Favorite Latin Jazz Artist?

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby RayBoogie » Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:54 am

What is your favorite Latin Jazz Artist? My favorite is not a percussionist nor latin, but the man has SOUL. Cal Tjader to me is the best vibraphonist of all time and my favorite Latin Jazz Artist "EVER". I have almost all his cd's as a bandleader and I never get tired of listening to his tracks. One of my favorite tracks is "Serengeti". This track is simply HOOOOOTTTTTTT!!!!!!! What is your's???
RayBoogie

Postby RayBoogie » Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:10 am

In my opinion Cal Tjader version of "Serengeti" is better than Mark levine and his Latin Tinge. I needed to add this comment, I forgot to put it in the last post...
RayBoogie

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:34 pm

:D Hi Ray I got about 70 Albums by Cal Tjader, one of my favorites is Sona Libre with Bill fitch on congas. Your welcome to come over sometime and chek out my collection of Mongos,Ray Barretto's,Candido,JackCostanzos, and Sabu Martinez albums. i also took up the vibes 2 years ago and now play them in my mambo Jazz Octet. I have since composed 7 new originals to be on my next CD....Peace....JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby benbaboon » Tue Jun 25, 2002 8:49 pm

Latin jazz is a term that can be interpreted many ways. If you go with the broad one then I'm torn between Cachao and Kip Hanrahan.
benbaboon

Postby RayBoogie » Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:44 am

JC, those guy's are hot too. Ben, I never of Kip Hanrahan what type of instrument does he play.
RayBoogie

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:33 am

:D Some NYC history for ya if u weren't there. In the mid 70's to the early 80's there were what we called the "Loft Jams". On like east 14th street,musicians that lived in the lofts in that area threw jams. Kip Hanrahan recorded "Loft Sessions", in the early 80's. With Daniel Ponce. Giovanni, Milton Cardona, and others. He was also instrumental in signing Jerry Gonzales, to his label "American Clave" records for his first album. check out his album "Vertical's Currency" . the music was very improvised,spontaneous,and eclectic,somtimes with vocals,sometimes just outright jam with Gio and Milton for a minute and then something totally different. Actually for me my first personal experience with Latin Jazz came when I joined the Felipe "Phil" Diaz Latin Jazz sextet,at the tender age of 15. I was that good to make the band but he took me to Music training camp 101. Taught me about "Afinque", dynamics,soloing and was like a Big Brother to me. Everyone else in the band was in their 30's or more. But they took me in and were kind and patient with me.My first school of Latin Jazz I owe to Phil Diaz,him and Tjader were personal friends and I knew them both, what a blessing that was!.....At your service....JC JOHNNY CONGA...... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby RayBoogie » Fri Jun 28, 2002 4:37 am

JC, how was it to "the Man", Cal Tjader? He seemed very cool guy.... :D
RayBoogie

Postby benbaboon » Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:47 pm

Kip hanrahan's current band "Deep Rumba" has a couple of hot albums out there...
On his older ones vertical currency I thought was fairly weak...
check out "exotica" "all roads are made of the flesh" and "desire develops an edge" first.
enjoy! -bb :D
benbaboon

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:49 pm

:D Yea Ben.... Currency is weak but that is the first one I pulled from my library. There are at least 4 others,that are better, for sure..Cal was Mr.Cool all the way. He did have a drinking problem later in life that got the best of him,unfortunatly.Believe it or not they just released 2 or 3 albums/CDs by him, just recently. For me vibe players are Cal Tjader-Milt Jackson-Johnny Lytle-Bobby Hutcherson-Bobby Pauneto-Nick Jimenez(Joe Cuba). Nobody sounds like Tjader.....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby RayBoogie » Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:01 am

JC, do you know the names of the 2-3 re-releases of Cal Tjader. I would love to pick them up. :D
RayBoogie

Postby Laurent Lamy » Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:58 am

I like very much:

Charlie Sepulveda/Algo Nuetro
/The new arrival
Osmany Paredes con Menduvia

Bye
Laurent Lamy

Postby Simon B » Sun Jul 07, 2002 8:52 pm

Bobby Hutcheson - indeed he is a fantastic player. Did he do Latin albums, though? I first discovered him on Out to Lunch by Eric Dolphy, when I wanted to be the best jazz drummer in the world and sound just like Tony Williams.

A note on Sona Libre - despite the hundreds of other available Tjader albums I can't find it on vinyl or CD here in the UK. It didn't seem available on the US sites I checked either.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby tamboricua » Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:06 pm

Ralphy Irizarry's Timbalaye

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby muddy323 » Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:11 pm

I like Cal Tjader, Poncho Sanchez, Jerry Gonzales.
Cal was the 1st to bring me to latin jazz. with that smooth sound. Poncho is like tough and tender. Im yet to find a bad CD from El Conquero who have alot of Tjader in his music. Jerry G. may be the best musician of them all but i dont hear much from him.
muddy323

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:01 am

Has everyone forgotten my "Godfather" Mongo Santamaria,who had a LOT to do with bringing Latin Jazz to the forfront and remember he was a sideman long before Poncho or Jerry or me were around. Check DustyGrooveAmerica.com for Cal Tjaders "Sona Libre" album they just might have it. Mongo is the one with the most credited history with over 85 albums to his credit under his own name. He is the one that influenced me the most and any drummer who grew up in NYC where Mongo Lived,along with Julito Collazo and Patato Valdes the other "Godfathers". Here are the List of "Godfathers" Chano Pozo-Candido Camero-Mongo-Patato-Julito and Fransisco Aguabella. they are the first group of "Rumbero" drummers from Cuba that came and settled here in the U.S. And influenced any and every drummer there after.....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA....
;) ;) ;)
JohnnyConga

Next

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students