Candido Manos de Fuego - New DVD

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby Berimbau » Mon May 01, 2006 9:26 pm

I just got the new Candido DVD last week and it is a gem!! Check out the following "thick description" courtesy of Descarga's Bruce Pollin:
CANDIDO CAMERO Hands Of Fire - A DVD Documentary By Ivan Acosta (DVD MVD)
Category: DVD; LATIN JAZZ
***EditorsPick: Ivan Acosta's documentary focuses on Candido's contribution to the world of Cuban music, American Jazz and Latin Jazz. Through conversations, performances and testimonies, "Candido: Hands of Fire", grabs the audiences' attention all the way till the end. Candido Camero is a musical giant hailed as one of the greatest Cuban percussionists to come to the United States. He has played with more than two hundred great musicians, including: Tony Bennett, Dizzy Gillespie, Tito Puente, Tito Rodriguez, Bobby Capó, Charlie Parker, Duke Ellington, Stan Kenton, Chico O'Farrill, Ray Charles, Mongo Santamaria, John Coltrane, Randy Weston, Billy Taylor, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Frank Sinatra, Graciela, Celia Cruz, La Lupe, Bobby Sanabria, Machito and Lecuona, amongst the world's most popular musicians.
[from the liners]
Featuring: Chico Alvarez/Tony Bennett/Federico Brito Ruiz/Dave
Chesky/Luc Delannoy/Andy Gonzalez/Graciela/Juanito Marquez/Nelson "El Flaco" Padrón/Jorge Fernandeo Rodriguez/Bobby Sanabria/Ray Santos/Dr. Billy Taylor/Randy Weston
English and Spanish Subtitles: Approx 68 Minutes.

What a giant!! Check out Candy's duet with Andy Gonzalez, fine melodic playing!

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue May 02, 2006 4:16 am

Yea Candido , the man with a "thousand" fingers,and the first to use 3 drums and independance in playing on congas......Well this thursday my videographer is coming and iwill try and finish my Learning DVD....I hope I hope...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... e_Volcanic
JohnnyConga

Postby zaragemca » Tue May 02, 2006 4:04 pm

Ok JC, you are my brother and Candido is a great percussionist and my countryman,but he wasn't the first using three Congas,just for the records.Dr Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1146704304
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed May 03, 2006 8:41 pm

He was the FIRST who was "recognized" on 3 congas here in America......"JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby zaragemca » Thu May 04, 2006 1:01 am

Saludos I wish you the best in this project,'con sabor,y fuego sigue adelante'.Dr. Zaragemca
zaragemca

Postby otto » Thu May 04, 2006 1:35 pm

JC
That is great news, I have been looking forward to it for a long time.
Who will be the distributor of the DVD.
This will be a benefit to all drummers everywhere, and that is what the spirit of drumming is about, not keeping your knowledge like it was some kind of secret. There are many ways to bring humanity together in understanding and peace, and music has always been one of those ways as is evident on this site, we have drummers from all over coming together.
We need to spread our brotherhood by the sharing of our knowledge so there can be more understanding to make our world a better place.

with love for all
Otto
otto

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu May 04, 2006 4:03 pm

Hi Otto..I've been waiting a long time too to get this done...so hopefully today it will get finished....I don't have a Distributor as of yet ....any suggestions?...."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby OLSONGO » Thu May 04, 2006 4:20 pm

Muy bien mi hermano JC!! On distribution, set up a web page and do it yourself. And on the cover.... le pones una jefa con un trasero caribeno bien bueno 'chacho.

Paz, Amor y rumbarobics
OLSONGO
OLSONGO

Postby Master2987 » Thu May 18, 2006 9:04 pm

Berimbau,

I also purchased a copy of Candido Hands of Fire. It is very good in general. I wish they would have shown more of the historical footage/audio.

I had never seen Candido play up-close like that. His playing is definitely very subtle…kind of plays with his fingers like a bongocero.

One question though. Candido plays a pattern many times throughout the film, including the duet with A. Gonzalez. I have heard that pattern many times before. Does go something like this? I am a novice, so it is probably wrong. Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks.

hand l r r r l l r l r r
Quinto o o h t s t o o
Conga o
Tumba o
Master2987

Postby niallgregory » Fri May 19, 2006 12:01 pm

this is a valid point.Seen as this is a worldwide forum and not a cuban or american forum can we clarify the points we make.If candido wasnt the first person to use 3 congas please say who was ?
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun May 21, 2006 8:12 pm

Hello Niall ..YES I would also like to know(Zaragemca) Who was the first to play 3 congas before 86 year old Candido????...."JC" Johnny Conga....Zara you must be at least 88 years old to know that answer, huh?... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby zaragemca » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:08 pm

Saludos to all,(missed this post for sometime). Chano Pozo,(in Radio Cadena Azul),of Amado Trinidad,Silvestre Mendez,(a born Rumbero which made his musical live in Mexico), Santos Ramires,(a Comparsa director since 1930's,and Rumbero),all of them used tree congas before anybody else... Oscar Valdes Sr.,(the Father of Oscar Valdes Jr.,of Irakere Band), Miguelito Valdez,both used two Congas before my dear man Candido even switched to Congas from the Tres/Guitar..(in the early 1940's Candido was the Tres player in Chano Pozo Conjunto Azul),at that time Miguelito Valdez and Oscar Valdez Sr., were already using two Congas for their shows.Dr. Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1149873577
zaragemca

Postby SkinDeep » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:00 am

I DON'T KNOW HOW FAR BACK HE STARTED BUT PAPO PEPIN MENTIONS SABU MARTINEZ PLAYING THREE CONGAS ALSO. SABU WAS CHANO POZO'S COMPETITION BACK THEN, CHANO FOCUSED MORE ON SINGING AND PLAYING AND SABU FOCUSED MORE ON PLAYING AND DANCING WITH HIS TUMBADORA. THIS IS ALL IN AN INTERVIEW WITH PAPO PEPIN THAT'S IN A BOOK CALLED SALSIOLOGY.
SILVESTRE MENDEZ, WOW!!! NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL A TRUE ÑAÑIGO, LOTS OF FIRE THERE BROTHER!!!
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby zaragemca » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:57 pm

Saludos,It would be a misconception to think that Sabu could be a competition for Chano Pozo,(there was not competition for Chano Pozo in the U.S.,at that time),Sabu replace him in the area after Chano Pozo death,but also his cousin Chino Pozo was around,(Chino Pozo came before Chano Pozo to the U. S.)...by the time that Sabu was in the hit parate in N.Y., there were several others respectful percussionist around already,Mongo Santamaria,Armando Peraza,(West Coast),Luis Miranda,Frank Colon,etc.Dr. Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1150128311
zaragemca

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students