Vintage Cuban Conga

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Vintage Cuban Conga

Postby goldy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:20 pm

Hi to everyone.
This Conga is my ongoing project. Bearing edges and 2 cracks on barrel has been fixed.
The skin is in good condition and has been re-positioned to correct shape together with skin hope.
The hardware is in process of re-chroming.
I'm not expecting to hear any big name of original maker but any input will be appreciated. It is fortune to know that barrel is done 30-35 years ago from Caoba.
That was god reason for me to finish it in Schellak. Old fashion, long process, but it's worth.
I will follow up once completed.
Attachments
Cuban Tumbadora 1.JPG
Cuban Tumbadora before
In proces of schellak finishing.jpg
Halfway true shellacking
goldy

Re: Vintage Cuban Conga

Postby goldy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:41 pm

I,m passionate, will wait for any input.
goldy

Postby KING CONGA » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:06 pm

Hi goldy.
What you have there is a beautiful Classic Cuban SONOC! Congratulations.
Looks to be mid 70'a to early 80's.
May I invite you to visit "Vintage Conga Drums" on Facebook where you can see and read a lot more regarding these wonderful drums.
Can't wait to see the finished product.
KING CONGA

Postby KING CONGA » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:08 pm

I can see that you applied a stain, looks great! which stain did you use exactly? I have a Classic Gon Bop that I am currently re finishing and would love for it to be the same shade as yours.
Thanks.
K.C
KING CONGA

Postby goldy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:36 pm

Hello K.C.
Thank you for your input.
It is wonderful to know that. SONOC!!!!!......Yeeees.
On the first photo are small changes that I intended to do. Right now I'm in doubt to do that or not. I also plug the holes where handle was!!??.
Should I leave old screws and handle or proceed with new ones.
On second photo is the Shellac that I used. The name is 'robijn'. I made 8 rubbing coats of that product. Ratio was 1(shellac) and 2(Bio-ethanol).
Attachments
20160128_162412_003.jpg
Possible new hardware
20160129_215527.jpg
Schellac - Robijn
goldy

Postby 11am » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:38 am

Hi Brother, beautiful drum, curious to know why you would use such a fragile finish of shellac to finish the shell? It offers no protection from water, will cloud and become sticky due to humidity and will also be very susceptible to other everyday cleaning chemicals. I might suggest that after you finish with the shellac, that you finish it in a poly -urethane oil varnish, or good quality floor grade water vasrnish. Great job so far, J M
11am

Postby goldy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:22 pm

11am wrote:Hi Brother, beautiful drum, curious to know why you would use such a fragile finish of shellac to finish the shell? It offers no protection from water, will cloud and become sticky due to humidity and will also be very susceptible to other everyday cleaning chemicals. I might suggest that after you finish with the shellac, that you finish it in a poly -urethane oil varnish, or good quality floor grade water vasrnish. Great job so far, J M

Hi 11am, thank you for comment. The reason for shellac is:
Some of shellacs greatest advantages include qualities that apply to musical instruments:
1. Non yellowing
2. Excellent adhesion
3. Very hard - it doesn't dampen the vibration of a soundboard
4. Good sealer - stops the transfer of moisture vapor
5. Easy to repair - Since shellac dissolves in alcohol, new shellac melts into old, allowing seamless repairs
6. Easy to remove - Shellac dissolves in alcohol
7. Shellac can be applied by padding, brush or spray
8. Non-Toxic - FDA approved for food utensils and children's toys
I believe that you did not seriously suggest to use poly-urethane or water based varnish. That is in plain language like wrapping your acoustic instrument in plastic.
Perhaps the Nitrocellulose Lacquers is also suitable for acoustic instruments.
Kip in your mind that Stradivari finished all his violins in Shellac and have a look on internet for more 'yes or no'.
goldy

Return to CongaSet and accessories