What is a good book/video for beginners? - Learning the basics

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Postby fstop » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:15 pm

I'm a recreational/novice player and I am looking for a good video/book for beginners.

I've seen some references to books in the forums but most of the books and videos seem beyond even the basic level that I am at.

I am wondering if there is a good book with video that explains some of these basics for beginners.

Some basics on tuning, particularly a reference like some other song or tuning reference in tones I could mimick (for the not so musically inlcined), I don't have any other instruments I can tune from.

Are there instructional videos with musical note references I could mimick for tuning?

Visuals for hand postioning and how to read the accompanying written notes for rythym patterns.

Basic rythyms and patterns I could learn and then advance from there?

Can anyone recomend a good book/video that overs these topics for beginners?

fstop

Postby OneDrumBum » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:48 pm

Hi Fstop
Welcome the the Congas!
Hi I just want to say that I learned the initial ropes from the book "Conga, A beginer's guide to playing with Time " By Alan Sworsky and Betsy Sansby
This book is great, it shows you hand positioning and has like a hundred rhythms with CD( which you can use to tune your congas with). It is very well written and easy notation. I think they also offer a video that compliments the book/CD too.
you can find it at dancinghands.com

No book can offer the knowledge, expertise or expeirience of a good teacher!
Matt
BoomISlapitABoom

Tree Beatin Skin Slaper:)
OneDrumBum

Postby afrocubarico » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:11 pm

Welcome aboard fstop!
I have to echo the words of OneDrumBum, nothing comes close to a good, knowledgable teacher. Seek out a good instructor in your area that gives lessons. I've only been playing for a few months but I credit a lot of what I have learned in such a short time to the one-on-one instruction I get from my teacher.

As far as a book/video, I will strongly recommend the Tomas Cruz Conga Method books. Start with volume one and really spend some time with this volume. It may take you several months with just this first volume but believe me, you will reap many rewards from studying this book. It also comes with a DVD which provides a powerful learning tool.

Listen to lots of music with Latin rythms and train your ears by paying attention to how all of the instruments come together. But most important, have fun learning to play!

Baya!
afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:12 pm

Hello Fstop and WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY OF DRUMMERS!....not to toot my own horn but I will be coming out with my New learning DVD,s soon, which shows most of the basic rhythm patterns, tuning, and a whole lot more. If you would like to be put on my "pre-sales" list just email me your full name and address to johnnyconga@hotmail.com ...I am in the final editing phase and waiting again for my partner to show up so we can go into his studio and put the finishing touches on them for manufacturing and distribution....Once again for those that are waiting, please be patient, but it is a lot of work to do and my partner, is just a busy guy, so Im waiting on him ...Thanks again for your patience..."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby afrocubarico » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:31 am

J.C.,
I'm definitely waiting for your DVD to be released. I'm sure this is a big task for you. I have a friend who published his own book about 2 yrs. ago, I helped him with the proof reading and I saw how much work it was for him so I don't envy you. But I'm sure it'll be a success for you.

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:36 pm

Gracias-"AC".....u know I'm from Boogey Down BX too...was there last time in 97...do u know of my Drum Brother Willie Everich?...he does the Tambors with Totico's group for over 10 years, in the city....Yes when u have to wait on people to get things done it takes a bit longer...My videographer is gonna make his money off the top of my endeavor and I have to work around his schedule rather than mine, or it would have been done by now...I appreciate everyone's patience...here is a flik of my man Willie "El Russo" Everich on congas....he is of Ukrainian extraction, grew up on St. Anne's Ave in the South Bronx, fluent in Spanish, and sings and plays...I gave him his first conga and taught him how to play...back in 1971...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... bshot.jpeg
JohnnyConga

Postby ralph » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:48 pm

afrocubarico wrote:Welcome aboard fstop!
I have to echo the words of OneDrumBum, nothing comes close to a good, knowledgable teacher. Seek out a good instructor in your area that gives lessons

I see your outta the BX, who is your teacher...

