Cuban conga ID needed

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Cuban conga ID needed

Postby taikonoatama » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:03 pm

A friend of mine was visiting another friend and saw this drum in the living room. The friend's mother had picked it up in Cuban in the 1950's, and said that when she was little (in the US) they could still smell the rum in the wood. This is the only pic I got. I could throw out a very big name on who might have made it, but I don't want to get ahead of myself with crazy wishful thinking. Alas, it's not for sale due to sentimental reasons, but my name is at the top of the list should the friend ever sell.

Thoughts?

James

conga_cuban.jpg
taikonoatama

Re: Cuban conga ID needed

Postby Psych1 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:55 pm

I don't want to get ahead of myself either - others here know this stuff better than I. But, I think your guess is correct. I base that on the sideplates that I have seen on other congas he made.
Psych1

Postby rhythmrhyme » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:53 pm

That sure is a beautiful drum, amazing condition for it's age and the patina is lovely. Looks like it has sat off in a corner most of its life.

I'm curious though, who do you think made it?
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby Psych1 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:06 pm

who do you think made it?

Maybe we will never know 100% for sure. After all, there must have been a lot more than 2 making congas and bongos in Cuba in the 50's. And the ones who made the shells usually didn't make the hardware. No sigs and usually no labels. Those who used Spanish oak rum barrels also used local mahogany. Still 2 makers stand out and it doesn't look to me like the work of one of them.

Waiting for those who know a lot more than me to weigh in.
Psych1

Postby pcastag » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:20 am

Not an expert by any means but the hardware and the shape look definitely like a vergara to me. The absolute standard.
PC
pcastag

Postby taikonoatama » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:51 am

I certainly don't have the expertise to make the call on this drum with any authority. It wasn't as if congas were totally standardized back then, and the drums didn't (typically) have badges or signatures or any other definitive identifying marks on the drums. My Requena, for instance, has no ID marks at all. And as others have mentioned, sometimes one person might have done the shell and someone else the hardware. That being said, it (the shape, hoops, wood, crown, side plates, and lugs), is certainly is in the style of Gonzalo Vergara, the most famous conga maker of all (and incredibly rare). If it wasn't him who made it, it was somebody very much influenced by him. Almost none of us has ever seen one of his drums up close, though there was at least one board member some years ago that did have first hand experience. Maybe he'll chime in at some point here. Compare the drum picture in this thread with the Vergaras on the following page and you'll see how you have to at least consider the possibility.

http://fidelseyeglasses.blogspot.com/2009/02/tumbadoras-made-by-gonzalo-vergara-cuba.html

Edit: Just came across a facebook group/page: "Vintage Conga Drums" -- Mark Sanders, who posted the "fidelseyeglasses..." page above comments there, and he is most definitely an expert. Someone re-posted my photo of the drum in question on his page and Mark commented: "Yep, 50's Vergara."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/657966647623440/

Wow.

Now I just have to sweet talk this woman into letting go of her sentimental attachment to this drum!
taikonoatama

Return to CongaSet and accessories