Percussive Arts Society

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby Bongo Boy » Sun Mar 10, 2002 3:39 pm

Am wondering if anyone has used, worked with or had any experiences related to the PAS, and what your opinions are of the organization overall.
Bongo Boy

Postby timo » Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:32 pm

What is it? never even heard.
AXÉ

timo
timo

Postby Bongo Boy » Tue Mar 12, 2002 4:34 pm

Check out

http://www.pas.org

They are an organization focused on music education, etc., and claim to "moving toward becoming a truly international organization".

I initially looked into the organization hoping that maybe they certified instructors, etc.
Bongo Boy

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Mar 20, 2002 2:17 am

Hey guys anyone can join the Percussive Arts Soceity and participate in the organization. It has it's own forms and dues,so to speak. It is a way of connecting with Organizations you might not of known about. It is mostly geared to already established Percussionists/Drum and Bugle/Symphony/Studio/Sessions,etc. But it is just another door for you to go through and check it out. sometiomes it's a good thing to join something, especially when it is geared to your Profession or just Love of Drumming....At your Service ....JC JOHNNY CONGA....PS .Goto to it online! ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby 120decibels » Tue Jul 16, 2002 4:37 pm

Hey Gents,

PAS is a fantastic organization. I got involved in it when I was in college studying classical percussion. Their conferences and journals are great. I've seen a lot of great clinics at both my local chapter's "day of percussion" and the national conferences. My only criticizm of PAS is that they have really expended a lot of effort on Drum Corps drumming. They still cover all the bases, I just hate the Drum Corps stuff! :p
120decibels

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:10 pm

:D YO Newbie ..."Don't Hate-Gravitate!"...they are still drummers and should be given respect any way u look at it. Until you've played in one and see the challenges it produces,unless u have and it didn't work for you.I don't know. Go to a Drum and Bugle battle of the Bands, it will blow you away, and the Drumming is just,incredible.......My 3 cents...At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby 120decibels » Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:48 pm

Johnny,

Good point. I have seen a number of Drum and Bugle Corps festivals, and the drumming is phenomenal. Some of those drummers (and percussionists) have chops and musicality comparable to the best drummers of other styles. The coreography is also incredible.

I spent a summer in the Connecticut Hurricanes and it wasn't for me. Too regimented, too militaristic.

As for the PAS stuff, to each his own. Drum Corps stuff just isn't my ball of wax. I meant no ill will. I think that we can all learn from other styles. It's just not my bag.

Sorry for the miscommunication!

120dB
120decibels

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:41 pm

:D Cool my brother...I kinda liked the uniforms and the regimentation when I was a teenager in the Bronx and we used to watch them battle it out at Gaelic Park in the Bronx. Do you know that is how Willie Colon and other Bone players started in the only Bronx Drum and Bugle Corp. I don't remember there name but they were Malo!(Willie Colon). I wished I could've joined and would have learned my rudiments and been even stronger than I am today. A little bit of Discepline doesn't hurt either when directed towards an instrument, whether a snare or a conga......At your Service...
JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby CongaCaja » Tue May 20, 2003 10:34 pm

Johnny,

I just read this old post and thus didn't know you were a drum corps aficionado as well. Very cool.

As for me, I was a member of the Cavaliers (from Chicago area) back in the mid 80's. Your right about the good of discipline. It taught be a lot about serious dedication to chop building and ensemble playing. Now, I live in the SF bay area and occassionally get out to see the two excellent groups in this area (Concord Bluedevils and Santa Clara Vanguard). Reminds me of the "old college days" when stick drumming was my life and my PAS membership was paid by the university.

Btw, the PAS annual conventions back in those days (the 80's, I haven't been a member in years) were very cool for learning and meeting with other percussionists...not to mention, tons of fun.

Since traveling in latin america for business a few years ago, I've converted to developing my hand drumming that I neglected far too many years.

Enough rambling on my part, I was just happy to see someone appreciate that fanatical sub-culture called drum corps.

hasta pronto.... chris

Edited By CongaCaja on May 21 2003 at 02:37
CongaCaja

Postby tamboricua » Wed May 21, 2003 12:11 am

Little by little P.A.S. is including more Latin Percussion and World Percussion per se. As a matter of fact, from May 21 to May 23, with the sponsoring of the Puerto Rico P.A.S. Chapter, they are holding the International Percussion Festival at the Puerto Rico Conservatory, honoring Mr. Angel "Cachete" Maldonado ilustrous career. Among the clinicians this year; Ralphy Irizarry, Roberto Quintero, Orlando Poleo, Anthonny Carrillo, Caixa, Pablito Rosario, Hector Calderón and Yuba Iré, Orlando Cotto, Grupo Atabal, and Alfredo Naranjo y Guajeo. All clinics and workshops are free to the public.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on May 21 2003 at 02:29
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed May 21, 2003 12:40 am

#### i may have to move to PR now with FREE clinics huh ...wow...My favorite Drum and Bugle corp was "The Caballeros" from New Jersey, they were State Champs. Hey check out the movie 'DRUMLINE' it will definetly open your eyes and ears, it was "smokin!" especially the "drum challenge" in the end. At your Service..JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby CongaCaja » Wed May 21, 2003 1:57 am

That PAS festival in Puerto Rico sounds pretty cool...unfortunately, May 21 is tomorrow and thus no way to make travel plans.

I haven't yet checked out the "Drumline" movie, but I will rent it soon. Fortunately, my university (Illinois) drumline had lots of cross-polenation from my Chicago-based drum corps...the latter of which was been national and "world" champs more times than I can count.

http://www.cavaliers.org/
http://www.cavaliers.org/media/audio.html

Although I've haven't done that type of drumming in years and I never was the captain aka lead drummer, I was very fortunate to play with many talented guys, to learn from excellent instructors and to discover how to work my @#$% off in a group situation (approx. 8-10 hr/day rehearsals during the summer). No matter what type of drumming or music, it was very cool to perform with and compete against "the best".

I'd recommend it any young person as a part of their musical and personal development.

Ok, enough my reminicing...got to get home a practice my congas. :D

chris
CongaCaja

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!