rumberos in Guatemala ? - looking for teachers

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby muckledrummer » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:41 pm

Hello i´m a little newbie looking for some assistance- hope some kind soul can help with this long shot!

i´m off down to guatemala in the next week or so im currently in los mochis mexico and would love to play/learn some congas and or timbales down there....any one got any clue for me or nudge in the right direction? I will be there for at least two months probably in the western highlands.

After playing the djembe for a few years i am coming to my realisation that conga is more for me as it is a bit more subtle shall we say?! but there are so many cultural blendings between the african and the afro cuban styles its fascinating.

live long and prosper
Mr muckledrummer
muckledrummer

Postby ralph » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:11 pm

I don't know about rumberos, but you may want to try and see where the local Garifuna, community is at, i know that the Garifuna's are pretty much spread out, throughout Nicaragua, Honduras, and Guatemala...so they may know...although Garifuna's also have their own music you may want to check out as well, Punta, etc...and i am not talking about the commercial punta either...
ralph

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!