
Thebreeze

Postby Mike » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:39 am

Nice drums, Will! 8)

Yes, Meinl fiberglass are much heavier than Patatos,
especially with that hardware.

Sadly enough I cannot play congas due to a nasty finger injury which
will keep me away from drumming for many weeks :( :cry:
But otherwise I am fine.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Thebreeze » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:14 am

Well, that will just make it worth waiting for when you are totally healed and ready to continue your conga playing. Take care.
Thebreeze

Return to CongaSet and accessories