CUBA AND IT'S MUSIC FROM THE FIRST DRUMS TO THE MAMBO!

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

CUBA AND IT'S MUSIC FROM THE FIRST DRUMS TO THE MAMBO!

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:49 pm

GUYS IF YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW EVEN HAVANA WAS CREATED,THE PEOPLE, THE MUSIC, ALL ABOUT THE BEGINNING OF MUSIC FROM AFRICA TO EUROPE TO THE CARIBBEAN I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK BY NED SUBLETTE...it's 600 pages and slow reading but it is soooooooooooooo comprehensive and well written...Ned Sublette is a TEXAN who went to CUBA and did a CD with Cuban bands and groups including Los Munequitos it's called "Cowboy Rumba"...the first one hundred pages is about the beginning of how according to Ned WE ARE ALL FROM AFRICA!.and Muslim influences on the music.and more...and he explains it too!..."JC" Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Re: CUBA AND IT'S MUSIC FROM THE FIRST DRUMS TO THE MAMBO!

Postby Psych1 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:28 pm

JC, Just got the book and it looks great! Amazon delivers around the world - but customs opened it up looking for?
First day of Ramadan here - lasts for a month - nothing to do all day except read.
Psych1

Re: CUBA AND IT'S MUSIC FROM THE FIRST DRUMS TO THE MAMBO!

Postby pavloconga » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:50 am

JohnnyConga wrote: ...and Muslim influences on the music.and more...and he explains it too!...a

Thanks JC. Sounds like a great book and very comprehensive.
I'll look it up on Amazon.

Interesting what he says there about muslim influences on the music in Cuba.
When I was studying in la casa con el rumbero Chavalonga in La Habana he would begin some of the songs in the rumbas with the phrase "As-Salāmu Alaykum" (Peace be upon you) which as you may already know is an Arabic phrase commonly used by Muslims as well as others.
pavloconga

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students