Which is your favorite Conga solo ever recorded and by who?

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:22 pm

No it is not easy but attainable,even down to the second he drops an elbow to go into to those flams he does. I thinks there where it is,gotta listen to again and again,like I can never get tired of it.. It is a truly "Perfect" solo by Bill Fitch. Giovanni has even used parts of thst solo in his soloing,I've seen him do it and if you ask him he will tell you just I what I said. JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby benbaboon » Tue Dec 04, 2001 6:48 am

That's a tough one to answer.... so many great solos out there.... so many that are already at an uncomparable top.
I got curious about Fitch which was mentioned above though.... can anyone get more specific as far as an album recommendation?
benbaboon

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Dec 05, 2001 3:21 pm

The best representation of Bill fitch's playing is on the album with Cal Tjader "Sona Libre". He was versatile, in his playing, being able to deliver a variety of rhythmic styles, with Cal. ......JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Dec 05, 2001 6:24 pm

Hey people chek out my conga solo at my web site ...on the tune Siempre Me Va Bien! http://www.ShowGigs.com/JohnnyConga .....on the Audio page.....what do you think? Open for criticism and questions......JC JOHNNY CONGA.....
JohnnyConga

Postby benbaboon » Wed Dec 05, 2001 8:40 pm

That was pretty darn hot, JC! I also they like your band's interpretation of the piece.... much more interesting then Poncho Sanchez's execution of it.
One thing though.... and of course my own biases are involved here... I would have mixed the congas louder... at least for the solo.
thanks for interesting listening :)
benbaboon

Postby timo » Thu Dec 06, 2001 5:06 pm

JC the song sounds great!
i think the congas come out fine, pretty traditional for mixing, though the horns come out a lot, as they nearly allways do. the solo is amazing, really hot, are you improvizing? though i dont raelly know other versions of the song, it sounds graet.
timo

Postby CongaMan » Thu Dec 06, 2001 5:48 pm

I agree with timo! JUST A GREAT SOLO!
I wish I could do something like that :sad: .... next life :smile:

Well done JC!
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Dec 06, 2001 6:07 pm

Thank you ...I agree I wasn't totally happy with the sound on the congas,either...JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Dec 06, 2001 6:13 pm

Thanks guys...... a LOT of work went into that recording ,we did it LIVE, first or second take. My solos were all improvised. My CD will be Re-released soon . I will let you know when it is available. I have only been doing this now for 36 years and still learning.....Gotta Luv it!....Peace and Practice......JC JOHNNY CONGA....Ps You only sound as good as the guys around you,so surround yourself with the best!
JohnnyConga

Postby Mike » Thu Dec 06, 2001 6:44 pm

Hats off to JohnnyConga for the solo, I like it very much!

One more thing concerning Bill Fitch: The song Insight is also to be found on the Verve 2 CD set (527 903 - 2 )More than Mambo - The introduction to Afro-Cuban Jazz .
This is good mixture, many "historical" recordings, rumberos from the street like Patato y Totico. Recommendable, many nice solos included.
Mike

Postby Mike » Thu Dec 06, 2001 6:53 pm

Oh, by the way, JC, what else is on your forthcoming album? I´m a bit curious.. Lots of solos, hopefully.. :-) I think the congaforum yearns for some more information, do we? ;-)
Mike

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Dec 08, 2001 4:13 pm

Well Mike of course there will bo solos and lots of them..I am from the "First Skool" (not the "old skool") my band style is a combination of Mongo, Tjader( I play vibes too) and Puente. I emulate Mongo in my sound with 2 saxes and trumpet. which nobody seems to use, cool for me. I will have new material,original on my next CD and a few surprises. Right now I am waiting for the manufacturing of my first CD,for it's first "REAL" distributed release on BR Records. I will keep you updated on that. What I also have on my first CD is my percussion ensamble "Origins" where we play Rumba,Bomba,Yesa,etc. I have 2 bands one Latn Jazz and the other afro-caribbean. I am glad everyone is enjoying my work,there is more to come UN-PA-KIN!....JC JOHNNY CONGA..... Thanks again.....
JohnnyConga

Postby Mike » Sat Dec 08, 2001 4:43 pm

Thanks alot, JC, I think I got your musical point! Your sneak preview sounds great and really interesting. The mallet or vibe thing in general is definitely cool. (Besides, not totally un-Cuban as far as the African origins are concerned).
And a brass section is also good, no matter if 4 trombones , sax+trp+tromb. or whatever ...

Thanks again for your information
Mike

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Dec 09, 2001 2:29 pm

I am also on the NEW Bobby Ramirez CD "Pan Con Bistec" soon to be released. I will let you know when it is out.....Peace and Congas....JC JOHNNY CONGA.... PS,also any records by Justi Barretto I would recommend ,he's not around anymore but made some very good Guaguanco albums.
JohnnyConga

Postby timo » Tue Dec 11, 2001 9:30 am

The Best Conga solo I ever heard is by a man called
Burning Spear ,(aka. Winston Rodney, singer/percussionist), (also the group is called Burning Spear).and it was the most amazing thing i ever heard in my life, like rolling thunder, though i doubt it is recorded since i heard him play it live in Helsinki, Finland.
sorry guys not Latin music! but Reggae!!!
timo

PreviousNext

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students