Teachers on West US Coast? - I'm traveling West Coast this summer

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby windhorse » Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:15 pm

This summer, I'll be doing a West Coast conga pilgrimage up the American West Coast probably starting in LA, and going all the way up to Seattle.

I'd like to drop in wherever there's someone who'd like to share Rumba licks or Afro-Cuban drum rhythms.
I'm traveling from Boulder CO and back.
Please respond in private IM.
Thanks,

Dave
windhorse

Postby Johnny Conga » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:37 pm

Hello ..I would recommend you see Robertito Melendez for lessons in L.A. If you come up to Seattle and want private lessons with me just email me at [email]johnnyconga@hotmail.com..please[/email] goto
http://www.showgigs.com/johnnyconga/index.html for info on who I am and what I teach.. At your Service.. JC JOHNNY CONGA.... :D
Johnny Conga

Postby JohnR » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:54 am

Robertito gives a group instruction program every Saturday from Noon to 3 PM (usually runs late). Several class members often stay for another half hour to an hour for freestyle jamming.

The three hours is actually two classes, and the fee is $6 per class, or $12 for both classes. Most stay for both classes. Robertito has students playing congas, bongos, bells, clave, timbales, guiro, etc. The conga players far out number the other instruments, anywhere from 8 to 12 congueros at the sessions I have been to. All levels are there, from beginners to working musicians.

Some of the sessions include visiting pros on other instruments, e.g. keyboard, bass, etc. A few weeks ago he had the bass player from Son Candela and Yari More's pianist playing with us. It was a lot of fun.

If you stop by, look for me. Just look for the oldest guy on congas (I am in my late 50's), and that will probably be me.

Here is the location:
Ramona Hall Community Center
4580 N. Figueroa Avenue
Highland Park, CA (northwest of Downtown LA near junction of freeways 5 & 110)
323-276-3021

Hope to see you there sometime! :)

Edited By JohnR on 1076317598
John Richard
aka Juan Ricardo
JohnR

Postby redelk » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:24 am

New to all this. NEED HELP. Got a "talking drum". One that can say words as well as makeanimal sounds. Single Head....thin Dowel ionside that u rub to creat sounds. All I know is u use damp spong or leater 2 rub dowel.......all Im able 2 get is GRUNTS! Can any advise me on what 2 do....or book on subject? Please do so on my Personel Email ; tbredelk@redelk.net.....or/n here. Sure would like 2 get good on this. Ho. Red Elk
red elk
redelk

Postby smidogg » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:30 am

Josh Jones runs a free Tuesday night clinic at La Pena Cultural center in berkeley, CA on Shattuck at 7pm (look it up on the web). It is usually a pretty small class and is great for a beginner or intermediate. If you are interested in private lessons, showing up for this clinic is a good way to hook it up.
For those of you who dont know Josh Jones he has played percussion with the likes of Peter Apflebaum, Steve Coleman, Omar Soza, Charlie Hunter and many many more. He is a great teacher if you are interested in playing progressive stuff, jazz, or Salsa. He is also one #### of a rumbero as well.
smidogg

Postby windhorse » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:08 am

Might as well post back on here as a follow-up eh?
Well, I didn't end up getting as far South as LA, and instead started in San Jose traveling up to Arcata, N Oregon, and lower WA, then back.

So, I ended up having a private lesson with Clifford Brooks in Oakland, and it was very nice. Learned some quinto generalities and double drum patterns to Columbia. Then, the Afro-Cuban Dance and Drum Workshop in Arcata was outstanding! I probably grew several years in Cuban conga knowledge just in that week!
Had instructors like - Francesco Aguebella, Sandy Perez, Chris Walker, and Raynaldo Ganzalez.
So, awesome that I'm doing it again this summer - '05

Again, if there's anyone along that general route, then post it here or IM me!

Dave
windhorse

Postby BCongero » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:22 pm

Dave,
I notice that you are in Boulder. I'm living in Greeley right now. Do you play in any groups around?

Peace,

Brenden
No cruzado!
BCongero

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!