Conga Books - Learning How to Play them

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby ReGGaeMaN » Mon Nov 05, 2001 4:01 am

I would like to know is wise to buy a book to learn on how to play congas? I know this web site has a lot of ifo on play congas.
ReGGaeMaN

Postby Percussions dot org » Mon Nov 05, 2001 8:04 am

I don't knbow too many boooks about learning Congas, but i can advice you to get at least this one which is in French : "Tumbaos de la Salsa" by Daniel Genton ( http://tumbaos.percussions.org/ ) or to get the video from Miguel Anga Diaz (http://www.percussions.org/index_home.p ... lsa&id=145)

I know lot of books are available for learning Congas, but there is so many than it will be hard to get a complete list of them...

(Edited by Percussions dot org at 7:07 am on Nov. 5, 2001)
Percussions dot org

Postby Mike » Mon Nov 05, 2001 7:10 pm

Well, I believe no matter with which Conga book or instructional tape you start - if you´re really into it, you´ll play, read, think about anything connected to CONGAS (mi amor)...!
Mike

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Nov 05, 2001 8:40 pm

ReggaeMan...I would also recommend the How to videos by Kalani and Bobby Sanabria. they are both very good instructional videos, rather than books..Hope that helps...JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby limberic » Tue Nov 06, 2001 2:09 am

Well, it might not be the "hippest" book around but if you are learning in a VACCUM, Like I am in Pocatello, Idaho - land of potatos, sugar beats, cattle, and scared sheep - Sansby & Dworsky's book - Conga Drumming: A Beginner's Guide to Playing with Time (& their accompanying video, which is humorously weird in parts) has been a big help to me. Bobby Sanabria's tape has also been VERY good, showing 3 different versions of Tumbao!

Man, if I could only have a flesh & blood teacher - but Poncho Sanchez and his Latin Jazz Band will be 50 miles north, in Idaho Falls, in March 2002. Bro', I'm simply living for that!!!

Good Luck,
Eric

(Edited by limberic at 1:15 am on Nov. 9, 2001)
limberic

Postby Mike » Sat Nov 10, 2001 6:46 pm

Man, you are Lucky, flesh and blood teachers are only less than 60 miles away. I live in a highly poulated, but un-Cuban, un-Conga, un-...-interesting area where it is extremely difficult (i mean impossible) to find a teacher of congas at all.
So Ithe only thing I could do was to get heady and eat all that book fodder the market has in stock.
But mind you: Listening is also important for the musical context, ...

That´s all I have to contribute. Sorry.
Mike

Postby ReGGaeMaN » Sun Nov 11, 2001 12:05 am

I dont have a TV so the how to videos is out. thats why i was looking into a book.
ReGGaeMaN

Postby niallgregory » Mon Nov 12, 2001 8:45 pm

an excellent book is ed uribe,s "the essence of afro cuban percussion and drumset.this is the most comprehensive book ive seen,covering congas,timbales,bongo,guiro and some shekere parts.he then shows all the relevant grooves on the drumset,there is also chapters on bass parts,piano montunos,tres and guitar parts and horn lines.there is also good historical background on all the percussion instruments and there development
niallgregory

Postby Percussions dot org » Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:14 am

Dear Nial Gregory, could you share with the board the reference of the book you talk about ? "the essence of afro cuban percussion"

I need at least name of Editor...

Thanks by adavance
Percussions dot org

Postby tamboricua » Tue Nov 13, 2001 4:19 pm

The Essence of Afro-Cuban Percussion by Ed Uribe is published by Warner Brothers Publications.

Hope this helps!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Percussions dot org » Wed Nov 14, 2001 10:47 am

thanks for information
Percussions dot org

Postby CongaMan » Thu Nov 15, 2001 1:06 am

That's the book:
CLICK HERE

Bye
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby Percussions dot org » Thu Nov 15, 2001 12:44 pm

Hey thanks for the link ;)

Fortunaltly, editor seems to send for free a sample of the book to make a review available on dot org ;)

Thanks anyway
Percussions dot org

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students