Book:  Conga Drumming - A Beginners Guide To Playing With Time

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby jmdriscoll » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:42 pm

I have a decent sized collection of books related to playing congas and bongo. One of the books that I have had for years, but have never done myuch with is "Conga Drumming - a beginners guide to playing with time. - by Alan Dworsky" Maybe because a lot of patterns are geared toward multiple players with seperate quinto, conga and tumba parts, and up until recently, I have never had a practice partner and have always practiced alone. It covers a few multi-person patterns such as guaguanco rumba, 6/8 bembe's, bomba, etc..

Has anybody had any experience with the rhythms in this book? Good, bad? Accurate or close to the true style of multi-person playing?

M
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted"

"Music and rhythm find their way into secret places of the soul"
jmdriscoll

Postby jmdriscoll » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:42 pm

This book doesn't look familiar to anybody?... distributed by dancing hands music at:

http://www.dancinghands.com/view_ca....#item46

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... ngo_lg.jpg
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted"

jmdriscoll

Postby burke » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:32 pm

This a pretty pointless thing to say but no I'm not familar with it.

Why bother? Cause I know it totally sucks to have a legit question ignored and sometimes even a stupid reply can stimulate the dudes out there.

Come yall! Help the guy out fer Ch%&^#ts sake!
Burke
burke

Postby Changuiri » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:52 am

LISTEN TO THE CD AND SEE IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU HEAR, THAT'S WHAT IT COMES DOWN TO.
Changuiri

Postby jmdriscoll » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:37 pm

Hey, thanks for the encouraging posts guys. No worries though.. maybe not a lot of people have purchased this book before. I dig some of the grooves, but just wanted to make sure that the parts were the "actual traditional" multi-person patterns played for these rhythms... "Guaguanco, Bembe, and Bomba" before I dive too deep into them only to find out that I am not playing them correctly. Maybe I'll compare these rhythms to the ones listed in the congabook to see if they are the same.

MD

jmdriscoll

Postby Gallichio » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:48 pm

I like the book but don't like the notation it uses. other wise it's OK
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students