My 'kung fu' slap and regular slap..

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Re: My 'kung fu' slap and regular slap..

Postby Anonimo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:07 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:49 pm

Well Hermano Leedy yes a slap is a slap is a slap..but you cant get a slap from a tone, as you said..so I disagree with you there....now there are these kinds of slaps THAT I KNOW!...

Open slap(similar to a jimbe slap)
Muted slap(where the left sits on the drum head and the right hand slaps inside)
Closed slap (that is where you grabbed the drum head or as i say "stick it' with your fingers to the head)
Patato/Bata slap (which is done at the top of the head of the drum with the left hand)...

and Yes I took Karate from 1965 to 1968 with Master Henry Cho 8th Degree black belt in NYCity and also studied in Europe with Elvis Presley's Karate teacher there Sensei Kantner in Feudenheim,Germany.. Sensei Conga :D
JohnnyConga

Postby goingquinto » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:12 pm

OK, resort to calling me a moron. That's what happens when you can't defend your postions, you resort to name calling. How adult of you.

And there are vids of me playing here on this site. I was in the group Bamboche when I lived in CO. Some of the vids have been posted by windhorse (aka Dave) And on top of it, I already said I'm no expert, I said I have fun. And that's the main deal, I have fun. I don't come on here to tell people what they are doing wrong, or to tell them what they can't or shouldn't do. I come to share ideas and positive insights, and to learn from some really great congueros here.

I don't even know why I responded, I could tell you were itching for some confrontation. I guess I was in the mood to give it to you.

Correction... I thought I had some vids on the Bamboche thread, but not so. I just went and looked. I could have sworn there were some of the older Bamboche vids.
goingquinto

Postby jorge » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:41 am

JohnnyConga wrote:now there are these kinds of slaps THAT I KNOW!...
Open slap(similar to a jimbe slap)
Muted slap(where the left sits on the drum head and the right hand slaps inside)
Closed slap (that is where you grabbed the drum head or as i say "stick it' with your fingers to the head)
Patato/Bata slap (which is done at the top of the head of the drum with the left hand)...

OK, JC now we're talking. There are 4 right there. I would also differentiate a quinto slap with 3 fingers at the close edge of the drum muted with the other hand, a nice dry sounding slap used on quinto and playing guiro on a low drum. Not quite as loud but real clean sounding. What you call a Patato/Bata slap I learned as the old school slap used on a tack head conga when the skin went down after playing for a while. Same slap, different description. Your "kung fu" slap is what you are calling the closed slap, right?

Some people also play a slap with a couple fingers of the other hand touching in a line about 1/3 way in from the rim (2/3 from the edge to the center), that gives a nice sound almost like a big old hollow wood clave. Regalao showed me that on a quinto, but some people used to play salsa that way too. You can get almost the same sound with a closed slap but not quite as clean sounding.

So we have about 6 different conga slaps each with a distinct sound used in different settings.
jorge

Postby Anonimo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:30 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Previous

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students