Best INSTRUCTIONAL DVD

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby CongaTick » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:20 pm

Looking for forum pro (and student newbie) recommendations for the best/simplest/clearest instructional DVD(s) for conga basics (to include 3 drums) and coverage of wide range of afro-cuban rhythms. I've been playing a 3 drum setup (left- handed) for years, mostly rock and pop with a good handle on some basic tumbao's, but would like to get a solid grip on a wide variety of latin/afro/world perc patterns. I recognize this may very well be one of those unlearning-bad-habits situations, and therefore, possibly an insurmountable learning challenge, but would like to give it a try, before throwing in the towel.
CongaTick

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:53 pm

Hello Everyone...I am finally going to start to shoot my Learning DVD-"Conga-Robics with "JC" Johnny Conga...I know I 've been talking about it for months, but it was a matter of finding a videographer to work with me on this for a reasonable sum. I found one and tomorrow he is coming to my house to start to shoot it..It will be a very comprehensive "learning" DVD, I stress the word "learning" cause most videos just "show" you the capabilities of the perfomer, NOT HOW HE GOT THERE!!....which has been left out of almost every learning DVD/Video I Have seen....this will be a 2 hour minimum DVD, and will cover everything from counting-rhythms-styles-clave consciousness- and a whole lot more....I hope to have it available as soon as it's done....Thank you for your patience..it's almost there!....peace..."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:00 pm

Here is a small listing of what I will be showing on my Learning DVD..."JC" Johnny Conga....I am also open for any suggestions u may have for my DVD...Mil Gracias..."JC" Johnny Conga....

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... ntents.doc
JohnnyConga

Postby onile » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:27 pm

Por los Santos brothel esto es loque estoy buscando!
Keep me in mind when you get it done for sure! Te mando la plata pa' seguida!

Suerte Mi Hermano!

Tony:laugh: :laugh:
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby TampabayRey » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:19 am

Jc, Let me know as soon as it comes out. I would like one signed by you. Best wishes to you, Rey
Rey
TampabayRey

Postby otto » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:51 pm

Hello JC
I am Happy to see that this project is moving forward for. I have been waiting for some time. It comes at a great time I had sustained an injury to my left shoulder and have only been playing once in a while with just the right hand for the last 8 months. My shoulder is better now and I am ready to start again.

I do have one suggestion if I may, You could mention the names of some songs that would be great to practice the rhythms you are going over. Giving the student actual music to practice the rhythms with would be a great help. Hopefully some of the older music 1960s to 1990,s

There will be no legal problems with this as you will just be naming songs and not actually using the music without permission. I checked with our corporate lawyer its all good.

I am really looking forward to the release of the DVD and I to would request a autograph if possible.

As always with respect and thanks for your caring.
Otto
otto

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:53 pm

THANK YOU my brothers for being patient...my videographer is coming over today and hopefully I can get this started...I will be "playing along" with music ,cause it's being shot in my "attic studio" where all my music and turntable is, so I can put different music on and play along with it for examples..it will be hopefully the most comprehensive learning dvd out there today....."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby onile » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:57 pm

Alafia Abure JohnnyConga!
Once you get a product together for the masses, will you post it here? or can you create an interest list of drummers who want to order a copy?

You are absolutely correct brothelee, most of the videos that have been produced, probably with an exception or two (Richie Gajate to name one), really just show "their abilities", and not very much on, as you put it....."how to get there!" That in itself is what sold it for me! I've played for quite a few years now, but I would love to learn the counting-rhythms-styles-clave consciousness-, both to learn and to validate whatever it is that I am doing presently!

Thanks for your hard work JC!
It is very much appreciated, by me, but more so by the massses!

Suave mi hermano!

Onile
onile

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:40 pm

Alafia Ni Onile...Mil gracias....My videographer came over on friday and we spent 3 hours going over what we were going to do and how we were going to do it. I am very excited about this project, I just hope it lives up to everyones expectations. We will start this coming tuesday.....I will also be including an "addition" of some clips of me performing on congas/timbales and vibes. paz..."JC" Johnny Conga :D
JohnnyConga

Postby onile » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:24 pm

Ache Mi Hermano! Ache!
onile

Postby rumbaman » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:13 pm

Hey guy whats up . I like what you have there JC my blessings my friend ,hope you are doing good . I would be intrested in it . Let me know how to get it please , I would like to have one of your videos ...... Congratulations .... my rumba brother . Hey man do not let yourself stray from that energy you feel . I tell you man it is vibrant and i always ride its wake .
rumbaman :D
rumbaman

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:34 pm

GRACIAS Rumbaman...for your support, I appreciate that...Well today I start shooting my first Learning DVD."Conga-Robics" otherwise known as "How'd he get there"?....hahahaha....hang tight it's coming soon to a neigborhood near you!.....TKS....paz..."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby congamyk » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:24 am

Back to the original thread before it got hijacked.

The best teaching video I've seen is Bobby Sanabria's "Fundamental Technique for 2 & 3 Drums". Another good video for just 2 drums I recommend for newbies is "Show Me The Ryhthms For Congas" by Kalani.

Edited By congamyk on 1127964315
congamyk

Postby CongaTick » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:21 pm

Thanks Congamyk.
CongaTick

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:42 pm

I have also recommended kalani in past posts, very thorough video's and yes Bobby Sanabrias is in depth also.....mine well ,let's just say it will be a bit different from all the rest.... :D "JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Next

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students