Anga Diaz Video - review

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby 106-1028519773 » Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:58 pm

Has anyone watched the video Anga Mania! by Miguel Anga Diaz? Is it any good?
106-1028519773

Postby tamboricua » Tue Oct 22, 2002 3:20 pm

jbotz5 wrote:Has anyone watched the video Anga Mania! by Miguel Anga Diaz? Is it any good?

Very nice! A must, for the serious conguero.

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio

http://www.rhythmweb.com/jorge
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:48 pm

HI ..THIS IS MY PROFESSIONAL OPINION...Anga is very technically efficient but he does not Teach. To Teach you need a Method. That is what is lacking. Anyone as proficient can sit and play whatever. But how did he get there? What did he practice? How did he practice? Even Giovanni doesn';t show you how he got there. What is the purpose of different styles of approach and What about Rhythms? What are they ? Where did they come from? How are they interpreted and performed. This is Method... there is more to Teaching then just sitting and "showing off"......I rest my opinion....At your Service ...JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby 120decibels » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:16 pm

Johnny,

I thoroughly agree with you. When I first took up a serious study of the congas, I thought that I could learn from the videos. A figured, what the ####, I've been playing and practicing at a professional level for a long time.

It is much more difficult to learn when you don't have the whole story!

Once I found a teacher that had experience, could teach me the rhythms, how to develop them, and most importantly (in my opinion) thier history, I really started to get it. The videos are great to supplement things. I've learned a lot from Gio's, Anga's, Jerry Gonzalez's, and Skip Brummel's (has anyone heard of Skip?) tapes, but I could have sat there all day and analyzed what they were doing. I wouldn't have figured out the feel, the way the rhythm fits with the rest of the band, etc. A good teacher is the only way to do that. I have learned a lot about musicality and congas from my teacher that could never be taught in a video (again, in my opinion).

My $0.02,

Zach
120decibels

Postby Muata » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:25 am

I have Anga's video and after watching it the first time, I was laughing my a$$ off because they actually sell this as an "instructional" video. Yeah right ??? I like Anga, and he is one of my favorite new generation congueros, but if you decide to buy this video, which I encourage you to, keep in mind that this is more of a "performance" video than instructional.

One Love,
Muata
Muata

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students