Pc Program to write rithmic patterns - Someone who know a good program to write

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby jmdriscoll » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:33 pm

I have used that percussion studio application, and it is quite a neat tool. For me though, I do a lot of playing away from the computer and need something that I can carry with me.

If what you want to do is merely notate your rhythms, then there is a lot cheaper route that you can take. Call me stupid, but I have a musicians notebook that I bought from the bookstore.. it is basically just blank musical bars that are open for notation.....

-------------------------------------

above the bars, I lay out the time that I am working on... ex) 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & | 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

In the bars I simply put a dot on a position that has a beat. I put a dot in the top bar if it is on the quinto, middle bar if the hit is on the conga, and the bottom bar gets a dot for tumba hits...

below the bar I notate the type of hit that is taking place...

B = Bass
T = toe
S = Slap
M = muff
O = open

And if it is something complex that I am just learning, I also add what hand plays what hit under the hit type. This way when I hear some funky tumbao combinations that I have never heard before, I will break it down on paper, then notate it in my book. Then when it comes practice time, I break out my book and BAM... I have all of my variations of all of my rhythms right in front of me to refer to. the best thing is that it is cheap and portable. I take it with me everywhere. It might not be the standard notation in the actual musical notes that are being played, but I have noticed that there are many different methods of notating conga rhythms... It may take a little longer also, but it helps me organize the pattern also by writing down and understanding where the pattern falls in relation to the down beat or clave. this works for me, and I can even do it while I am sitting at work. :D

Mike

Edited By jmdriscoll on 1182889334
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted"

"Music and rhythm find their way into secret places of the soul"
jmdriscoll

Postby CongaTick » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:49 pm

jm,

I love the "manual technology" of this simplicity, and will probably adopt it myself. Great suggestion... and cheap.
CongaTick

Postby jmdriscoll » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:19 pm

Congatick, thats what works "for me" anyway... Glad to hear that it might be able to work for you too. Doing it this way, does not allow for me to read music in the traditional sense, but it seems like a lot of percussion notation is expressed using a non-formal method of notation anyway, and it allows me to notate rhythmic ideas on patterns and arrangements that I cannot keep in my head. I would still love to learn how read formal music notation one of these days! :)

MD
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted"

"Music and rhythm find their way into secret places of the soul"
jmdriscoll

Postby spiritdrum » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:29 pm

Greno wrote:Hi, I need a program to write rithmic patherns. If someone could tell me where i can find it, it would be great. I have the keynote but i can´t write with the different strokes. So i need one specialy of percussion.

Thanks.

My introduction to percussion studio was really what helped me understanding what was going on. By transcribing the rhythms I was learning, I was able to control the temp to understand.

Its a great tool and worth 25 bucks. Another program for the Mac is Idrum, but I don't know much about it. It sells for 70 bucks US.

I don't really use this program anymore because my ear training has advanced so much that I don't really need it anymore. But sometimes I download ppc files from their forum that other users have created.

Lisa
spiritdrum

Postby Salseroberlinense » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:46 am

I love percussion studio. It is really worth the money, and I think if you have not registered you can still save your rhythms at least as .wav-files or print them, right?
I don't like the notation either and already asked the author if classical notation could be introduced. He sent me the code and wrote it should not be difficult to transfer it to other music software, but I am not a programmer and the guys at capella and finale were interested but did not want to invest their capacities. At the French forum percussions.org there was someone planning to write a similar software. Many showed interest and gave feedback on possible improvements - and that already in the francophone online percussion community, which is probably smaller than the anglophone one as many African drummers don't have access to the internet. I doubt though that he succeeded as he never announced anything like that. Any programmers here?
For printing classical notation I use the free version of capella. You cannot save there without registration but I print it to pdf. There are lots of free tools for printing to pdf, mine is pdf995. Then I work on it with simple graphics software if necessary. That's how I produced my scores here. Hope this helps.
Salseroberlinense

Previous

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students