Papo Pepín-Al Natural! - Debut Solo CD!

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby tamboricua » Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:43 pm

Check out New York veteran percussionist Mr. Papo Pepin, in his first solo CD.

Papo Pepin, Al Natural!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
http://www.congaplace.com/musician/jorgeginorio
tamboricua

Postby RitmoBoricua » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:53 pm

Guapea Papo!
RitmoBoricua

Postby Raymond » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:52 pm

I will definitively buy it. Papo is one, if not, of my favorite congueros. (I hope they bring it to PR).

Saludos
Raymond

Postby tamboricua » Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:39 pm

Raymond wrote:I will definitively buy it. Papo is one, if not, of my favorite congueros. (I hope they bring it to PR).

Saludos

It is on Faisan Records (Faisan 506). Check with Distribuidora Nacional or Discos Viera en la Calle Sierra, Santurce, Puerto Rico.

Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Tonio » Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:02 pm

Sorry to bring up a old thread, but did'nt Papo play with Mark Antony? Like Necesito Amarte?

Tony
Tonio

Postby tamboricua » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:36 pm

Tonio wrote:Sorry to bring up a old thread, but did'nt Papo play with Mark Antony? Like Necesito Amarte?

Tony

Hi Tonio, hope all is well! Yes, Papo Pepín is on that Marc Anthony album, and numerous others. Go to descarga.com and do a quick search under his name, he is credited in more than 50 albums, from artists like India, Marc Anthony, Junior Gonzalez, Isaac Delgado, Victor Manuel, Apollo Sound, and so on. Definitely, Papo is one of the first call studio musicians in New York City.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on Sep. 08 2003 at 22:16
tamboricua

Postby Tonio » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:00 pm

a ha!! Thank you Jorge

Tony
Tonio

Postby Raymond » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:21 pm

Tonio,

Papo was in Marc Anthony's Otra Nota which is his first salsa album. In my opinion, the best showcase of his tumbaos since his time with Willie Rosario's Gracias Mundo. His tumbao in "Si Tu No Te Fueras" in that album is outstanding. It is classici. Every one that wants to learn about Papo's style, have to listen to it.

Yes, still at his age, Papo is one of the session players most sought after in New York. He is somebody from the "old school" that "jumped" with the new school. I will dare to say that together with Roberto Rohena, the famous bongosero, are the only percussionists used on current recordings that are from the golden era of salsa. It is not a coincidence that Papo and Rohena are considered among the most influential percussionists with most of the current modern session players in salsa...... Ask them and they will tell you.

Looking forward to get the record. (Already looking. No luck so far here in PR).

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby RitmoBoricua » Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:14 pm

Hi, you know Roberto Roena and Papo Pepin were "teammates" on the Apollo Sound, outstanding combo, also Papo used to gig a lot with Willie Colon some years ago. :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby tamboricua » Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:48 pm

RitmoBoricua wrote:Hi, you know Roberto Roena and Papo Pepin were "teammates" on the Apollo Sound, outstanding combo, also Papo used to gig a lot with Willie Colon some years ago. :)

Add to that dinamic duo, Orestes Vilató on timbal. Puro saoco!!!!! I believe the three of them, are together in various Apollo Sound albums, although I don't know if Orestes Vilató was ever a fix member of Roena's Apollo Sound, can't remember.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby RitmoBoricua » Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:47 pm

I do not think oreste got credit for playing timbal with apollo sound on them fania albums for the most part were Endel Dueno and Cuqui Santos, probably orestes did some overdubbing or something, standard practice on them days. :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby tamboricua » Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:57 pm

RitmoBoricua wrote:I do not think oreste got credit for playing timbal with apollo sound on them fania albums for the most part were Endel Dueno and Cuqui Santos, probably orestes did some overdubbing or something, standard practice on them days. :)

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. He did never get credited for it. Talking about Apollo Sound, check out Endel Dueño solo on "Herencia Rumbera". Killer!!!!!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Tonio » Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:35 pm

Raymond wrote:Tonio,

Papo was in Marc Anthony's Otra Nota which is his first salsa album. In my opinion, the best showcase of his tumbaos since his time with Willie Rosario's Gracias Mundo. His tumbao in "Si Tu No Te Fueras" in that album is outstanding. It is classici. Every one that wants to learn about Papo's style, have to listen to it.

Yes, still at his age, Papo is one of the session players most sought after in New York. He is somebody from the "old school" that "jumped" with the new school. I will dare to say that together with Roberto Rohena, the famous bongosero, are the only percussionists used on current recordings that are from the golden era of salsa. It is not a coincidence that Papo and Rohena are considered among the most influential percussionists with most of the current modern session players in salsa...... Ask them and they will tell you.

Looking forward to get the record. (Already looking. No luck so far here in PR).

Saludos!

Raymond,
Yeah Papo's style is hot. Thanks for the history, I did'nt know too much about him. Time to get some cd's!!!!

Tony
Tonio

Postby Raymond » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:52 pm

I do not think Vilato recorded with Rohena. I know Endel Dueno was with the band on the heyday twice. Cuqui Santos, now with El Gran Combo, replaced Endel Dueno in Apollo 7. Endel's solo in Herencia Rumbera? I consider it among, if not the best, timbale solo ever in salsa recordings. (At least in the "speed" category is the best).

Papo was with Willie Colon for awhile. (That is where I met him for the first time about two years ago). He lived in PR, then left for New York, and came back with Rohena for awhile. Then he left and went back to New York where he still lives.

It is to note that Rohena has always had great percussionists to complement him. After his first wave of success in the 70s, when he tried to comeback in the 80s, he recruited two kids, one 21 or 22 and the other around 16 or 17, to play timbales and conga with him. The 21 year old was Tito de Gracia, who still records in Rohena's records, and the 16 year old was Richie Flores..... Very impressive.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:19 pm

Raymond wrote:I do not think Vilato recorded with Rohena. I know Endel Dueno was with the band on the heyday twice. Cuqui Santos, now with El Gran Combo, replaced Endel Dueno in Apollo 7. Endel's solo in Herencia Rumbera? I consider it among, if not the best, timbale solo ever in salsa recordings. (At least in the "speed" category is the best).

Papo was with Willie Colon for awhile. (That is where I met him for the first time about two years ago). He lived in PR, then left for New York, and came back with Rohena for awhile. Then he left and went back to New York where he still lives.

It is to note that Rohena has always had great percussionists to complement him. After his first wave of success in the 70s, when he tried to comeback in the 80s, he recruited two kids, one 21 or 22 and the other around 16 or 17, to play timbales and conga with him. The 21 year old was Tito de Gracia, who still records in Rohena's records, and the 16 year old was Richie Flores..... Very impressive.

Saludos!

That timbal sola at warp speed by Endel is just incredible. :)
RitmoBoricua

Next

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students