Walnut Conga Drums

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Walnut Conga Drums

Postby KevBo » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:29 am

MiniCongaSet-WalnutXL-3.jpg

Most recent conga build. It's been a crazy learning experience going from djembes to congas. I'm loving it. These are walnut with yellow heart inlay bands. Headed with rope tuning and remo nuskyn heads. I put a rubber foot on the bottom of these and roughed the inside. The shells had a bit of a higher pitched overtone to them that I was worried about, but as soon as the heads went on, the shell tones muted out. I have a set of matadors with nuskyns and these smaller congas had a better / smoother resonance with the same amount of volume. I was stoked.

I'm selling these slightly smaller (28" tall) congas as MiniCongas http://www.rhythmhousedrums.com/shop/rhd-mini-conga/. They are about 1/3 to 1/2 the weight of my matadors. The set pictured is sold but I'm offering these on my site for around $1200 USD for a set of 3 (natural hide head or synthetic). Build time is about 10-12 weeks depending on current load. Different wood options available and I'm open to entertaining any ideas for custom sizing, shape, or wood combo.

Stainless hardware opposed to rope tuning is also available. I did quite a few test runs on the hardware and finally decided on getting my design laser cut for accuracy and repeatability. I still bend, weld, and polish the hardware, but the initial shapes are laser cut. Still working out a price to sell the hardware at, but I'm expecting either the mini congas or full size congas with hardware to be about double the price as the rope tuned version... so around 2400 for a set of 3.

If you happen to be in the market for a unique set of congas please be in touch. Happy to work with people on payment plans or discounts if needed while I'm inching into the conga market. I'm really enjoying the conga building and looking to build up my portfolio of congas to be as impressive and diverse as my djembe portfolio.

I've gotten great feedback from this forum and appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions.
Building custom hand drums at http://www.rhythmhousedrums.com
KevBo

Re: Walnut Conga Drums

Postby 11am » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:43 am

those are nice looking drums, Brother
11am

Return to CongaSet and accessories