WILLIE EVERICH is the truth!!!! he is still in the BX on Ogden Ave...super nice guy...down to earth cat....

Ralph
ralph

Postby afrocubarico » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:56 am

J.C.,
No, I don't know of Everich but sounds like I should. I really don't know any rumberos out here. I took my congas out to Orchard Beach twice this summer and I've had a few old school cats come up to me to sit in with me but I don't really know anyone out here yet. I did meet Richie Flores not too long ago who also lives here in the boogie down but his style is a little too buck wild for me right now. The dude's hands are like lightning!

Ralph,
I'm currently taking lessons at the Harbor Conservatory in El Barrio. My instructor's name is Steve Lopez. He's been around for some time and has played with some of the NY salsa groups back in the day. I'm really looking to perfect my playing and I know I have a lot to learn. But to me, that's the gravy of it all!

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby fstop » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:25 am

Thank you all for the book/DVD recommendations.

And Johnny please add me to your list and let me know when your DVD is complete, I'll send you my address and e-mail.

Much apreciated. :D
fstop

Postby fstop » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:37 am

BTW Johnny........ it's too bad we're at opposite ends of the country.
I shoot/produce/edit video for a living so I'd gladly help you with your video just so I could get a copy!

Here's my web site: http://www.onsight.tv & e-mail: tcorp@onsight.tv

If you ever need any footage shot in South Florida just let me know.

F-stop

:D
fstop

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:58 pm

Hi Ralph....who was MY Teacher???...ummm good question...ok my first lessons were with a "Hank" Fields...who nobody ever got to hear because he became a Housing Authority Cop, and gave up a career as a musician. He learned from Armando Peraza....Hank gave me HIS style and Technique, which was at first Armando's "hand over hand" technique on congas....hence my Miami nickname "Mano del Trapo" "rag hands"...my 2nd Teacher was the GREAT George "Sabu" Caldwell the 3rd. Who taught me about playing for dancers(ballet, African, and Afro-Cuban) and the "split hand" style. George played with Dizzy Gillespies band in the 50's and also played with Charlie Parker....George was a phenominal drummer also having toured with Katherine Dunhams troup with Julito Collazo, Patato, and Fransisco Aguabella, he also was in Olatunji's Drummers and Dancers . The rest I learned from watching and listening to Mongo. Since then I have been teaching myself as I am still learning new things everyday on the drum, I will be turning 58 in August....answer your question? :D "JC" Johnny Conga...PS.. Both these men were African American..
JohnnyConga

Postby Berimbau » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:33 am

Still the Ultimate conga book is Stick Control by George Stone. A second great book is Syncopation for the Modern Drummer By Ted Reed. Both ARE snare drum books, but photo copy each page, then write in HTSO or whatever. You can do this MANY times and end up with virtually every possible combination. Triplets, flams, double stroke rolls, ratamucues, paradiddles, all the building blocks for a great conguero!!

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby ralph » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:13 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:Hi Ralph....who was MY Teacher???...ummm good question...

I meant that question to be directed at Afrocubarico...but your response is not in vain...much appreciated as well...Armando Peraza did live in NY, do we know what years?
ralph

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:06 pm

I believe early late 50's early 60's..."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Facundo » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:29 pm

Berimbau wrote:Still the Ultimate conga book is Stick Control by George Stone. A second great book is Syncopation for the Modern Drummer By Ted Reed. Both ARE snare drum books, but photo copy each page, then write in HTSO or whatever. You can do this MANY times and end up with virtually every possible combination. Triplets, flams, double stroke rolls, ratamucues, paradiddles, all the building blocks for a great conguero!!

Saludos,

Berimbau

Hey B,

You are absolutely right about stick control by stone. It does wonders for your chops! Can't overlook his other book Accents and Rebounds either. Use the accents as slaps or use the accents as a louder stroke and you have combinations that will last a lifetime. Both books do wonders for your weak hand.

Facundo
Facundo
Facundo

Next

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students