Details of Basic Latin Rhythms.

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby Chris D'Sylver » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:27 pm

I am looking for books, CD's, DVD's, that give the basic rhythms of latin dances such as the samba, mambo, bossa nova, rumba ect, but also the more obscure dances like the baon, and the creole waltz.

Any ideas most welcome.

Thanks.

Chris.
Is everybody ready. . .Ok,...3. 4. and 1....
Chris D'Sylver

Postby zaragemca » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:34 pm

Greeting,there are a lot of resources in this webside for Samba,for Mambo,look for CD's from Perez Prado,to Tito Puente,(there was a crazymania about Mambo in the 50's), for Rumba,Los Papines,Los Munequitos,etc., Bossa Nouva is easy on percussion,creole waltz,have to be with the caribbean flavor of playing the waltz,( or what they would mean for that),since sometimes the same music is called differents ways in several countries, but a search would take you there.Dr. Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1122565354
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby ricky linn » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:20 am

Hi
I think the best all round book has to be 'The essence of afro-cuban percussion and drum set' by Ed Uribe. Almost everything in it has been verified by the guys I've studied with in Havana as accurate. It's a great place to start and it's massive, it will take you a long time to work through but it's worth it.

Ricky
ricky linn
ricky linn

Postby trickyricky » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:18 am

ricky linn wrote:Hi
I think the best all round book has to be 'The essence of afro-cuban percussion and drum set' by Ed Uribe. Almost everything in it has been verified by the guys I've studied with in Havana as accurate. It's a great place to start and it's massive, it will take you a long time to work through but it's worth it.

Ricky

Hi Ricky....this is another Ricky!!
Does the book you mention also include a CD? I am looking for something that will tell me that ...the following song is a Samba, the next is a Rumba, the next....etc. Anything like that out there? The reason I ask is I am out in the boonies in Colorado with no teachers anywhere near, at least that I know of.
Thanks my brother.
Lose the ego...Play the music- Luther Allison
trickyricky

Postby percomat » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:39 am

Hi, maybe you should chech out Birger Sulsbrucks (2001, I don't remember the name), make sure you buy the new edition, thats pretty good, lots of information, more than I find in my other books. His old edition (1990 or 1992) isn`t that impressive, as for example his notations of "rumba". But I have to say that you could probably find it all (I mean the rhythms) online aswell. I would say that the congabook here contains a lot.
percomat

Postby Diceman » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:31 pm

Chris,

For Baon, Samba, Bossa Nova and other Brasilian rhythms, get the other book/CD from Ed Uribe-"Essence of Brasilian Rythm and drumset'
If you end up with both you will have a lot of bases covered.

Diceman
Diceman

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students