Best INSTRUCTIONAL DVD

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby onile » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:15 pm

Alafia Abures!
I hope that you are all swimming in an ocean of blessings my friends!

I'm afraid I may have lived my life up to now in a perpetual vacum! I haven't had the pleasure of seeing any of Kalani's instructional videos, I have heard of Bobby Sanabria's however, and also good reviews on it!

I haven't heard anyone mention, for a beginners pace, Richie Gajates video. Don't want to ruffle any feathers here, but I was given a copy of both his 1st and 2nd videos, and the conga techniques he covers in one of them is quite explicit. He does a great job, in my humble opinion, of explaining in laymans terms (heel-toe-slap-toe-heel-toe-open-open) el basico, which may have helped a broad base of beginners with their comprehension of the rythm itself. Have I mentioned to you all that I was born illiterate? :laugh:

I am trying, as an old dog can, to learn reading music, but patience is a commodity which I haven't much left of! :;):

Adelante Mis Hermanos!
Onile!

Edited By onile on 1128017797
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby congamyk » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:44 pm

Kalani's video is great for someone who just purchased congas for the first time. It's very basic but teaches about 10 simple, different rhythms. It is not very in depth but for the price ($20) it's a good investment for someone new to congas. Also, he uses an over the back shoulder viewpoint which comes in handy.

I will welcome a new conga video, especially one with new material and a fresh style.

Edited By congamyk on 1128192605
congamyk

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:10 pm

Well I can't really say what I'm teaching is anything really new, but it will be for along time to come for those that are just starting out....We already have Gio videos' for the more advanced players and others, I went back to the "roots" of playing with my "method" of approach,understanding and musicality. so far it is going to be a 3 DVD set inlcluded with "performance clips" of me on a variety of instruments,"bloopers" and who knows what else I may throw in there..."fresh style"?..you can be the judge of that....peace..."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:15 am

UPDATE:...I was informed today that my videographer is out of town for a month, so the last half of my Learning DVD will be done sometime in December with a New Year release 2006. I will also have my New "ol skool-street jammin" CD "Rompe La Parche!" loosely translated (Breakin Skin) featuring my perc. ensamble "Origins". There will be original arrangements with just myself playing all the parts,solo drum sections,and a duet with my drummer Buddy Sammy Alamillo,on drumset. I hope to have this done soon.... :D :D :D ...."JC" Johnny Conga....

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... a_at_night
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:16 am

Central Park Rumba at Night in NYCity...."JC" Johnny Conga :D
JohnnyConga

Postby ralph » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:09 pm

Yo, Johnny do you have more pictures of you and Willie playing, or rumba in the city that you can post up?...nice pic bro...

Ralph

Edited By ralph on 1130418844
ralph

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:46 pm

Yo Ralph...actually I don't have any fliks with Me and Willie...we haven't jammed in over 25 years together. Actually we met for an afternoon around 1997, at our Bro's house in the Bronx, while I was touring with the Miami City Ballet as "dance musician".I left NYC in 1976 and went west to join Sergio Mendes and Brasil 77...I haven't lived in the city since...I do miss the "energy"...and the competition amongst musicians...here is a rumba in Miami, with El Sacerdote and Lazaro on quinto..the brother of "El Nino" the first to play 5 congas with Irakere...."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... bfe11.jpeg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:52 pm

Here is another photo of "Marty" El Mayor" de Central Park. We jammed with him every sunday in front of the lake off 59th st. He made his own congas, bata and chekeres,as he was an Architect by trade but was also cool to hang with. This was from 1972 to around 75 for me, before my life on the road..."JC" Johnny Conga...

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... Chekere_CP
JohnnyConga

Postby ralph » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:07 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:Here is another photo of "Marty" El Mayor" de Central Park. We jammed with him every sunday in front of the lake off 59th st. He made his own congas, bata and chekeres,as he was an Architect by trade but was also cool to hang with. This was from 1972 to around 75 for me, before my life on the road..."JC" Johnny Conga...

that pic of Marty is a very good pic, whatever happened to him, and his instruments?

Ralph
ralph

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:48 pm

I think he would be in his 100's by now...As u can see he was elderly at the time of this photo taken around 1972.. His sons inherited his things and continue to hang in the same spot and jam as their father did come summer sundays in Central Park... :D ..."JC" Johnny Conga.....ps we actually would jam for about 10 to 12 hours at this spot on sundays....it's where i honed my quinto skills.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:53 pm

Here is another "jam" in the Bronx, from the 80's with Willie and my Bro Larry(with the glasses),jammin out!....I miss those times...."JC" Johnny Conga...

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... an0003.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby ralph » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:59 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:Here is another "jam" in the Bronx, from the 80's with Willie and my Bro Larry(with the glasses),jammin out!....I miss those times...."JC" Johnny Conga...

how can you NOT miss those times, i only wish i was around back then...i am actually printing these pictures you are posting as part of my research into the rumba scene in NYC...

Ralph
ralph

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:14 am

Well I hope you give me a little credit for supplying the fliks... :D Those "city rumbas" are still going on, with new groups of "street and professional" players....and I have seen some street players that kick some of the Pros in there ASS!....and they would never even think about making a career out of playing...just like to jam and party with the crew...like I used to do with Willie -and that's ALL YEAR ROUND we did it.....almost EVERYDAY too!....Congaslingers......hunting for the rumba.....oh man....I'm so passed due on New York it ain't funny...but when I do Willie will be sure to take me to some place unknown for the jam of a lifetime.....HAIL TO THE BRONX!..."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... mberos.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby ralph » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:53 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:Well I hope you give me a little credit for supplying the fliks... :D Those "city rumbas" are still going on, with new groups of "street and professional" players....and I have seen some street players that kick some of the Pros in there ASS!....and they would never even think about making a career out of playing...just like to jam and party with the crew...like I used to do with Willie -and that's ALL YEAR ROUND we did it.....almost EVERYDAY too!....Congaslingers......hunting for the rumba.....oh man....I'm so passed due on New York it ain't funny...but when I do Willie will be sure to take me to some place unknown for the jam of a lifetime.....HAIL TO THE BRONX!..."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D

believe me Johnny if i do use your great pics sometime in the future you will be getting the credit you rightfully deserve...
Hope you get to NY soon...and i'm sure they'll be a guiro, tambor, or rumba, that your boy Willie will be part of...

Ralph
ralph

Postby 122-1131910480 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:49 pm

:)
122-1131910480

PreviousNext

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students