Teachers in England

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby zealot » Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:49 pm

Does anyone know of any good teachers in the South East of England :D
zealot

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:33 pm

:D HELLO...the only person I would think would be SNOWBOY. But I don't know if he teaches per se. If he doesn't he could probably turn you on to someone. do u know about Snowboy?..... :D At your Service....JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby martin » Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:39 am

there is Jorge Santo in London, learnt in Cuba.
martin

Postby Rhumba Russ » Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:00 pm

I too am looking for a good teacher in London...I think Snow boy is a bit busy, who knows? Anyway, if anybody has any other ideas, I would be pleased to hear. :)
Rhumba Russ

Postby Simon B » Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:05 pm

Probably the most knowledgable conguero in the UK is Robin Jones, who taught Snowboy for years. Last thing I knew he was working and teaching from Pro Percussion in Kentish Town, London. (I doubt whether Snowboy teaches - he has a really, really tight schedule - playing, DJing, music journalism, etc).

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Rhumba Russ » Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:53 pm

Yeah...I tried Robin too, left a message but he hasn't got back to me. I guess he is really busy ???
Rhumba Russ

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:27 pm

I would seek out the timbale player from Snowboys band. He teaches very good, his name escapes me right now, but you will see his name on Snowboys CD,s playing bongos and timbales. He is very good teacher.....At your Service..JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:29 pm

You may also want to try ....Lessons4you.com and type in the country and see who comes up.....At your Service.....JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Rhumba Russ » Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:36 pm

:) Thanks a lot, I was not expecting such a rapid response..
I am also wondering if you could help me out..I currently play percussion with a Reggae band..do you know of any good conga/bongo, shekere or other percussion rhythms that would complement the music well..My band wants a LOT of congas and sometime I run out of new ideas. I play variations of Tumbaos, Songos, Rhumbas, that Reggae pattern this site and lots of improvisation..Please give me some ideas!! ? :0 ?

Many thanks :p
Rhumba Russ

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:05 am

Lots of congas for Reggae doesn't happen. the percussion is sparse and a lot of it is on the upbeats. When you run out of ideas for a tune play bongos or a shaker on it, break it up represent with Colors!.....use a jimbe also and a set of timbales is almost assuredly used in Reggae. BTW Have you heard of Johnny Dread, from Miami? I recorded a hit tune of his called "Reggae Holiday", where I actually was able to funk up the rhythm instead of playing traditional upbeats. So don't forget your wood block.... ;) At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Rhumba Russ » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:03 pm

Thanks...I forgot to say that Bongos are already a prime part of my setup....I am aware that Reggae doesnt have THAT much congas (then again, I remeber seeing a video of Bob Marley live in Jamaica and the congas never stopped. There were actually 2 people playing 3 congas each, one with sticks, occasionally changing to shekere or wd block... It rocked). I would like to play other more FX'y things...But my band really wants the drive of bongo/congas..In the future we hope to have an additional percussionst, until then I will just have to make do. As for the timbales, that is something I KNOW I need. However, I do not yet drive and I have enough trouble getting all my kit to gigs as it is already. Probably the next bit of kit I need is a car! :D
Rhumba Russ

Postby Simon B » Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:07 pm

Rhumba Russ just carry on ringing Robin until you get to speak to him - if he's not at the shop, find out when he gets back cos messages always get lost! I have spoken with him before and know one or two of his students - he is really is a lovely guy and more than willing to help. In addition I would find the Snowboy web-site - I'm sure one exists - and see if you can e-mail Snowboy from there as to who he would suggest as a teacher. He is based in Essex as far as I know - is that where you are?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Rhumba Russ » Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:24 pm

Thanks...I will try :) Unfortunately I am not near Essesx, rather Middlesex :0 Recently I bumped into a cuban band and found out about a Descarga happening every tues in London. Apparently it is the place to get connected :p Thanks for your help; i'm sure i'll get there soon, if not I could could always quit my job and live in Cuba for a while....I wish ;)
Rhumba Russ

Postby martin » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:08 am

hey russ
can you give out details about the descarga in London - I'm based in Cambridge. Sounds interesting.

martin
ps Anyone know any bongo players in east anglia?
martin

Postby Rhumba Russ » Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:34 pm

Hi Martin..apparently it is Turnmills in Farrington (pretty much central London). Try http://www.salsarapido.ndirect.co.uk/esn59.htm#hd10. It sounds good, I am on my way there next tuesday, maybe i'll see you there! :D
Rhumba Russ

Next

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!