Kubavana

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Kubavana

Postby afrocubarico » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:27 pm

Hello everyone,
Can anyone here help me locate this album on CD? Many thanks!

afrocubarico
Attachments
Kubavana.jpg
Kubavana.jpg (20.92 KiB) Viewed 2319 times
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Re: Kubavana

Postby tamboricua » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:03 pm

afrocubarico wrote:Hello everyone,
Can anyone here help me locate this album on CD? Many thanks!

afrocubarico

Afrocubarico,

That album was issue on CD by the label Tumbao Cuban Classics. I had seen it at CD Universe and Descarga.

If for some reason they don't stock it anymore just let me know.

I'll gladly make a copy for you.

Saludos,

JG
tamboricua

Postby afrocubarico » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:31 pm

Tamboricua,
Thank you my brother! I checked out Descarga.com and it looks like they have it. I just emailed them asking if it's in stock. As someone who owns this album, what should I expect? Does Patato lay down some nice licks, do you know if he's using multiple congas or just one? Thanks again.

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby jorge » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:05 pm

This fantastic record is about swing, afinque, and really smooth vocals, the percussion is support and mostly not lead. Alberto Ruiz, Orlando Vallejo, and Carlos Querol did some great lead, duo, and harmony singing.

From a rhythm perspective, Patato and Armando Peraza (bongo), the piano player Eulogio Castelero, the bass player Guillermo Aran, plus others on maracas, clave, and a killer campana, provide a solid rhythm section, but remember this was mid-40s and Patato and others were just starting to push the envelope on what the (single) conga played with a conjunto. Making the rhythm swing with one conga was the key. Armando does throw in some nice licks and solos on bongo. Most of this stuff has been copped and played by bongo players in salsa bands over the past 60+ years. For this reason, it might not sound that innovative to you, but be assured that bongo players who were not creative or who copied others' styles and licks did not keep their band gigs for long in La Habana in those years. The campana (bongo bell) player is not credited in the liner notes, but is playing at the same time Armando is riffing on bongo, so it's not him. If you listen carefully you will hear how the bell makes the whole rhythm swing. No timbales. You can hear Patato playing the 2 bombo beats using the bass of his single conga in the the same time pattern that salsa conga players use the low tumbador. Check out the bell and other rhythm on Moforivale el Tambo, Que se Vaya, and Sonaremo el Tambo the swing is great and the cadencia (precision of the timing) is killer. Again, listen carefully to the bell parts and bell riffs.

This is a really awesome record, listen with good headphones or speakers to hear the subtle stuff that makes it so amazing. Don't expect Anga/Giovanni style fireworks, in some ways it's better than that! (for those of us who appreciate dynamics, subtlety, and swing).
jorge

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students