Jerry gonzales videos

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby gilbert » Sat May 06, 2006 9:35 am

hey guys i was searching the net and i came across these 2 videos for jerry gonzales:

1-Jerry González, "Conga Drumming & Afro-Caribbean Rhythms," Alchemy Pictures (1992).
The production of this video is pretty rough and González's presentation appears to be pretty much unscripted. Having said that, I have definitely learned more from this video than any of the others I have. I have rewound and replayed some sections so much that I had to make a working copy so that I wouldn't wear out the original. González teaches by example rather than through words. The video and audio quality are adequate.

2-Jerry González, "Conga Mania-In the Tradition," Alchemy Pictures (1994).
I like this video almost as much as González's first video. This one is more oriented towards ensemble performances than basic instruction. The performance of Puerto Rican rhythms bomba, plena and oriza are unusual. The three congueros are González, Milton Cardona, and Richie Flores. The performance sections are broken up by González's presentations of the oral history of drumming. At first I didn't like these interludes, but I have come to see them as an integral part of the lesson. There is a brief but useful discussion of hand exercises. The production is a little better than the first video.

anyone got these videos or knows how to get them?
gilbert

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat May 06, 2006 4:18 pm

Yes MIke Gallichio at CongaClub.com is selling both for $50.oo each...."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby gilbert » Mon May 08, 2006 10:13 am

JohnnyConga wrote:Yes MIke Gallichio at CongaClub.com is selling both for $50.oo each...."JC" Johnny Conga...

did you watch them ?
are they worth paying 100$ for both?
gilbert

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon May 08, 2006 3:32 pm

I saw CongaMania I was not impressed. I am a personal friend of Jerry's going back to the 60's....He IS NOT what I would call a "teacher" on this video ..though he shows some ensamble rhythms with my other drum buddy Milton Cardona...and I also believe Jerry wasn't in good shape at the time of the shooting, if u know what I mean.....now the other one I can't speak on ..never saw it....."JC" Johnny Conga.....
JohnnyConga

Postby onile » Mon May 08, 2006 3:56 pm

I know what you mean my brother, I kept laughing when the camera was on him during his comments!
All due respect to him! Se veía que estaba arrebatao'

None the less however, Milton estaba carbón mi pana!
Richie, well he should have gotten a ticket for speeding! Da' boy is fast!

Onile!

Edited By onile on 1147103853
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon May 08, 2006 8:08 pm

Well the good news I got today about Jerry from one of HB's in NY was that he's cleaned up his act , put on weight and has found Love in Spain....."JC" Johnny Conga...I am glad to hear that.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby onile » Mon May 08, 2006 11:07 pm

Dang! so he had to go to Spain to find it? Last I had heard, he was on our Isla del Encanto, Borinquen querida!

Oh well, glad to hear that he's doing well!

Suave!
Onile!

Edited By onile on 1147129674
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby SkinDeep » Thu May 11, 2006 2:50 am

I AGREE JERRY WAS ON THE ROUGH SIDE!!!
BIEN TUMBAO :D

Edited By SkinDeep on 1147315822
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby ralph » Mon May 15, 2006 7:36 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:Well the good news I got today about Jerry from one of HB's in NY was that he's cleaned up his act , put on weight and has found Love in Spain....."JC" Johnny Conga...I am glad to hear that.... :D

I am very glad to hear this...i have always wondered what he's been up to on the private side of things...I got a chance to see Fort Apache live a while back and it was great...even said whats up to Jerry, abrasive but nice, just the way i thought he would be...I'm glad he's doing good, and hopefully this newfound love will only bring his music to a new level...if not hope he's happy just as well....by the way i have Congamania, and its okay, what you gotta understand about Jerry is that his style of playing is all his own...i wouldn't pay $50 bucks for the tape, but that doesn't mean its not good, its just that thats too much money, i'd rather buy Rumbambeo or Rumberos de Cuba DVD's....

ralph

Postby gilbert » Tue May 16, 2006 12:16 pm

thanks for the Help

where can i buy them or at least congamania?
gilbert

Postby afrocubarico » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:45 pm

I just read this thread about Jerry. I became a fan of Jerry's music after seeing him on Calle 54. I have and enjoy his earlier recordings.

I recently saw Jerry & Forte Apache perform live at the Town Hall theatre here in NYC a few months ago. The cat was pretty smooth on his horns and performed equally well on congas. There was a pretty big turn out of people, mostly old school Fort Apache fans. After the show, mobs of people walked up to the stage and asked for autographs and or just to shake his hand, I was one of them. It was a great show and Jerry looked good.

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby congamyk » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:56 am

A friend recently loaned me this video. This thing is UNDERGROUND! It's totally retro cool. Jerry is all strung out and Steve Berrios looks like a deer caught in the headlights. Andy is probably laughing his butt off throughout the video, I love it.

Edited By congamyk on 1158202972
congamyk

Postby gilbert » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:19 am

any idea on how to get any of these videos ?
gilbert

Postby congamyk » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:43 pm

After finishing this video I think it is excellent. Any conguero will love it. It is definitely for the advanced player and is more entertaining than instructional. Jerry is a great player and his approach is very improvisational, just like his bebop trumpet playing.

It looks like the video is from 1992 and is available online.
congamyk

Postby OLSONGO » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:35 pm

I had the opportunity to hang with Jerry, at the Clearwater Jazz Holiday this was around when calle 54 was comming out, great guy; plenty of NY stories. He is an avid listener of the old school stuff, and can't really say much about the speed bolts of the new generation, he feels that ...that is not what the music is about.
Anyways invited me down to the mountains in PR to hang out , but as of late I think he is in Spain.

Paz OLSONGO
OLSONGO

Next

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students