History of Songo

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby Simon B » Sun Dec 01, 2002 10:12 pm

Anyone seen the Giovanni / Changuito 'History of Songo' video? I'm really taken by Songo at present and am trying to shape a current project in that direction. Is it a good resource?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby CongaMan » Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:25 am

Hi Simon,
I've got that video and I'm sure you will enjoy it as I did...
It's past a bit of time since I watched the last time but if you want more info I can read the booklet and watch the tape again to be more accurate in my review...

I could also scan some pages and send them to you by mail. The book desribes with score exactly what's on the tape (solo included) ... the video includes timbales, congas and drum-set mainly performed by Changuito.

Some rhythms can bee seen in slow motion which is somethin' good!

Changuito / History of the Songo

This link brings you to the congastore where you may find some product review left by our visitors and then I suggest you to check what other kind of info you can obtain from the shop we are affiliated with. Click on GO SHOPPING to view the page.

Let me know if i can be of any further help :)
Ciao!

Edited By CongaMan on Dec. 04 2002 at 02:33
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby Simon B » Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:25 pm

Thanks for the help, Congaman. I now own a copy - a friend bought one for me at knock-down price due to the case being damaged! The video itself seems comprehensive, and most of the patterns were new to me. Some of them are noticeably funky, and it is interesting at the end when Changuito talks about his influences from American jazz drummers. A lesson to those (and I think there are some) who think that Cuban music somehow evolved as a pure element untouched by the rest of the world. We all listen to each other!

Simon B
Simon B

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students