NEWBIE WANTING TO LEARN IN MIAMI,FLA - WANT TO LEARN ERE TO PLAY CONGAS

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby jorgedemiami » Sat Mar 23, 2002 2:12 am

Hi new to forum, Ive always loved to play drums as kid
and have pretty good rythym. I am in the MIAMI AREA KENDALL. First were in Miami can I a descent set of congas,
medium price range. Also are there any classes that anyone
can inform me to learn how to play....

THANKS JORGE
jorgedemiami

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Mar 23, 2002 4:09 pm

:D Hello Jorge. I sent you an email with my home phone number. I live on Miami Beach. I have been a Professional Musician and Teacher for over 30 years. I am available for private lessons in my home, at your convienence. Welcome!...Let's Do It! :D .At your Service....JC JOHNNY CONGA......PS...chek my history out at http://www.ShowGigs.Com/JohnnyConga..... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Bongo Boy » Fri Jul 05, 2002 3:34 am

jorgedemiami wrote:were in Miami can I a descent set of congas,
medium price range

You can get a decent set of congas, no matter where you are on the planet, by using the internet. I would recommend http://www.musiciansfriend.com as one reliable source (I ordered from these folks many, many times and have received good service--product shows up in less than 5 days), although I'm sure there are many others.

If you have to see and touch before you buy, then use the internet to find your nearest Guitar Center--they usually have at LEAST a selection of LP and Toca. Here's one:

Guitar Center Kendall
7736 N. Kendall Dr.
Miami, FL 33156

I have no financial interest in or preferencial association with Guitar Center or Musicians Friend--just a customer.
Bongo Boy

Postby benbaboon » Fri Jul 05, 2002 5:05 pm

I definitely like to touch before I buy (or buy knowing it would still be a good deal even if I don't like the heads).
I would suggest you connect first with JC (or the other teacher) first to find out which conga will best match your needs....fiberglass versus wood, thick versus thin versus synthetic etc.
You may even want to get some cheapies to start with as you will may a lot more informed about what your needs will be six months down the road.
-bb
benbaboon

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jul 06, 2002 4:22 pm

:D Vaya! Jorge ...I emailed you before . Yo soy un Maestro de los tumbadoras,y mas. Email me OK. If your serious we can do it. I also throw "Descargas" here on Miami Beach. All you need to start is a tape recorder and paper and pencil. I teach at my house. OK ?.....At your Serice ...JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Sun Aug 04, 2002 6:05 pm

jorgedemiami wrote:Hi new to forum, Ive always loved to play drums as kid
and have pretty good rythym. I am in the MIAMI AREA KENDALL. First were in Miami can I a descent set of congas,
medium price range. Also are there any classes that anyone
can inform me to learn how to play....

THANKS JORGE

Hola Johnny, hope all is well! This is the another Jorge, that I believe contacted you for lessons. Not me!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio ;)
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:43 pm

:D Hi Jorge G......well it's his loss now...he didn't move fast enough and now I'm gone. Seattle is very very good to me. This week with Cambalache and Saturday with Rumba Abierta....Everybody is very nice here and treating me with respect and open arms...I think I can live here....smile......Peace and Congas......JC JOHNNY CONGA ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:08 pm

Hola Johnny, hope all is well! Seattle is beautifull. I did play once in Tacoma for a World Harpist Convention with venezuelan harpist, Carlos Guedes. It was lot of fun!
Why you decided to relocate to Seattle? The Miami scene is not happening at all? I know Chuck Silverman did relocate to California after living for a while in Miami. Also Ignacio Berroa, who currently lives in Miami, told me that he doesn't play in Miami at all. All the best!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:52 pm

:D Hi Jorge...Miami is DEAD! OK If ur not with Gloria -Jon Secada or Shakira ur out of luck .PS( all controlled by Emilio) There is no music scene at all . I was there for 17 years trying to make a living as a Musician,fuggedaboutit!...Since coming to Seattle I am already in 3 different bands and have no less than 7 Teaching opportunitys at the local community colleges and Music programs here. There is a scene here and in Vancouver,where I have friends in Grupo Jazz Tumbao and RumbaCalzada. they both want me to work with them also. Aqui no tiene Envidia!..Miami Si...There is an "apathetic' attitude that is detrimental to being an "Artist" in Miami. If u don't have a family business or sell drugs in Miami fuggedddaboutit. I have neither . Just no Venues for Artists and it's not conducive to elevating your life!..I can speak about it cause I lived there almost as long as I lived in NYC. You can have Miami and it's pompous,pretentious attitude. the only thing I will miss are my "real friends'' and the Sun. Seattle has welcomed me with "open arms". I will be throwing the First ever "Rumba" in Seattle this sunday. It;s my Birthday wish u guys could be there too!...Peace ,Seattle, and always Congas...At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.. :D
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Thu Aug 08, 2002 5:47 pm

Johnny, thanks for the Miami scene report. Wishing you a Happy Birthday Rumba on sunday. All the best!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio :D
tamboricua

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!