Orisha Productions - "Clave Y Guaguanco"

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby onile » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:58 pm

Alafia Abures!
¡Espero que todo este bien con to'ito ustedes y que el año nuevo los recibe con muchas bendiciones, cariño y amor!

Okay, I recently ordered and received this DVD, "Clave y Guaguanco" thinking it would be off da' hook, instead it missed the hook entirely. First of all the sound was like listening to a, now work with me here fellas, transistor radio at full volume, the video quality was poor at best, almost like 8mm film. I know that things are rough on the island, I haven't been there but I can imagine, however the company "Orisha Productions" has a responsibility to it's consumers to carry a quality product if it is pushing it's wares on us. There is an incredible list of titles on thier website
orishaproductions.com I've only bought one, but will not take the chance on another.

I share this with you all my brothers in hopes of giving you all a heads up on what to expect from this company if you do. Now, maybe I got a bad one, and the others are better, I won't find out unless someone else orders one and shares the experience here, but be forewarned.

Suave!
Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby captainquinto » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:18 am

...was like listening to a, now work with me here fellas, transistor radio at full volume

Alafia Abure Onile!

You hit it right on the head, brother! Just got done watching that DVD. When it first came on
I thought that my subwoofer had gone berzerk! :p

Curious to know if other forum members have different DVD's from this company.

Peace!

Cap'n Q
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?
captainquinto

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:32 pm

I have one video from Orisha prods....it show the Oru Seco for Obatala, but in pieces not in a group of 3 bataleros , dimly lit, sound sucked...I have never bought anything from them again.....Boogalu Prods. got it goin on!....I also have their dvd's of Cajon Espirituales, Espiritismo in Cuba has been on the rise for some reason, it is not really associated with Santeria/Lucumi....in my experience Espiritismo has been on a "lower" level of spiritual communication, whereas Santeria is much much stronger, and totally established as a "recognized" religion in Cuba.....It was the "Vatican" that allowed the religion to flourish in Cuba, as long as they gave their African Saints(Orishas) ,Catholic names, and it was "recognized' back around 1898 in Cuba....mind u the slaves in Cuba were freed 35 years "after" our slaves in the US, and it was at this time that they started to "organize" the religion......"JC" Johnny Conga....

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... -BATA_Cuba
JohnnyConga

Postby onile » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:19 pm

Espiritismo is associated closer with the Palo Religion which is Congo/Bantu in nature. Espiritismo is mainly used to communicate with 'los muertos', as they are closer to us and repond much quicker in some cases to petitions than Orishas. There are three levels of existance, one-the earthly plane, two- the spirit plan, and three- the Orishas/Mpungo/Nkisi. This is an extremely simplified explanation, there's more to it than this of course.

Paleros deal mainly con los muertos y Nkisi/Mpungo - not to be confused with the Eggun in Santeria
It's any wonder that it (Espiritismo) is being more illuminated, given more publicity in the social circles today, although it has always been, just not on film like it is today.

Somo'no Somo

Onile!
onile

Postby pcastag » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:50 pm

Palo also has its pantheon of deities as well, siete rayos, sarabanda, madre agua etc. it is my understanding that in palo you deal with muertos, as in Santeria, when you have misas espirituales. I've played at misas where both espiritualismo and more traditional palo songs were sung. I think in Yorubaland egun means basically your direct ancestors, whereas in the newworld you can have spirits hanging around you from all over the place. Almost everyone , european, latin, african descent, has a "congo" spirit hanging around somewhere!

PC
PC
pcastag

Postby onile » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:21 pm

Nsala Malecum y Alafia Abure pcastag!
Well said Abure pcastag!

The pantheon of deities you referred to are known as Mpungo/Nkisi in Palo!

Malecum Nsala!
Onile!

Edited By onile on 1136244111
onile

Postby niallgregory » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:18 am

I have an afrocubademantanzas video by orisha productions.Its really poor.Its filmed at a party in mininis living room.There is some amazing playing and dancing ,but its painful to see and hear because of the quality.
niall gregory
niallgregory

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students