Quinto player? - Ve y Dile a tu Mamita!

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby tamboricua » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:08 am

Hi Congaforum,

Hope all is well! I'm trying to indentify who is the quinto player on the yambú, Ve y Dile a tu Mamita, by Clave y Guaguancó as it appears on their Songs & Dances CD. The liner notes indentify percussionists Raúl "Lali" González, José Pilar Suarez, and the late Alejandro Publes. If anyone familiar who is on quinto on this particular rumba, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1128391752
tamboricua

Postby ralph » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:47 pm

thats a good question Jorge, and unfortunately the liner notes do not really go into much detail as far as who is playing what, my guess would be Jose Pilar Suarez, but who know, it might be useful to send John Santos an email since he did the liners on the album...then maybe you could get some sleep...
whoever it is, the quinto sounds very tight, especially the slaps on the cajoncito...

yo by the way the cd's are still not ready, i ran out of blanks so i got to buy some more, hold tight i'll let you know when i got them to send...peace

Edited By ralph on 1128436028
ralph

Postby tamboricua » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:19 pm

ralph wrote:it might be useful to send John Santos an email since he did the liners on the album...then maybe you could get some sleep...
whoever it is, the quinto sounds very tight, especially the slaps on the cajoncito...

yo by the way the cd's are still not ready, i ran out of blanks so i got to buy some more, hold tight i'll let you know when i got them to send...peace

Hi Ralph,

Just heard back from John Santos. He said that it is his buddy the late Alejandro Publes who at the time of this recording served as the percussion director for Conjunto de Clave y Guaguancó.

Don't worry about the CD's, take your time!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby ralph » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:12 pm

ahh, Alejandro Publes, see John Santos is good like that..i knew it wasn't Lali...i love this particular recording by Clave Y Guaguanco because the singing is soooo tight...the coro, especially El Gato on Oquere...the first time i heard it i must have played it back like 5 times...
by the way i keep coming across the new Obini Bata dvd, and wondering if you got it, and what you think, i don't think it would be bad to buy the whole collection by Boogalu.. at least the folkloric stuff...
on a side note to the side note, Jorge besides a video i saw by Banco Popular they haven't really made a bomba y plena dvd that shows the music like Rumbambeo, like would'nt it be nice to have a dvd but like to have los pleneros de la 21 go through the rhythms like in Rumbambeo and Rumbon Tropical...that would be official

Edited By ralph on 1128449560
ralph

Postby tamboricua » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:44 pm

ralph wrote:ahh, Alejandro Publes, see John Santos is good like that..i knew it wasn't Lali...i love this particular recording by Clave Y Guaguanco because the singing is soooo tight...the coro, especially El Gato on Oquere...the first time i heard it i must have played it back like 5 times...
by the way i keep coming across the new Obini Bata dvd, and wondering if you got it, and what you think, i don't think it would be bad to buy the whole collection by Boogalu.. at least the folkloric stuff...
on a side note to the side note, Jorge besides a video i saw by Banco Popular they haven't really made a bomba y plena dvd that shows the music like Rumbambeo, like would'nt it be nice to have a dvd but like to have los pleneros de la 21 go through the rhythms like in Rumbambeo and Rumbon Tropical...that would be official

Hi Ralph,

Yes, John Santos is a walking encyclopedia regarding all this stuff. A very humble cat who pays respect to "Los Mayores" and the tradition. He and his wife just been blessed with a baby girl, Avelina Claridad.

I haven't got the Obini Batá DVD, but you are right based on their Rumbambeo and Rumbón Tropical DVD's, it must be good!

