"Mano a Mano" or "Conga Virtuoso" - What is the difference between the two?

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby jinx » Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:57 pm

Hello everybody,

Can anyone tell me what are the differences betweeen these two videos? Also, in your opinion, which of these two videos is better? Is one video for intermediate students and the other for advanced students? Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
jinx

Postby Michael S » Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:28 pm

Hi jinx (sorry, had to do it),
I can only speak for the Virtuoso video as I do not have the Mano video. But I have been considering getting it so I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I recommend the Virtuoso video for anyone of any playing level. I'm a beginner, having played congas for only about three years, but I have learned much from the Virtuoso video. It came with a nice little booklet which transcribed what Gio did on screen. Much of the video is also performance, which will both inspire and frustrate, depending on your frame of mind.
I thought the mano a mano video might be a good substitute for a teacher but I can't quite work up to the $35 without at least seeing the video first to be sure.
Michael S

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:13 pm

Hi Mano a Mano is just Gio by himself showing you his power of rudiments and his infusion of the "tabla" method on congas that he has developed after studiying tabla with the great Zakir Hussain. Yes even Gio studies and why not, you will learn that conga drumming or any drumming for that matter is a "lifelong" experience. I have been at it since I was 6 years old and I'm 54 now and still learning. I have basically had my career and Im kinda just enjoying my life as a player/educator now. I think I won't be doing anymore "world" tours,as in the past but I still enjoy my gigs and still meeting these news "young lions" coming up. who like to goof on "my school" as being over the hill, but I can still whip some stuff on them. Always At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA..... ;) CHECK MY SITE AT http://www.Showgigs.com/JohnnyConga....
JohnnyConga

Postby Simon B » Sun Jan 19, 2003 9:24 pm

Both great videos. In a certain sense Mano a Mano does bring you closer to Gio's playing than Conga Virtuoso - camera angle is better, his solos and riffs easier to see and here (he solos over his own pre-recorded backing), techniques examined more closely and at length. Conga Virtuoso is more about interplay.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Michael S » Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:27 pm

As a beginner, three years ago I started with the Bobby Sanabria video (only the first one) and recommend that; camera angles are excellent and his teaching style is very personable. After that I discovered the Dworsky/Sansby method and still swear by that today. I highly recommend any of their books, not only for the transcription style but also because they teach traditional playing and rhythms, step by step in a slow building process. They even thought through ideas such as making the transcriptions large enough to read with the book laying on the floor and the publishers binding allowing the book to lay flat. They also have a good web site as well, http://www.dancinghands.com. They have a video, to accompany their book, which has gotten good reviews and features Raul Rekow in performance and Jorge Bermudez on instruction. I have not seen this video but, to judge by their books, I think it must be excellent.
Michael S

Postby DALE » Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:48 pm

Hi All!

I have Gio's "Conga Virtuoso","Mano a Mano",and the "Conga Drumming" video by Alan Dworsky & Betsy Sansby and all 3 have something to recommend them for consideration.

The Dworsky & Sansby video (and the companion book) is great for learning to play and covers some rhythms that aren't covered in other books. Also, seeing Raul Rekow play is a bonus and Jorge Bermudez is a fine instructor.

While, I agree that you can learn the rhythms from the "Conga Virtuoso" video,it is primarily a performance video and it's great that a transcription book of the performances are included. Also, check out his "In The Tradition" video.

"Mano a Mano" is billed as a one-on-one "master class" with Giovanni. He begins with showing exercises to limber up the arms,wrists,and hands,before playing and other exercises as well. Then, he progresses to doing basic R-L-R-L strokes on the drum to promote an eveness of tones. From there, he goes to the rudiments and beyond. Also, what's nice is that there is a "time counter" on the screen so that you can refer back to a particular segment and the instruction book that comes with the video has the same "time counter" listed at the corresponding transcription for easy reference (i.e. the video counter shows "10:10" and the book has the transcription that Gio's covering at "10:10").

I hope that this helps!

Dale
DALE

Postby RayBoogie » Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:37 am

Hey Michael S, I have that same video with Raul Rekow and Jorge Bermudez. Very informative, and they go through the techniques very slowly and step by step. I swear by that video! It has help in my development as a conguero tremendously.
RayBoogie

Postby congabebe » Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:35 am

I just got the Giovanni video "Conga Virtuoso". I was amazed, I had heard, but not seen how fast he can play. Now, I understand better. The Sanabria tape with Candido, looks impressively fast in movements, but he has definitely taken congas to another level. I was surprized that they were not consistent in whether they were going to use subtitles/Spanish or English. My guess is that they tried to put so much on tape, they took the best footage and made adjustments. Whatever the reason, I know I will be rewinding and playing this tape over and over while I am trying to practice with it. The booklet was very helpful. I think everyone needs to see this video. It is very inspiring and the booklet is very good in notating what he is playing.

I have spent years watching 'master' musicians come to town such as violinists, celloists, flutest, ... etc that have toured the world and performed all over the country. Why is he not touring? Or any other great conguero's touring? Or are they and it just doesn't come to the South? Is it drumming in general that is not considered for these world tours? the style of music? Any thoughts on that? I know that some of the education in schools has made Jazz a recognized course even in some high schools. Does it begin with education? or music promoters and recording company's?

Bringing more pondering thoughts to the forum? Of course.

Peace,
Congabebe

:p
congabebe

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:42 pm

Take it from me Gio is ALWAYS on the road. He usually does clinics at the local giant music stores Sam Ash ,guitar Center,etc. or he is touring with some group,but he does moslty clinics and workshops. He also tours with Planet Drum,Mickey hart group. The "Mano a Mano" is for the advanced student that already has some semblance of virtuosity. It kicks my butt, I don't think I;ll ever be able to play those 64th buzz note rolls that he does, but it isn't everything to playing either. Gio has definetly taken playing to a whole other plain,but there are others out there Like Luis Quintero(monster player) same vein as Gio .he plays with Bobby Sanabria's Orq. Paoli Mejias,Roberto Viscaino,Anga,and believe me in Cuba and here, there is some young lion preparing for the future of conga drumming...who will be the next Gio, if there is any?.......At your Service....JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby rhumbajo » Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:48 pm

Michael S wrote:As a beginner, three years ago I started with the Bobby Sanabria video (only the first one) and recommend that; camera angles are excellent and his teaching style is very personable.....

Hi, new member here. Wonderful forum, I look forward to learning from you guys!!! Sounds like the Bobby Sanabria video would be good for me (just starting out).

Question - in addition to instruction, does the Bobby Sanabria video #1 talk about the history of the conga and about drum selection?
As long as I have my family, my music, and popcorn... life is good. <c:
rhumbajo

Postby Johnny Conga » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:17 am

Speaking of Giovanni he is here in Seattle this week. I will be participating in his Master class with him and Pablito Rosario. Then on Friday night they are having a mini concert at the University of Washington with Joe Santiago-Julio Jarregui-Pablito Rosario-Giovanni and others. Afterwards there will be "un tremendo Rumbon"!......wish you were here!....JC JOHNNY CONGA...... :;):
Johnny Conga

Postby stlouieray » Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:37 pm

Yes, his video does talk about that. i'm fairly certain that it's vol. 1 that covers these topics.

Peace,

:;):

Ray
stlouieray

Postby mangorockfish » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:29 am

Rhumbajo, Bobby's videos are great for beginners. I have all three of them. I got the first one, learned tumbao, found a teacher and the first thing he taught me was what I learned from the first tape, then we expanded upon it. LOL :blues:
mangorockfish

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students