TRAVELLING THROUGH TIME - DVD - Giovanni Hidalgo y Horacio Hernandez

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:23 pm

WOW. :D
Got it the other day at a great price, what can I say about this dvd, brilliant!

It had been some time since a percussion video/DVD blew me away with its content.
Giovanni yet again steps up to the plate and has hit another home run in my humble opinion.

DVD goes for approx 2.5 hrs.

DVD features Giovanni Hidalgo on 4 "LP Palldium Giovanni series" congas and Horacio 'El Negro' Hernandez on drumset.

Features many great innovative duets/pieces, with mind blowing improvisations and then educational segments on how the piece was conceived, then its broken down into sections.

In the main section of the DVD, both performers also take individual explosive improvisations.
In this DVD Giovanni yet again shows why he is the most advanced interpreter of Tumbadoras in the world and displays complete humility and even avoids the whole 'pioneer' topic that Horacio brings up regarding what Giovanni does on tumbas.
The DVD is presented in a very firendly, casual way, and is very informative.

Special Features section is great also.
- In depth lesson from Gio - Conga Techniques and Practice Tips
- Gio's philosophies an playing, practicing, his music, and being a musician
- Incredible bonus solo from Gio
- Jam Master Gio and DJ Negro (questionable section for me, I didnt really dig it, and found it kinda silly, both of em in hip hop gear behind a set of turntables, scratching etc)
- A photo gallery
- Horacio's Conversations In Clave DVD preview
- Internet connectivity

Definately not a DVD for begginers! (if you are a begginer, I still encourage you to get it!)

If I had 4 hands, I would give it 4 thumbs up! Seeing I dont, it gets 2 thumbs up from me!

Here's what some others had to say.. :p :D

Even Tiger thinks its awesome!

Yo Celine, what did you think of the new Giovanni DVD?

How about you Bill?

:D

Edited By ABAKUA on 1121952858
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Ivan » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:26 pm

Abakua,

I partially agree with you... True, the DVD was mind blowing as you have to great percussionist showing off their chops. I thought it more of a mini concert on DVD though... Maybe I have to watch again to get refreshed, but that's what I recall.

I do have to say I was laughing my ars off when Gio and El negro were doing the Turntable thing...

Like I said, I will have to revisit the DVD and follow up with an opinion - not my opinion really matters, but hey... :p

Ivan
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:26 pm

True mini concertish with eplanations on what they have put together, I would not classify it as strictly instructional as seen in his past Warner Bros series productions, though it is educational.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:21 pm

Ok guys ..dont get too xcited....with all due respect to my buddy Gio and El Negro it's just 2 guys "jammin"....once again it is not an "instructional" DvD....If they are not showing u how they got there,it's just a jam to me....and a very smokin one at that....."JC" Johnny Conga.....
JohnnyConga

Postby captainquinto » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:38 pm

ABAKUA ...

You crack me up !!

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... -laugh.jpg
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?
captainquinto

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students