Supernatural rhythms and grooves DVD - Has anyone had experience with it?

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby Chelsea » Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:38 am

There's an instructional DVD on Amazon.com called 'Supernatural Rhythms and Grooves' by Santana's percussionists Raul Rekow and Karl Perazzo. I was wondering if anyone has seen this one, and has good (or bad) things to say about it?

Thanks.
"Every instrument has to abide by the Clave. Stay on the Clave and you'll make it." - Tito Puente
Chelsea

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:45 am

i haven't heard it but it just sounds like a "play on words" from the Supernatural Santana album and them marketing the term. There is no such thing as "supernatural" rhythms that I know of. Maybe in Lucumi or Palo maybe....Just my thoughts....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby congabebe » Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:01 pm

Hi,
Yes, I bought the video 'Supernatural Grooves'. I would say if you are not a Santana fan and you don't like the
'Supernatural' album, it will not be what you are looking for.

I love Santana and I was very happy to see this video and watch the percussionists talk about what motivated them in the music and how they played as an ensemble. It is not a 'teaching method video', it is more like a discussion and teaching of the music that is on the album. They break down percussion parts in the album. They show notation for certain parts in the album. They mention and discuss how they used traditional latin rhythms in the album. It does not go into history or do an indepth explanation, but it will fuel your curiosity and motivation to play if you are a beginner.

It is a light fun video and it was good to see the percussionists and hear what inspires them. They are the driving force in the band and the live performances of Santana never show off the percussionists like they should. I am constantly frustrated at how the camera men and production managers that film Santana fail to show the percussionists during the solos. If you are a big Santana fan, this will be a treat. I really like the video and the cd that came with it gives you music to play along and work with.

I hope this helps.
Congabebe :D
congabebe

Postby Chelsea » Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:37 am

Thanks congabebe, that's a really good recommendation. I'm a huge fan of Santana (particularly Raul and Karl) so the video sounds great.

I've got the 'Supernatural Live' DVD and my only criticism of it is there's far too little footage of the percussionists.

Can't wait to see them live in a month or so.
"Every instrument has to abide by the Clave. Stay on the Clave and you'll make it." - Tito Puente
Chelsea

Postby congamyk » Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:15 pm

I bought this DVD (which came with an audio CD of all tracks). It was 'ok'. I am not a big fan of Santana (though I like Karl and Raul).

I did like the arrangements on this CD better than the 'pop' crap I have heard from Santana on the radio and the singer was way better than the 'pop singer' morons they used on the original CD.

Carlos Santana is a sell-out. Maybe Karl & Raul will start their own band....hah-hah ... (HEY - MUST BE THE MONEY $$$$!)
congamyk

Postby congabebe » Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:43 am

Hi Congamyk,

If you say that he is a commercial musician, I will agree with you. Santana has had many great albums and flops. He has struggled many years as a musician in and out of the 'popular' music culture. I have been listening to Santana since I was in grade school. He has produced alot of Pop, but he is most remembered for the Latin/African/Rock style off the Moonflower and Abraksas albums. He exposed me to latin and africian music and I found a love for congas because of it. I applaud him for trying to bring several different cultures and musical tastes and artists together. It is true he did Supernatural and Shaman with the idea of hitting the pop charts and trying to influence a 'new culture' of teenagers away from the voilent music that is being listened to. I thought it was great that the album did so well.

I hate the label 'sell-out', it is so de-humanizing. Anyone who has a record released as to gamble and play with the money managers and producers that put the money up to sell and advertise and market an album. In the music industry it is very hard to get the attention or get a contract to even get a record deal, so over half of the artists who sign a contract give up alot of 'their original' ideas just to get one album produced on the hopes that the next time they will get to have more control. There are very few 'artist's that don't have to 'sell-out' in order to get a shot at making it.

As far as being a traditional "latin" musician, he is not. I think of him as one of the greatest, because he puts together a great bunch of musicians and writers and he tries to bring people together. He preaches love and peace and harmony in the world and this to me makes him great.

Peace,
Congabebe

;)
congabebe

Postby Fish » Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:05 pm

Agreed, congabebe.....

Also I think he has done a great service in bringing Latin and African elements into (semi) mainstream Western music.

Congamyk, I don't like his poppier stuff as much as his older stuff either but I don't see that as any reason to label it "crap". I also very much doubt he's really in it for the money. I'm sure he's got easily enough to live very comfortably by now and remember he gives enormous chunks of it to charity.

Just a few thoughts.....

Fish
Fish

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students