video Jerry Gonzales - video conga mania Jerry Gonzales

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby Bill Losh » Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:12 pm

Has anyone seen the video conga mania by Jerry Gonzales? Is it worth getting, where can you get it, whats in it? ???
Bill Losh

Postby tamboricua » Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:37 pm

Hi Bill, hope all is well! This video is a must for the serious conguero. It features Jerry Gonzales, Andy Gonzales, Milton Cardona, Richito Flores, and Steve Berrios. They go over many Afrocaribbean rhythms: Guaguancó, Columbia, Bomba Sicá, Plena, Oriza, etc. Regarding availability, I have seen it for auction at e-bay.com for $10.00, truly a bargain.

Hope this helps!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Aug 04, 2002 3:56 pm

:D I am sorry but I have to disagree with you Jorge. I think one that Jerry is too high to even Teach properly. Notice the raspy voice. I have known and loved Jerry before he could even play ,way back in my day in the Bronx. He is a formidable musician for sure and very talented but a Teacher he is not. I'm sorry that is my opinion. Of course what they are playing is the real deal, but basically they are just "showing" you how "they' play it. And Jerry got a nice buzz going,unfortunatly. Jerry has been my friend for many years and we have hung out many times that is why I can say what I say.And if he was in front of me I would still say the same thing. Don't be fooled by a Musicans name,check out the history first....My 3 cents....BTW Jorge I have left Miami so I guess you were never gonna take lessons with me in the first place......huh?...."Action speaks louder that words"!
At your Service....JC JOHNNY CONGA.....
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Sun Aug 04, 2002 5:56 pm

Johnny, I totally understand your point and agree with you regarding Jerry's problem. But we learn something from everyone. Don't we? The video is worth the price just to see Richito's performance! Like I said before, there must be another Jorge in the Congaforum that contacted you for lessons. I'm based in Dallas, Texas.

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Bill Losh » Mon Aug 05, 2002 12:36 am

Thanks for the response, both opinions taken into consideration. While we are on the subject of musicians, Richie Flores, who does he play with, and where could I hear him. I have been told he could give Giovanni a good run for the money in a very similar style. And I noticed his name was on the Jerry Gonzales video.
JC loved your sound clips! Also, check the posting, it was a Jorge in Kendall that wrote you. :0
Bill Losh

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Aug 05, 2002 2:25 am

:D Jorge G--Disculpame brother....I didn't realize there were 2 Jorge's. Yes I learn from everything I see and hear and probably learned something from Jerry s video too. U right everybody "should" be heard despite their "individualness". Ritchie can give Gio a little run for the money,sorry for me right now Gio is the Man!. Ritchie a close second. "Whoever gets to do it first,gets the credit"......I will reserve my opinions of other congeros in the future,unless asked. At your Service....JC JOHNNY CONGA....PS..I can only speak from personal experiences that I have had with the people that I talk about,Jerry and I have had our share together. "I don't speak on what I don't know to be true!".JC
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Tue Aug 06, 2002 3:24 pm

Hi Bill, hope all is well! Richito Flores is a young tumbador from Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico. He resides in New York these days.
He took Giovanni's chair after Gio left "Batacumbele". He has worked with Roberto Roena's Apollo Sound, Zaperoko, Cachao, Caribbean Jazz Project, Deep Rumba, Eddie Palmieri, plus a bunch of other people. Check out the last one by Caribbean Jazz Project, "The Gathering". Hope this helps!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio ;)
tamboricua

Postby carlitos » Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:26 am

I have that video and it's ok I skip alot of the history lessons and go straight to the rumba, I enjoy the video but not for instructional purposes. I heard Jerry play back in July in a small club called El Zumbador or something, in Barrio Obreo he sat in for a set with Cachete Maldonado, rumba at it's finest
Carlitos :D
carlitos

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students