Where are the new conga inspiration videos? - Where the 'Anga Manias' for the 21st C.?

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby Simon B » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:45 pm

I'm fresh from watching 'Anga Mania' again. I can think of only three 'conga inspiration' videos - Giovanni's 'Conga Virtuouso', 'Mano a Mano', and the aforementioned Anga Diaz. What are the ingrediants? Firsly an incredible, forward-thinking, top-flight player. Secondly, a good deal of explosive demonstration to show and inspire other players right down the beginner level (a beginner might not be able to incorporate many of the techniques but what an inspiration to someone taking up the drum!). Thirdly, an instructional element, even if the 'lessons' constitute only brief tips. (Part of this is the sensation that the great player is divulging guarded secrets, however ridiculous this might seem in the context of a widely-available video recording!) Fourthly, philosophical musings, in which the great player thinks deeply about the drum and its place in his and our lives, about the art of practice, and so on.

I constantly return to the three videos I mentioned earlier; at intervals of many months, maybe. Can anyone suggest any that I have missed? New conga videos continue to be produced but these seem purely instructional. Surely other fine players could create their own 'conga inspiration' videos? Is it a failure of confidence by the production companies, or an unwillingness in the public to buy?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby tamboricua » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:59 pm

Hi Simon B,

Hope all is well! I just got a copy of "Traveling Through Time" DVD with Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez and Giovanni Hidalgo on Warner Brothers Publications. Over 2.5 hours film of this two master minds in action. Check it out, very inspiring performances!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Johnny Conga » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:40 pm

I have to say that though Anga is a great drummer he is not a "teacher". The video does not instruct the viewer rather than him "showing" his skills as a player. Gio is another story intirely. I don't think there will be any NEW videos while everyone is still learning from the ones that are out there already. The Tomas Cruz book/CD is out. I haven't seen it or heard it yet to comment on it. I did meet him In Miami and he is a good player, in one style-timba.....JC JOHNNY CONGA....
Johnny Conga

Postby franc » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:52 am

mi bro jorge. como esta?? thanks for the feed back on the horacio ''el negro'' hernandez and giovanni dvd , ''travelling throuht time''. i have not seen it in p.r. i will look for it ,though. my best and always take care!! ''con el coqui en clave'' ACHé to you and all in the forum!!, franc:D
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby tamboricua » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:25 pm

franc wrote:mi bro jorge. como esta?? thanks for the feed back on the horacio ''el negro'' hernandez and giovanni dvd , ''travelling throuht time''. i have not seen it in p.r. i will look for it ,though. my best and always take care!! ''con el coqui en clave'' ACHé to you and all in the forum!!, franc:D

Hola Franc,

Todo bien mi hermano, gracias a Dios! Franc, you can order it directly from Warner Bros. Publications by calling 1 (800) 628-1528. Pregunta por Marie, "la cubanita", ella habla español. Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby franc » Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:11 am

jorge,
thanks a lot, mi bro! i will do that. another thing , where do you live in the states?? i recall you live in washinton. d.c. am i right?? i will take this opportunity to ask you this.... how strong is the goat skin. do you recomend it for bongos??? thanks again, mi bro jorge. i do visit the forum a lot looking for your answers, comment and suggestions. i know i can count on all the advices that you guys posts. see you in the forum! Aché to you and all in the forum. ''con el coqui en clave'', franc. :)
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby tamboricua » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:46 am

No problem Franc, a la orden! I'm based this days in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area. I have never lived in the Washington DC area. Goat skins are too thin for the bongó. They are more suitable for the Djembé, Panderos de Plena y Barriles de Bomba. If you can find cueros venezolanos "Pan con Queso" those are the best! Check @ Timbas Ismael in Sierra Bayamón. Also, the late Iván Cáceres from Bongolandia.com used to carried them, but after his tragic dead I don't know if his business still operating. I know Raymond, actually can provide you with great info on where "en la isla" can you get some good bongó heads. Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1081734786
tamboricua

Postby Johnny Conga » Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:13 pm

You may want to try the New "Nuskyns" for bongos I have one on my Macho and it is just like X-ray film, used in the past on bongos and popular in Puerto Rico at one time. JC JOHNNY CONGA.... :;):
Johnny Conga

Postby franc » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:02 am

thanks alot for the info.J.C AND JORGE!!!!! i know i can count on you guys. i will look into that. jorge there is a ''bongolandia.com. i enterd last night and they sell all kind of skins, even mule skin. you know that ''mule'' are scarce. knowing you guys , you already know about the site.if not, check it out!! also do you guys recomend the ''throne'' for conga and bongo playing?? are they comfortable?? my best and take care!! franc:)
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby tamboricua » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:01 am

Hi Franc,

Hope all is well! Using a "drum throne" is a matter of personal preferences. There are players that prefer to use a regular chair. For me, it all depends on the gig I get called for. If I'm playing just tumbadoras or bongó, I like to use a "drum throne", especially if I'm using three or more tumbadoras. It's easier to move around the drums with a "drum throne" that on a regular chair. Now, there are gigs that I'm the only percussionist and besides playing tumbadoras I'm required to provide some type of backbeat, for this type of gig I sit on a cajón. On the other hand, If I'm playing batá or tambora dominicana I like to sit on a regular chair. Feel free to experiment, and do whatever feels best for you. Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Simon B » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:27 pm

What exactly is the 'Drum Throne'?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby tamboricua » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:32 pm

Simon B wrote:What exactly is the 'Drum Throne'?

Simon B

It is a drumset player chair.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby franc » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:52 am

jorge, como estas?? ojala q bien!!! thanks for for your help. i asked because i have gone places with the school salsa band and had the experience not finding a proper chair to play bongo. i would like to buy a handy and portable ''drum throne'', so i can take with me. thanks again for your input ok. it's great to have pros like you to count on. my best to you and yours!! also aché to you and the forum, your friend , franc :cool:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Simon B » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:04 pm

Hi Jorge

Is the 'throne' like a normal adjustable drum stool or is it actually a chair which supports the back as well? Is is a brand thing or just a generic product? I'm keen to know because I'm getting tired of sitting on any old stool that I find!

Simon B
Simon B

Postby tamboricua » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:33 pm

Simon B wrote:Hi Jorge

Is the 'throne' like a normal adjustable drum stool or is it actually a chair which supports the back as well? Is is a brand thing or just a generic product? I'm keen to know because I'm getting tired of sitting on any old stool that I find!

Simon B

Hi Simon,

It is a generic term used to refer to both desings you have mentioned. Although, I won't recommend the ones with the back support for bongó or tumbadora playing.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students