Banco Popular "Raices" DVD - Does anyone have it

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Banco Popular "Raices" DVD - Does anyone have it

Postby Firebrand » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:08 am

Guys,

I have the VHS version of the Banco Popular "Raices" documentary about Bomba and Plena from Puerto Rico. Unfortunately, I use it once every class semester with my music students and I have at least 20-30% students in the classroom who are English speakers only. While I am able to retain a few...there are others that simply tune out because they can't understand the video's discussions (even though I translate it for them).

Does anyone know if 1) the DVD version has English subtitles and B), where I can get it at the cheapest price? Thank you guys...it's really something that would benefit the kids, because I already know the Bomba and Plena traditions and I've seen this video THOUSANDS OF TIMES! (I have 6 classes every semester...and I have to see it once with every single class....ARGHG! I can't take more Bomba and Plena!
Firebrand

Re: Banco Popular "Raices" DVD - Does anyone have it

Postby jorge » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:17 am

Why don't you mix it up beyond bomba and plena and show some other folkloric videos? I would highly recommend Rumbon Tropical (Boogalu Productions) for modern Afrocuban rumba and Abakua. The music and dance speak for themselves, and subtitles are not necessary.
jorge

Re: Banco Popular "Raices" DVD - Does anyone have it

Postby JoseLuisPR » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:40 am

Hi, the only one that I found in the web is not available, there is the waitlist, keep looking for the dvd, or if you know someone that can make you a copy... Anyway, here is the link: http://www.musicaboricua.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?LNG=en-US&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MB&Product_Code=BPPR-2001dvd&Category_Code=BPPR-CD

A month ago, here in Puerto Rico, the famous musician William Cepeda organized a weekend of Bomba y Plena, with history, techniques and a lot of talent playing the rythms. The good part is that him recorded the weekend for the release of a documental dvd to show everyone interested how the bomba and plena should be. I don't remember the name, I think is "Música en Dos Tiempos".
JoseLuisPR

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students