Joe Santiago, Giovanni Hidalgo, Pablo Rosario.... - On line video...

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby Ivan » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:49 pm

Hola Todos!

Here is a workshop I attended back in February here in Seattle at the University of Washington. They called it the "Salsa Workshop". Artists were: Joe Santiago, Pablo Rosario El Indio, Giovanni Hidalgo, Giovanni Lugo and more...

The sound guys were pretty bad, but this was still fun to watch. I hope you enjoy it, here is the URL link:

Don't forget to tell me your thoughts of the video....

UWTV[/URL]

Enjoy,
Ivan

Edited By Ivan on 1088714021
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby SkinDeep » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:53 pm

thks for the link, it's hot
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:05 pm

I was there for the open jam with Gio...but before that he took a 50 minute conga solo...that's right 50 minute conga solo, I timed it and couldnt believe it myself...then Gio called some of us, myself included, for an open jam, but that's not on the video....unless Ivan has that too... Ivan I hope ur ready for the "rumbas".....have u been practicing your parts??...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D its getting warmer out and we'll be in the park real soon....and are u gonna be surprised with everyones playing, from last year to this year....
paz...."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby franc » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:04 pm

woaw!!! great salsa presentation. enjoy it all. J.C I missed you in the video. hope there is more!!! franc :D
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:39 am

Thanks for the link Ivan, wouldve been great to be there I imagine. I hope you guys dont take for granted the opportunity to observe and share access to such musicans as Gio.
Here, we rarely get to see the big names live.

Now....

Thats got to be some of the worst sound engineering/mixing Ive heard!!

Respect to the musicians for their talent and experience.

Now I can only comment from what I saw on the link, seems like some poorly presented, and unrehearsed workshop. More like a "hey lets go jam then talk about your instrument a bit".
I feel that given the calibre of those musicians, a bit more thought/rehearsal or structure couldve gone into workshop.
Also, the music they chose to play was a bit way to tame/chilled/straight for my liking.

I no way am I comparing myself or the musicians I work with to these guys you see in the vid, but when we have to present a workshop, rehearsal and organisation are a big part of the preperation to the project.

Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed the presentation and would even have cancelled a gig to have been there.
I just gave my honest critisims/feedback of what I saw.

Giovanni as always continues to raise the bar and is a genius. Such virtuosity and humility, a rare and wonderful combo.
A true master.

Thanks again Ivan for the linkage.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:09 pm

Basically it was an "imprompto" jam....they didnt have anything really prepared and they just jammed it out, and basically it was a way for Joe Santiago to get a gig at the University of Washington, where he is now in residence as a Bass teacher....the "all out" jam I participated in happened at the end of everything they did, including Gio's 50 minute conga solo.....it left us exhausted just to watch him solo like that, and he hardly played anything twice.....just freakin amazing, and yes one of the humblest cats I know, and a true sweetheart..."JC" Johnny Conga...

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... ts_lp.jpeg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:12 pm

If you look real close at Gio's hands , they are not normal, they are more like a bears paw, his knuckles are actually "indented" in the middle of his fingers, I've never seen hands like them in my life, and I have seen a ton of hands in my lifetime..."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby OLSONGO » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:33 pm

Yes, Gio is a super person. I have been to some of his workshops.
One was with Tito Puente, Luis Conte ( don't know what he was doing there) and Gio, man always friendly and full of info. His hands are quite small they are more like sticks, that may attribute the speed in which he at times plays. One of my maetros Agustin Romero a Tata guinito ( a Tata guinito is one of the 4 or 6 congueros that play alongside of Tata ) anyways this brother also
has some small hands and interestingly so, the fingers look like little sticks or di--s, and can he play.
OLSONGO

Postby SkinDeep » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:51 pm

OSKAR CARTAYA'S ALBUM MY MUSIC, MY FRIENDS, MY TIME HAS A BONUS TRACK AT THE END CALLED GIOVA TALKS WHERE HE'S EXPLAINING SOMETHING WITH A BATA DRUM AND JUST FROM THAT YOU COULD SENSE ALL HIS WARM HUMBLENESS.
AS FAR AS LUIS CONTE GOES, I AGREE HE DOESN'T CONVINCE ME NEITHER.
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby OLSONGO » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:43 am

There is only one thing, those fiberskins on snare stands, how can someone like Gio approve those things, I tried them and like congas on Lp stands they go all over the place.
OLSONGO

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:35 pm

Cause Giovanni gets PAID for putting his name on these items from LP.....wouldnt you?....But then again I had the misfortune of playing on those Bobby Allende "cafe" congas, by Pearl and asked the same question....I would have never okayed those drums in my name...."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby OLSONGO » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 am

JC , no I would't. Like you said those " cafe pearl congas " or those Remos of you know who, but I am not going to get you started.Anyways, Gio has money comming from all directions.
I don't know... guess I am ol'skool but the conga sound is wood and raw hide, and that's what I like to feel.

Amor, Paz y Rumba

OLSONGO
OLSONGO

Postby Facundo » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:01 pm

Hey Iva,

Thanks a lot for the link. It was a real treat! While there may have been some issues with the sound quality, I have real issues with the camera folk and whoever did the video direction. You know we drummers, more than any other musicians, what to see the actual execution of the licks being played. The cameras were consistantly in the wrong place! They are not alone, it seems to happen all the time! Yet and still it was a real good session. I would love to see the 50 minute Giovani solo.

Good lookin out,
Facundo
Facundo
Facundo

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students