Travelling Through Time DVD

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby Simon B » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:14 am

Fantastic footage. The Giovanni solo and break-down of the solo is interesting. Many of his approaches to the solo are familiar, but discharged with even more unerring speed and accuracy than before. His break-down of the solo is slightly disappointing, in that he describes vaguely the techniques he is using: flams, double-strokes of all sorts, palm-tip, independence (especially triplet time over straight time), nail taps, etc. But he gives absolutely nothing on how one builds up to and actually executes these - exactly how he is producing his double, how his hand feels when doing an open slap, and so on. As our man JC says, he is not 'teaching' as such. I was hoping that this time round he would change this. But no messing around - the man is a genius player, el mejor.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby RitmoBoricua » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:49 pm

Simon B wrote:Fantastic footage. The Giovanni solo and break-down of the solo is interesting. Many of his approaches to the solo are familiar, but discharged with even more unerring speed and accuracy than before. His break-down of the solo is slightly disappointing, in that he describes vaguely the techniques he is using: flams, double-strokes of all sorts, palm-tip, independence (especially triplet time over straight time), nail taps, etc. But he gives absolutely nothing on how one builds up to and actually executes these - exactly how he is producing his double, how his hand feels when doing an open slap, and so on. As our man JC says, he is not 'teaching' as such. I was hoping that this time round he would change this. But no messing around - the man is a genius player, el mejor.

Simon B

I now that particular DVD is not about teaching the fundamentals or how to develop your tumbao is about what it can be done with the tumbadoras and drum kit at a very high level. The first Giovanni video "Conga Virtuoso" he tells you about the fundamentals, tumbaos and other things. Giovanni is just a Superior and Once In A Lifetime Talent..........
RitmoBoricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:25 pm

I just saw the DVD the other day. Of course Giovanni is the young Master that he is,and supremely versatile, with an endless rhythmic imagination. El Negro too. For me it's just another "showcase" video of two "titans", "showing" their skills. I am seriously considering doing my own video on Learning to play. My wife keeps telling me, "what are you waiting for"? I am now considering it. I believe I know what is missing in a lot of the videos, we have all seen, and that I could "add" to the ones that are already out there. What do you guys think.? The title to my video is "S.T.O.M.P. your way to playing the Conga". S.T.O.M.P. is my method for teaching along with a lot of other stuff of course. I think a lot of "little things" about playing and approach to playing and performing are never covered in these videos/dvd's. I could do it in DVD too. I have a video camera so that's not a problem. I'll let you guys know if and when it goes down..... :;): JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:24 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:I just saw the DVD the other day. Of course Giovanni is the young Master that he is,and supremely versatile, with an endless rhythmic imagination. El Negro too. For me it's just another "showcase" video of two "titans", "showing" their skills. I am seriously considering doing my own video on Learning to play. My wife keeps telling me, "what are you waiting for"? I am now considering it. I believe I know what is missing in a lot of the videos, we have all seen, and that I could "add" to the ones that are already out there. What do you guys think.? The title to my video is "S.T.O.M.P. your way to playing the Conga". S.T.O.M.P. is my method for teaching along with a lot of other stuff of course. I think a lot of "little things" about playing and approach to playing and performing are never covered in these videos/dvd's. I could do it in DVD too. I have a video camera so that's not a problem. I'll let you guys know if and when it goes down..... :;): JC JOHNNY CONGA....

A comprehensive video on how to develop your drumming from ground zero that anybody can understand. That's the problem most people want to be at the Giovanni level right off the bat, to be a good solid conga drummer you do not have to do half of the stuff Giovanni does.
:)
RitmoBoricua

Postby otto » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:27 pm

Hello JC

You can put me down for your first copy. Its true that there are somethings missing from these instructional videos. I have purchased some of them, though I find them good I am sure they could be better. I think Kalani is on the right track with his approach but I am sure you can add to it. With that said I think your best approach is to setup a schedule for yourself set some dates and go to it. Its all already in you head now put it in ours.
good luck I expect to see your video DVD under my XMAS tree this year. So Palante Mastero
Otto
otto

