Rumba Video Clip - Chinitos on Youtube

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby guarachon63 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:29 pm

Video: Chinitos on Youtube

Anybody know any of these guys? I like relaxed rumba like this. Nice harmonies, nice quinto, I like how the other guy is just marcando. I also like how there is a cajon (with legs!) and at least one other tumbadora going unused. Around here it seems everybody has to grab everything and play as loud as possible right from the start. It's much better laid-back like this.

Would be nice if they had gotten at least a shot of the singers, though.
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby congamyk » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:38 am

wow thanks man, nice find!

yes I like this too, very laid back.
i checked out his website link - good stuff.
congamyk

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:53 am

i dont know, but Im from a different line of schooling, to me thats not rumba guaguanco.

Laid back is one thing but in my opinion, the drummers (with some exception to quintero) are being lazy and either dont know the parts or are not playing the parts correctly.
I dig the singers, but I dare say the rumba just aint happening.
Again, simply my opinion, we all have different tastes and schooling.

Edited By ABAKUA on 1154108790
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:43 pm

I stand with Abakua ..the only cat doing anything is the brother on the quinto(who seems to be playing by himself, while the others TRY to do something)..the rest of the cats are just fooling around or just dont know how to play....Hey guys just cause they are Cuban DOES NOT MEAN THEY CAN PLAY!.....I know some Cubans who can't play clave or even dance for that matter. So dont be fooled when u see a couple of dudes with drums between their legs...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby windhorse » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:01 pm

I kept thinking,,, maybe it's a song build-up and they'd break into Guaguanco,,, but nope,, never happened.. I couldn't figure out what the guy was doing or trying to do on the Tumba,, then it dawned on me he's hitting a bass on the ponche.. So, he's not even thinking bombo note,, just the ponche, which would be where your Tumba tones are hit. We do a box one where basses are hit in that spot, but it seems wierd to that on the conga. At least it seemed that way.. I think maybe he was off a bunch of the time because it just didn't groove right. And without Segundo... What the heck is everyone sitting around for if there are parts left to do?

OK, on that same page, if you look on the right, inside the box that says [Explore more Videos] and scroll down to Dilo Como Yo... Now we're talking! That's a nice song..

OK, then if you go almost all the way down,, chose Rumba on 3 Congas.. Anybody know this guy?? Really nice chops! Now he can play a quinto!

Dave
windhorse

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:59 pm

Dayem.... No image, but the audio is there...

Check this out: CONGO YAMBUMBA - Los Muñequitos De Matanzas (CLICK HERE) One of my all time favourite old school rumbas.

Didnt Eddie Palmieri also do a salsa version of this rumba many years ago, also had a conga solo by I believe a then young Giovanni?
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:19 pm

Anyone know more on these cats? RAICES HABANERAS (CLICK HERE) Based in NY I believe...

Pretty cool. :cool:

Edited By ABAKUA on 1154110980
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby tamboricua » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:38 pm

ABAKUA wrote:Anyone know more on these cats? RAICES HABANERAS (CLICK HERE) Based in NY I believe...

Pretty cool. :cool:

Hola Abakua,

Raices Habaneras is based in the NY/NJ area. Among some of the members are Pedro "Pedrito" Martinez, the legendary Gene Golden, and Roman Diaz formerly of Clave y Guaguanco. They were the house band @ La Esquina Habanera in New Jersey for a while.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:44 pm

Eddie Palmieri's Macumba, Lukumi y Voodoo..."JC" Johnny Conga.. :D
JohnnyConga

Postby guarachon63 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:59 pm

...to me thats not rumba guaguanco....the rumba just aint happening.

...maybe it's a song build-up and they'd break into Guaguanco

...the rest of the cats are just fooling around or just dont know how to play

Looking around on the web a bit I've found that these guys Los Chinitos are part of a family of bataleros and rumberos whose credits include performing on the Abbilona Tambor Yoruba discs and are generally credited as co-inventors of the guarapachangueo style of rumba. So while it may not be to everyone's taste, but I'd say they know exactly what they are doing.

As far as "nothing happening" or "breaking into a guaguancó," one thing about rumba I would suggest is important to keep in mind is that guaguancó is not merely a drum rhythm or "una descarga de tambores."

Most people tend to think of the singers as superfluous to a rumba, singing along with the drums. But in fact just the opposite is the case: A guaguancó (or a yambú, or a columbia for that matter), is, at its essence, the performance of a song.

To me there is alot happening in that video - two guys are singing a really nice guaguancó with in-tune harmonies, and the drummers are listening to the singers. The video runs out but probably what happens pretty soon is somebody calls a coro, the dancers come in, and then the thing really takes off.

respectfully,

guarachon63
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:32 pm

Like I've always said "CUBA IS IN NEW YORK!, you don't have to go to the Island cause that Cuban Rumba is alive and well on the streets of the City....and Raices Habaneras is one such group..."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby SkinDeep » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:47 am

ABAKUA wrote:Dayem.... No image, but the audio is there...

Check this out: CONGO YAMBUMBA - Los Muñequitos De Matanzas (CLICK HERE) One of my all time favourite old school rumbas.

Didnt Eddie Palmieri also do a salsa version of this rumba many years ago, also had a conga solo by I believe a then young Giovanni?

YEAH THAT WAS THE TRUTH ALBUM ALSO HAD ANTHONY CARRILLO ON BONGO. HOT SHIT BRO!!!
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students