2 ply vs 3 ply

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

2 ply vs 3 ply

Postby estragon » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:46 am

Hi,

I notice that the Meinl Professional Series wood congas are 2 ply and that similar level LP congas are 3 ply (but even the Matadors are 3 ply).

Could someone please enlighten me as to the benefits / disadvantages of 2 vs 3 ply in a wood conga?

Thanks!

:D
estragon

Re: 2 ply vs 3 ply

Postby Marcus » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:59 pm

Hey Estragon,

Not an expert here my any means but your question needs to be answered. There are many threads on this issue if you wish to walk through this history of this site. Lots of good information.

From what I understand the more plys the more glue and glue does not resonate well. But then again some highly rated conga manufactures’ use ply as a veneer so that the outside is looking good. I think that once you get into the 3 ply it is just a least cost material which makes the conga less expensive. Then the shape and skin is the major contributor to the tonal quality or lack of tonal quality of the conga. 3 ply congas are entry level. Great for entry level students.

Solid wood and solid stave congas are considered the best, but then I think Volcano uses a veneer and is not solid wood stave—but I certainly could be wrong on that one. People who own, play and listen to Volcanos love them for sound and projection though I have not played one.

You basically get what you pay for however an old teacher of mine could make any drum sound great—even a low cost student drum.

I got production congas with veneer that look fine, placed a premium skin as the stock skins were worthless and I am very content with my set.

Basically if you like the sound, buy them.

…Marcus
Marcus

Re: 2 ply vs 3 ply

Postby Marcus » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:26 pm

Oh, I did not see that Matadors are 3 ply. Certainly did not want to lessen Matadors as everyone seems to love them. I was thinking of Aspires. Matadors with customer skins would be great and you can get them used and in fine condition.

...Mark
Marcus

Return to CongaSet and accessories