Bongo+Congas buying - advice

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Bongo+Congas buying - advice

Postby tigerjack89 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:19 pm

Hi there, first post here :) I'm Simone, I come from Italy and lately I've been playing around with percussion instruments.
While searching for a good new set of bongo, I've found a special offer: Lp Aspire A601-AW Bongos + Toca Synergy 2300N + stands for both of them at a price of 330€.
As I've said, I was primarly searching for a good set of bongos, but considering that in the future I'd also like to learn congas it could be a good deal. However, I'm concerned especially about the quality of the two, that I think it's not too high comparing, for example, to an LP Matador.
What do you think of it? Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
tigerjack89

Re: Bongo+Congas buying - advice

Postby CongaTick » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:29 pm

Get the matadors. You will not be sorry.
CongaTick

Postby tigerjack89 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:20 pm

CongaTick wrote:Get the matadors. You will not be sorry.

Thanks for your advice. So, do you think the LP Aspire is not worth it? The Matador is a lotter better?
tigerjack89

Postby CongaTick » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:36 pm

What people say about Aspires is that once you have them, you wiil always "aspire" for something else. Matadors are excellent, solid, utilitarian congas that are professional level/quality instruments which will give you many years of excellent tone. With the proper heads, and solid technique, your sound will be absolutely satisfying on all levels. The Matadors are for those who cannot afford hand made boutique drums, but want a solidly professional sound. You will not go wrong with Matadors.
CongaTick

Postby tigerjack89 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:40 pm

CongaTick wrote:What people say about Aspires is that once you have them, you wiil always "aspire" for something else. Matadors are excellent, solid, utilitarian congas that are professional level/quality instruments which will give you many years of excellent tone. With the proper heads, and solid technique, your sound will be absolutely satisfying on all levels. The Matadors are for those who cannot afford hand made boutique drums, but want a solidly professional sound. You will not go wrong with Matadors.

Thanks for your advice CongaTick, definitely useful.
I've also opened another thread to discuss in more detail different LP bongo set.
I'm also interested in the meaning of your "the proper heads" because you seem to be the second person today that suggest to replace the head skins with different ones. Am I wrong?
tigerjack89

Postby CongaTick » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:16 pm

More often than not, congueros who acquire LP drums, including Matadors, are not enamored with the water buffalo skin heads that come with them. They're a bit ringy, and don't easily produce the dry pop and snap of other available head material. The most common replacement is with cowhide. Other options include muleskin, which is tougher and though some say mule is hard on the hands, I have not found that to be the case with proper technique. I, for one, use Matador fiberglass congas and head them with Remo Skyndeep heads to avoid the re-tuning needed from time to time in varying weather and temp conditions. I went with this conga and head configuration in order to produce sharper tones that could compete reasonably with many of the electrically amplified bands I play with. If you're intent is to play primarily as acoustic accompaniment, then cow or mule may be an appropriate option. In any case, once you acquire the Matadors, use them as is for awhile. You may like the sound of the water buffalo heads. Some congueros do. I wish you much luck, and welcome you to our brotherhood.
card4.jpg
CongaTick

Postby vinnieL » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:12 am

Can't go wrong with the Matadors. Good advice
vinnieL

Postby Barryabko » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:18 pm

I have been very pleased with my LP Matador bongos.
Barryabko

Return to CongaSet and accessories