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:30 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHA....ah Otto you have much confidence in me. Thanks my Drum brother, I will see if I can have it ready by then. My approach is similar to Kalani's but I still have other things to show, that none of the videos have really touched on. Learning to play and knowing how to play are 2 different appraoches, plus all the rhythmic changes that go with it. Plus "styles" nobody touches on "styles" so I think that's where my video will be a bit different. I don't want to give too much away, I've had ideas ripped off of me before. So Otto you will be the "first" to receive my copy of "S.T.O.M.P. your way to Playing the Conga"..Just remind me again when the time comes, please...Gracias....Ps I expect my video to be at least 2 hours long..... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby 82-1089072427 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:42 pm

:cool:

Edited By RumBa808 on 1169009775
82-1089072427

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:03 pm

Thanks guys for the intrest in my future video,long past due. People were asking me to do it back in the 80's. My head wasn't into it, but now it is. So we'll see, I'm still working on contents and what I like to Teach. I expect it to be about 2 hours long...I have a lot to cover....JC JOHNNY CONGA... :;):
JohnnyConga

Postby otto » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:30 pm

Hello JC

I guess i can wait a little after Xmas for the video, but just a little. Keep in mind that the longest journey begins with a single step.
JC I am a Senior Exec VP for a Consulting company here in NYC And I plan and oversee several projects at a time.
All you need to do is start don't wait to have it all. Begin with a outline of the video and put in what you have now begin planning those (lets call them modules) modules you do have, the rest will come to you as you progress, the process will be come eaiser as you go forward. Just say to your self that you will spend lets say 4 hours a week and just stick to it. Its just a matter of organizing your thoughts, you have the knowledge you just need to start. I know it will be great because you have given this years of thought. Now its time to stop thinking and to start doing.
Please excuse that I am trying to tell you what to do. But I feel that a great many will profit from your mastery including myself. From the advise you have given me and others on this forum over the years it is evident that there is doubt nor should there be and that this will be an exceptional product.
You have infused me with a lot of excitement over your ideas.
I know all you need is a little push.
I will appoint myself as the voice of drummers whose voice will echo out of the darkness for the light you will provide.
If I can help in any way with organization or anything else you may need please call on me.

Look for the voice for I will come again and again I will be there to check up on the progress.
I other words I will be come a pain in the butt until I am Learning from JC video.

Plante hermano
Otto

Edited By otto on 1092252741
otto

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:56 pm

####...I guess I opened the flood gates huh? Otto your exactly right. I want to Thank you for your "confident & positive" post in me. I would be more than happy if you were my consultant and maybe even helped me to get this out there and distributed too. I do have my "table of contents" for what I want to teach on the video, and am constructing a "format" of what I want on the video . I will do it in the privacy of my home and it will also include some "play along" sections also. More to come.......JC JOHNNY CONGA.... :;):
JohnnyConga

Postby otto » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:42 pm

JC
All the positive waves are there we need to get you on a schedule email me at otto@ocsny.com I can provide you with some scheduling ideas, planing and implementation. lets talk about progress indicators and projections.
I an sure you could have something for early next year.
Maybe we can get some of the others with other areas of expertise to help.
We can discuss this in gereral terms so you do not have to discuss any actual ideas etc.
This is just setting up a frame work for you to work in.
"Que viva la musica"
Otto
otto

Postby L.Fonseca » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:46 am

Jc maybe you could show in your video how to change a conga head, it would, at least, be original
Just an idea...

Peace and Congas,
Luis
L.Fonseca

Postby RitmoBoricua » Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:13 pm

L.Fonseca wrote:Jc maybe you could show in your video how to change a conga head, it would, at least, be original
Just an idea...

Peace and Congas,
Luis

That's an excellent idea Fonseca. Or how to mount skins onto flesh hoops. :)

Edited By RitmoBoricua on 1092496447
RitmoBoricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:31 pm

Mounting heads is a good idea for a video, I'll keep that in mind....any other ideas u guys want to share with me....?...JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby Simon B » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:32 pm

Just been away for a fortnight - great idea JC. I reccommend tips on skin-care - including just whether it is necessary to de-tune after each practice, and if so how much. Also tuning, and how to construct an effective practice schedule. And of course solo ideas.

N.b. what does STOMP stand for?

Simon
Simon B

Next

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students