Conga Teacher in Austin, Texas - advanced instruction

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby jdmanteca » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:54 pm

Just on the heels of an eye opening week of percussion instruction in Havana. Want to continue with studies with some guidance. Have been playing congas for about 10 years. Trying to get to next level. Any suggestions?
jdmanteca

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:09 am

Well I would imagine any instruction in Cuba would be an eye opener. The next thing to do is keep honing your skills,technique,and sound. Practice as much as possible. Play along with records and teach yourself to memorize tunes,put an "arsenal" of material under your belt in all styles, that will help you to become well rounded in all forms of music. Study notation and how to read rhythms as well as "counting", this is very important to become a stronger and more knowledgeble musician....Hope this helps...At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby jdmanteca » Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:58 pm

Thanks Johnny for the great advice. One thing I did notice is that the players "feel" clave and know where the "1" is in a bell pattern with out really counting. It seems to be more of a feeling. For us western (rock/backbeat) raised musicians, we tend to lean very heavily on counting. I am trying to get to a point where I "feel" clave and the pulse without counting.

The primary purpose for looking for a teacher is that I realized that the things I learned from books and videos were not the complete picture. I noticed some subtleties in cuban playing that I only caught from listening to them and asking questions. It turns out I have to unlearn some things and back up and start over in some areas. Some things cannot be taught in books. I think you may agree. I looking for some guidance to keep me on the right path.
jdmanteca

Postby zaragemca » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:39 pm

Welcome to the drumming world,I could corroborate that what you are saying could be true since I have some percussion students which went to the same thing and they told me that also.Even in a personal guiding it is easy to deviate from a pattern(to miss something)without realizing it when you are by yourself.

Edited By zaragemca on Nov. 20 2003 at 15:50
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:03 pm

Well JD a good "mentor" would help you if you can find one who has the experience of playing and teaching rolled into one. It's true books do not teach you everything it's a matter of "practical application" on a daily basis that will hone your skills and knowledge. How do you find a good teacher? Well that is the 64,000 question. He must have of course the experience of playing over many years, also the possibility that he has taught in some professional manner, and has a "method" of teaching. ....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby jdmanteca » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:28 pm

This is the kind of mentor that I am looking for. Wish me luck in my search.
jdmanteca

Postby martin » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:15 am

hi
what where the kinds of things you learnt in cuba? You said there were particular you things you spoke to people about. Sounds interesting.
An excellent way of learning more is to transcribe from records. Of course you need to know the basic rhythyms and mechanisms first. I have some transcriptions but i need to scan them in then I can post them

martin
martin

Postby jdmanteca » Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:03 pm

Here is an example of what I thought I new that I didn't.

When watching a cuban play a pattern I noticed how great his drums sounded. At first glance the drums seemed beat up and not of great quality but they sounded great. It turns out that the nuiances of his open tone were so much better than mine that he could make a bad drum sound sweet. I started asking questions and he helped me dial my open tone in a little bit. I always thought my open tone was fine but it wasn't as good as it could be. I've had to back up and reevaluate all my fundamentals that I thought I already knew so well. It was very humbling. Just an example.

I would love to see your transcriptions. I'm sure it would be very helpful.
jdmanteca

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!