Rope Tuned Curly maple Conga

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Rope Tuned Curly maple Conga

Postby KevBo » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:08 am

Just finished up this build and wanted to share. This is one of my miniConga line. It's the miniTumba. Not really that mini, but smaller than a full size tumba. 28" tall and 11.75" head. It's curly maple wood with a rubber bottom and rope tuning. I was really happy with all of it, the build and the sound.

I'm finishing up a set of miniCongas that are walnut with the Remo NuSkyn heads. I hope to have time to get a video of those.

Here's the final photo of the conga.

CurlyMapleMiniTumba2.jpg

Also experimented with some coconut maracas with a flame elder handle earlier this year... Came out really nice :)
Maracas-Flame.jpg
Building custom hand drums at http://www.rhythmhousedrums.com
KevBo

Re: Rope Tuned Curly maple Conga

Postby CongaTick » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:55 am

Excellent!!! Your love of craftsmanship shows through.
CongaTick

Postby burke » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:04 pm

So how do you tune it? Dowels like a tabla, or because its a synthetic skin it rarely needs it?
Burke
burke

Postby rhythmrhyme » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:57 pm

likely knots like a djembe, I've seen others tuned like that. Pulling cow with knots sucks... real hard on the hands, much better if you can set the tension with a press from the start. I have no idea what it is like to tune synthetic with knots though...
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Return to CongaSet and accessories