New DVD "Obiní Batá Cuba" available! - Has anyone checked this out yet?

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby onile » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:23 pm

I was surfing the web this morining and found this at Descarga, thought I'd pass this on. I hope to be able to order it soon.

Obiní Batá Cuba
Conjunto Feminino De Percusión, Canto Y Danza - DVD
(EarthCDs)

Editor's Pick:
This DVD is a live recording of a performance given by Obiní Batá at the Yoruba Cultural Center in Havana, Cuba in 2003. Obiní Batá was the first group of females in Cuba, and probably the whole world, to play the Batá drums professionally. The group was founded in 1993 by several women who sung and danced in Conjunto Folklórico Nacional de Cuba, and this performance was given in the year of their tenth anniversary. The drums and vocals are properly balanced, recorded with high-fidelity, professional audio equipment. The selection of songs on this DVD demonstrates the richness of Afrocuban musical and dance traditions in contemporary Cuba. The show starts with a riveting Orishas suite and then delves into some innovative rumba interpretations of popular songs. This is Afrocuban music delivered with a feminine charm! Subtitles in English are included for the interview with Eva Trujillo, founding member of the group, and commentary by reknowned Cuban musicologist Enrique Zayas is included on the DVD.
Progressive Scan, NTSC/PAL compatible. In color, 64 minutes.
(from the liners)
Highly Recommended. (BP, 09-Sep-05)
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:10 pm

I know of another all female group out of Matanzas who was taught by an "Uncle"...a friend of mine is married to one of them who now lives in Miami..he showed me the video ..they cannot play for "religous ceremonies"....ever......and they may have been around a lot longer than the one in the video u mention....but I'd like to check them out...Girls on Drums turn me on!!.....Sheila E.....um....."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby onile » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:01 am

You Go Boy!:D
Yeah, I figured as far as a tambor de santo they would not be the ones, but like you, I can dig chics on skins!

Suave!
Onile
onile

Postby onile » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:07 am

Alafia JC!
On a similar subject, I know that there have been several precedences set with chics on drums, mainly the Djembe. Now on congas, I think they add a very collective coolness to any band, providing they can play, but what's your take, or anyone else who cares to respond, on why the djembe is the most popular drum for the female?
At least from my observation! I have had one female student who, on congas could kick ass, great natural slap, she had great technique and form and was a quick learner. Anyway, any insight?

Peace!
Onile
onile

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:27 pm

Well up here in Seattle we have more drums per capita than anywhere in the U.S. But the majority of them are djimbe's. I think it's just a matter of it's a lite drum to carry easy to play, and that at least up here, there are a bunch of drum circles and most people here don't have time to learn to play congas "de verdad"....so that is why I think women are drawn to it...and the "african pulse"....I have never seen but one sister actually play djimbe and with "authority", her name escapes me, but we toured with the show "Drummin"(Tania Leon), back in 97...she kicked butt...now I have taught Jodi Linscott(The Who,Elton John, Eric clapton), Susan Hadjapoulous(Joe Jackson,Saturday Night Live Orch.) Brie Howard, and Maria Medina Serafin(Sin-Egual Orch,Origens) and they have all gone on with musical careers,especially Jodi-she hit it big time....the sister even hand made her own fiberglass congas and they sounded good too...Carolyn Brandy is also a known congera/jimbe player in San Fransisco....Carole Steel(David Sanborn and others in NYC)...there are good players male and female....ya gotta luv it!....."JC" Johnny Conga...PS oh yea the Latin Fire Orch,al girls-circa 1974 produced by Larry Harlow. There is also a buch of all girl bands coming out of Columbia....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:41 pm

Check these out....Here is a photo of Cookie Lopez(Cubana) from the 60's the very first drum sister I ever saw play and she blew my mind. That experience was when i saw her in NYC playing with the Bernard Williams Latin Jazz Octet...I ran into her 25 years later in Miami and we got to jam together and she still plays to this day...."JC" Johnny Conga....

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... _Lopez.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:46 pm

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers Sheila....."JC" Johnny Conga... :D :D :D

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... Congas.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:49 pm

Sorry thought it was a photo of her..those are HER Signature Toca's..."JC" Johnny Conga...

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... E_timbales
JohnnyConga

Postby onile » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:20 pm

Oh Yeah! They are some great players! Oye! There was also another female heavy in the 70's New York Salsa scene, her name escapes me, tu te recuerda de ella? I believe she had her own group, and somehow the incredilbe merenguera "Celines" comes to mind, as being a singer in her group. Hey! Yo ya voy cumplendo 49 anos, ya se me fue la memoria chico!

Suave!

Onile
onile

Postby onile » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:23 pm

Also, a good friend of mine out here in Phoenix, AZ.....Dom Moio, just came back from Alaska a couple of months ago, we did this corporate gig together and he mentioned that, I believe it was Susan Hadjapoulous, and her husband were there co-facilitating drumming workshops. He said she "ripped", that she was incredible on djembe and congas!

It's great to hear that!

Suave!
Onile
onile

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:39 pm

Here is a photo of Susan recently on a gig..."JC" Johnny Conga...u can also Google anybodys name to find them...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... oulos.jpeg
JohnnyConga

Postby CIMARRON » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:39 am

GIRLS DONT play percussion special BATA!!! SIACARA!!!
Fidel castro
CIMARRON

Postby CIMARRON » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:40 am

PROFANADORAS!!! SIACARA OGUN!!
Fidel castro
CIMARRON

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:50 pm

Oye Cimarron ...first Bienvenido a este forum...and there are at least 2 groups in Cuba where there are ALL GIRL rumba/bata groups.....and Machismo here doesn't work bro.....sorry ...we know WHY women CAN'T play for the Igbodu/Ceremonies...but it doesn't mean they can't play, at all....paz...."JC" Johnny Conga...ps tell us a bit about you.. Where are u from and how long have u been playing?.... :D
JohnnyConga

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students