Question about suitable videos

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby kerabe » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:27 pm

Hi,
I am new on this Forum, whether I know this site long time. Here in Czech Republic (for those who don't know - it is in central Europe), there is big problem to gain any information about percussion or to find any good teacher and this is why I appreciate this site very much.
I have two question about instructional Videos:
1) I need some video which would show me if I am on the right way with my technique on congas. You know, I listened to great congueros, looked at them in concerts and I think that my strokes sounds quite good but I want to be sure, that I haven't learnt some bad habits. Besides, I would like this video to teach me also some new rhythms and exercises.. I am thinking over Bobby Sanabria's third video which attracts me because of Guaguanco part but I don't know if there is reviewed the technique...???
2) Is there any video covering playing timbales and congas at the same time?I thing that among others it is Changuito who masters this technique.
I will be glad for any advice.
Kerabe

P.S.: If you knew about any good teacher in my invirons (Germany, the Netherlands..) who teaches Afro-Cuban instruments, that would also help me very much.
kerabe

Postby Tonio » Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:42 pm

Holla Kerabe,
I don't know that specific video, but hey it won't hurt. Try anything you can. If you can only get it by mail order if feel for you.
If you are interested in rumba, look into Los Munequitos. There is alot of info on the web and video sources. Check out
descarga.com, kinda pricey but... good stuff.

Good luck.
Tonio

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:17 pm

Kerabe...do u listen to Radio Kraj?(from the Ukraine) I would recommend Pexstore.com for anything to do with Cuban drumming and music. They are in Florida,USA.....Welcome to the CongaForum.... ;) JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby kerabe » Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:10 pm

Thank you Tonio and Johnny Conga.

I have never heard about this radio Kraj, maybe because I can't catch their signal (Czech Republic is montainous country).I am surprised that you know some radio in Ukraine, whether you live so far from it. Do you have there some friend or you played there or you just know it...???

Can anybody help me with that video about playing timbales with one hand and conga with another? I read somewhere on net that Richie Gajate Garcia speaks about this topic in some of his videos, but I don't know in which one and how much time of the video he devotes to it.

Kerabe
kerabe

Postby Tonio » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:46 pm

I don't know if there is a instructional video for peforming timbales with congas. But that would be great, I actually
played in that setup alittle. I used my left hand for Timbales and right hand for Congas.
Richie Gajate is an octopus so, he would be the best for that
kind of instruction. He can play timbales, congas and two
cowbells(with Gajate bracket) with his feet. One of his videos does have him playing in that configuration, but I can't remember if instructions specifically are included. I may help you out. Since I have a copy of the video I'll watch this weekend to see if there is any instructions to let you know.
Its great learning to play clave with a gajate bracket and bell with one hand , and congas with the other.
It takes a while, but you must think like a trap(regular drum kit) drummer.
Let us know if you find any videos.

T

Edited By Tonio on Nov. 21 2003 at 22:48
Tonio

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:01 am

Hello Kerabe ..I know Radio Kraj because they are playing my CD on their radio site which you can get online and listen to there radio show......Peace....JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students