What's best on folkloric style of rumba etc. - instructional books, videos on ..

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby korman » Thu May 10, 2007 8:28 am

Hi,

Could you recommend books or videos that explain rumba basics and possibly show some intermediate stuff?
I know that most conga videos feature some arrangements of guaguanco and
other folkloric rhythms for one player on two or more congas.
However, I'm interested in the one-person-per-instrument folkloric styles of yambu, guaguanco, columbia.
All the better, if it featured some of the other afro cuban styles that can be played on tumbadoras such as bembe.

Thanks,
Korman
korman

Postby korman » Wed May 23, 2007 8:26 am

Okay, I did some research on this question. So far I could not find rumba DVDs that are instructional, only some books.

Arturo Rodriguez has two books "Rumba guaguanco conversations" and "Bembe conversations" which seem to go in depth about respective folkloric rhythms. Can anyone comment how good these are?

Also Cliff Brooks book "Afro cuban rumba improvisation", though mainly about quinto soloing, has information in the beginning about other parts and how they fit together. Would that be enough to get started without a teacher? (because there is none in my city)

Any other books or dvd's like these?

Thanks,
Korman
korman

Postby Congadelica » Wed May 23, 2007 9:56 am

Im not sure if you are aware , but the Tomasito Cruz DVD/Books are very good . I find it very easy to follow being a relative novice to Congas..

CD
Congadelica

Postby korman » Wed May 23, 2007 10:25 am

Congadelica, I know about those videos, however, I am interested not so much in technique as the folkloric playing in ensemble.
korman

Postby jorge » Wed May 23, 2007 11:32 am

Michael Spiro's book has a lot of folkloric content and is well written. It shows many parts for one drum as part of a group, and comes with a CD so you can hear some of the examples.
jorge

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed May 23, 2007 6:32 pm

Michael Spiro's book and Tomas Cruz.....is my recommendation.."JC" Johnny Conga....the smiler... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Derbeno » Thu May 24, 2007 7:34 pm

On page 25 of Tomasito Cruz V3 bible it reads:
"Makuta is a dance rhythm of Congolese origin used in Palo and other ceremonies in Afro-Cuban folkloric music. Tomás is currently working on a fourth book which will be devoted entirely to folkloric rhythms including amongst others, Guaguancó, Makuta and Batá music"

This was published back in 2004

I have e-mailed the publishers in the hope they may have further info, but does any one know if or when we shall see the fruits of this project??

Edited By Derbeno on 1180044522
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby Quinto Governor II » Fri May 25, 2007 9:51 pm

Hey Korman,

Not sure I fully understand what you are looking for but, you may want to look unto these 2 videos, if you are not already familiar with them.

Advanced Conga with Roland Soto

It gives you the basic patterns for each drum (Tumba & Conga for Yambu, Guauanco and Columbia, although it could have been presented a lot better IMO, especially when demonstrating Yambu and Columbia - he just seems to move thought it too quickly. however: its definitely worth the purchase price around $25.00 US.

Getting Started On Congas with Bobby Sanabria FUNDAMENTO 2

Will also help you. He covers the gua gua pattern for Guaguanco which I don't think is covered in the Soto video. He also covers the Bembe rhythm showing you the three separate parts for each drum as well as the bell pattern. This video is also around $25.00.
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby Changuiri » Mon May 28, 2007 1:07 pm

Derbeno wrote:On page 25 of Tomasito Cruz V3 bible it reads:
"Makuta is a dance rhythm of Congolese origin used in Palo and other ceremonies in Afro-Cuban folkloric music. Tomás is currently working on a fourth book which will be devoted entirely to folkloric rhythms including amongst others, Guaguancó, Makuta and Batá music"

This was published back in 2004

I have e-mailed the publishers in the hope they may have further info, but does any one know if or when we shall see the fruits of this project??

WORD UP!!! THKS.
Changuiri

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon May 28, 2007 7:33 pm

Damn guys! books videos, damn isnt anyone just freakin playing?? No rumbas where u live???. no teachers?....look books and videos are good for a minute then its about "practical application" in a drum setting or musical setting....u will NEVER learn how to rumba from a book..u got to be kidding me...everyone is trying to be "ACADEMIC" about playing rather than "experienced"....I'm personally getting tired of all this "academic" approach to playing, now....take it to the streets!....play in your parks, rooftops, basements, learn to interact with other drummers and hone your skills amongst them, and learn and share with one another, that is MY skool from "Da Bronx" where Im from, and where I learned in the streets, not with a book or a video......still smilin!...."JC" Johnny Conga.. :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Quinto Governor II » Mon May 28, 2007 9:08 pm

Hey Johnny New York is like Rumba heaven, or at least it was from what I've been told. I appreciate the fact that someone wants to learn - like myself, and I'm sure you appreciate that too. That's why you share your knowledge and expertease with us. And we appreciate you and the others like yourself here - again Thanks!. Most of us don't have the luxury of people who know how to play where we live, so we do the best we can, with what we have. You know the scene today the Djembe drum and the drum circle scene are more popular than than congas and rumbas. Hey I started in the park and I'm still there every week. Believe me when I see a new drummer with a conga enter the circle I get excited hoping that he knows something, unfortunately 90 plus % of the time I'm disappointed. Actually the percentage of that for djembe drummers is probably higher. In spite of that I still enjoy our scene the camaraderie is great and if you come early sometime we may even get a chance to do something that resembles a rumba or 2. Hey check us out. I'm the wannabe rumbero in the fake kangol style cap playing the red congas :>)

http://video.google.com/videopl....rk+vibe

Sorry link is not highlighted if you want to check us out, and you can't use the link, go to google video and type in park vibe
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon May 28, 2007 11:49 pm

Well as far as what u guys were doing I would say it is more of a "drum circle" thing more than a "rumba" In Rumba there are 'specific" parts, other than that, you guys are just "jammin out"....remember also cause you own a drum, don't make you a player!....a hobbiest yes...to be a player, IMO you have to "live the life!"...."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon May 28, 2007 11:50 pm

Are u familiar with the Baltimore band "Rumba Club"?....."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue May 29, 2007 12:24 am

THANK YOU-Quinto Gov-11...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue May 29, 2007 12:27 am

JohnnyConga wrote:Damn guys! books videos, damn isnt anyone just freakin playing?? No rumbas where u live???. no teachers?....look books and videos are good for a minute then its about "practical application" in a drum setting or musical setting....u will NEVER learn how to rumba from a book..u got to be kidding me...everyone is trying to be "ACADEMIC" about playing rather than "experienced"....I'm personally getting tired of all this "academic" approach to playing, now....take it to the streets!....play in your parks, rooftops, basements, learn to interact with other drummers and hone your skills amongst them, and learn and share with one another, that is MY skool from "Da Bronx" where Im from, and where I learned in the streets, not with a book or a video......still smilin!...."JC" Johnny Conga.. :D

Yeah I am going to have to second what JohnnyConga is saying,
practice is good and you need it, but it's not playing, playing with
other musicians is really the only way..

I never studied a bit of jazz bongo drumming, I just started going to
the jazz jam down the street, a books doesnt exist to teach me the
kind of playing I do there...

same thing with my band that just broke up...

Saying that, books kind of help when things are drying up, read a few pages,
get introdced to something different, try it out and boom! things are on again...
bongosnotbombs

Next

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students