El Instituto de Cultura de Puerto Rico have in their archives a VHS documental about Plena. As a matter of fact, some of the old footage showed on Raíces came from that film. Also I'm aware of another one celebrating Familia Cepeda legacy titled, "Dancing the Drum". Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby franc » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:10 am

friends,
have any of you heard antony carrillo rumba cd ''guaperia'' uaow!! really awsome. a masterpiece i might add!! like music history have taught me '' cuba y puerto rico de un pajaro la dos alas'' my best andáche to all!! franc :0
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby ralph » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:43 pm

franc wrote:friends,
have any of you heard antony carrillo rumba cd ''guaperia'' uaow!! really awsome. a masterpiece i might add!! like music history have taught me '' cuba y puerto rico de un pajaro la dos alas'' my best andáche to all!! franc :0

to tell you the truth Franc, "Guaperia" was in my humble opinion was not what it could have been, to me it was more like a jam session descarga, than the folkloric rumba it seemed to be, now this is not to say that the players sucked, no not at all, i mean you got some of the heaviest rumberos in the WORLD on that album, but it just was not done right in my opinion, now i look at it from the stand point of it being a traditional rumba album, and it falls short in that category, now if you put it in a descarga/jam category, then i would say thats where it fits...i see guaperia as an extension of Batacumbele....and you are %100 correct Cuba y Puerto Rico son de un pajaro las dos alas....that is not in question...peace
ralph

Postby franc » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:46 pm

ralph,
i don't mean the whole album. i know that there is lots of descarga. i felt that there is about five or six song with folkloric feelings. maybe i'm confused about folkloric rumba. i'm just learning about the rich afro cuban culture at this time. believe me i'm learning to love the music and its history with my heart. give me your some of your knowledge on cuban rumba. my best to you, franc :)
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby ralph » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:02 pm

franc wrote:ralph,
i don't mean the whole album. i know that there is lots of descarga. i felt that there is about five or six song with folkloric feelings. maybe i'm confused about folkloric rumba. i'm just learning about the rich afro cuban culture at this time. believe me i'm learning to love the music and its history with my heart. give me your some of your knowledge on cuban rumba. my best to you, franc :)

let me tell you Franc, i am no self proclaimed master of rumba or folklore, the reason i say this about this particular album is because i know that many thought that "Guaperia Rumbera" was going to be what its titled suggested "rumba", ala Los Munequitos, Yoruba Andabo, Totico etc..but with a taste of rumba straight from the island of Puerto Rico....thats what i though when i heard that the album came out, and when i heard cats say that the album was mediocre i could not believe it so i had to hear it for myself, and i must say that the album itslef fell short of my standards...i don't think your confused about rumba, because there is some rumba on this album, and not all of it is bad, but i though it could be better especially with the lineup...believe me Franc if you want to gauge or set a standard of what you want to look forward to in terms of rumba, you have to listen to some Munequitos, Yoruba Andado, Clave Y Guaganco, Eddie Bobe, John Santos, Irosso Obba...etc...hopefully there will be more recordings that will show traditional rumba which does not necesarrily come out of Cuba.
ralph

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:13 pm

Ya know guys "The Bronx" is also home to Rumba and has been as long as I've been playing and before that. Many many "rumberos" came out of the Bronx-the "other" Cuba. We had no one to show us how to play we just "jammed" it out. Mostly we learned from records and from the few like Julito Collazo, Frankie Malabe,Virgilio Marti, Patato(who lived on Fox st) in the South Bronx....so u don't have to go to Cuba to see or hear Rumba..just go to the Bronx or El Barrio or Loiside(lower east side) of manhatten....Bronxite-"JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby ralph » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:45 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:Ya know guys "The Bronx" is also home to Rumba and has been as long as I've been playing and before that. Many many "rumberos" came out of the Bronx-the "other" Cuba. We had no one to show us how to play we just "jammed" it out. Mostly we learned from records and from the few like Julito Collazo, Frankie Malabe,Virgilio Marti, Patato(who lived on Fox st) in the South Bronx....so u don't have to go to Cuba to see or hear Rumba..just go to the Bronx or El Barrio or Loiside(lower east side) of manhatten....Bronxite-"JC" Johnny Conga... :D

this is true, the Bronx has been fertile ground for the rumba scene in NY...Puntilla is there, Totico is based in the Bronx, and countless known rumberos...most of the rumberos that i've known of are either from the Bronx or Uptown...Johnny i don't know if your familiar with Felix Sanabria, but if you are have you ever heard of a group called "Chevere Macum Chevere", they don't exist anymore but NY has boasted a couple of rumba groups and hopefully one day records will be made, and documentation will be done to give NY the props it deserves...hopefully i've be doing some of that work in digging up this info.

Edited By ralph on 1129574835
ralph

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students