i just love drumming !!

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby muckledrummer » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:13 pm

Hello people!
must say i love this site, i have been checking in regularly since i discovered it last month and the the people on here are so friendly, knowledgeable and helpful and the resources are great too.
I have decided that i need to make a pilgramage to Cuba and as i m now over the water in guatemala i wont get a better opportunity.
so i need some help locating a good teacher for conga and maybe some timabales action too and a place to hang out/stay that is cool to learn, listen and soak up some cuban music with cool folk.
so any suggestions or contacts would be most appreciated. By the way im looking at going in late november or early december this year and would love to hook up with any other members if you fancy a trip to cuba!

I am a begginner on the congas really altho´ ive been playing djembe a few years now and tabla too and i think the time is right for me to dive into Afro cuban percussion.

Big love and happy drumming all
Muckledrummer
From Newcastle, Uk
:D
Mr muckledrummer
muckledrummer

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:35 pm

Get in touch with ChuckSilverman.com, he takes people 4 times a year to "tour and learn" in Cuba. But keep in mind that Cuba is in dire straights and I have friends that have been there and been robbed of their money while they slept in the homes they were invited to stay in, and u can't report it either. And they will tell you afterwards that they have no money and they needed it, and say "now let's go get a beer"!...with ur money....so just beware of that situation when u go. They are also NOT accepting US dollars only Euros now. If u do use US dollars u get back only 80% of a dollar, and things there now are being overcharged, because of the dire situation there. What people don't know is that the average Cuban spends his whole day looking for food to feed his family, as they are not allowed in the Hotels where the "touristas" eat, and u are on ur own....I even heard from my Babalaow that "Babas" are leaving Cuba because they dont have what they need for their ceremonies, not even coconuts....so just keep all this in mind..I don;t mean to rain on your parade, just want to make u aware of what's happening....peace..."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby muckledrummer » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:40 pm

Thanks for the information and the advice JC, i will bear it in mind when i am there.
Î'm a firm believer in Karma and a big smile so hopefully the gods of percussion will look after me!!

Best wishes and keep on keeping on

Simon
Mr muckledrummer
muckledrummer

Postby Juzzi » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:49 pm

Hello Simon.
I can give you the e-mail address of Eliel Lazo. He is a virtuoso on congas and even a good teacher. He is touring quite a lot but if he happens to be in Cuba (Havanna), he will help you a lot. At the moment he is playing with Cesar Lopez & Havanna Ensemble.

Just contact me and I will write you back.

jussimakela@hotmail.com

-J

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... _eliel.JPG
Juzzi

Postby windhorse » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:21 pm

Here's yet another one!

RUMBA y FOLKLORE
in Matanzas, Cuba
January 2 – 16, 2006

The Rumba y Folklor Programs in Matanzas, Cuba
are pleased to invite you
to participate in its course of the
AFRO-CUBAN DANCE AND PERCUSSION

Program includes:

• Intensive dance and percussion classes daily in
the afro-cuban styles that include Rumba, Yoruba, Arara, Congo, Iyessa and Comparsa
• Visit to religious ceremonies (toques de santeria)
• Participants will have a direct contact with the community’s religious members – Babalawos, Iyalochas and Babalochas
• Round trip airfare from Montreal, accommodation, breakfast and dinner and transportation from Havana airport to Matanzas

PRICE: $2200.00

In order to guarantee your participation in the program,
a non-refundable deposit of $670 is required by November 5th, 2005.
The full payment will be needed by December 20th, 2005 at the latest.

!!!Please note: no personal checks accepted,
payments need to be made by postal money orders only!!!

For registration and more information please contact:
Reynaldo Gonzalez
tel: 617-629-9967
e-mail: obaaraoko at excite.com
windhorse

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:28 pm

Im very tight with the guys from the band Cubanismo, led by Jesus Alemañy.
PM me if you are interested, I will pass on their details in Cuba for you.
Jorge Luis Torres "Papiosco" on congas/timbal, performed with Klimax, now Cubanismo.
Eduardo Lavoy on bongo, performed with Nueva Generacion, now Cubanismo.
'Betun' on timbal, performed with an array of bands, including being the co-founder of OPUS 13, now with Cubanismo.

Check out some pics I took while we supported them in Sydney with our band and hung out during their stay with us earlier in the year by
CLICKING THIS LINK HERE
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby El Boni » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:10 pm

If you get to Santiago, try Ramon 'Michael' Marquez, and Manolo 'El Duke', principal musicians of Folklorico Cutumba. I studied with these guys for 3 months last year, and they were the best teachers I've ever had. Ramon is a true maestro, and Manolo is a marvellous vocalist and percussionist. I can dig out his number if you're heading that way. It's just the phone number for the street though (most people don't have phones in that neighbourhood), so you'll have to wait for him to be fetched.

I also have the address and I think, phone number for Changuito. I studied with him also. Though, whilst I learnt a great deal, his teaching technique left a lot to be desired.

Incidentally, I think you'll find plenty of safe casas particulares to stay at, mostly run by honest families. Just keep your wits about you, take sensible precautions, and you'll be fine. Re money, the charge on changing dollars is an additional 10%. To avoid this, simply bring your money in Euros or Sterling.

B
El Boni

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:30 pm

El Boni....WELCOME to our Family of Drum Brothers....tell us a bit about yourself and the drumming-music scene in Hong Kong. Me personally I have been trying to book my band to go to Hong Kong and haven't been able to hook up with a promoter...do you know of any?......."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby El Boni » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:45 am

Hi JC - you asked me about this on my last post (on the bata board). I've only just arrived here myself, so as I said will let you know when I know more.

I'm a percussionist from England and have moved here to work (too many of us in London). I look forward to joining in the heated debates on these boards in the coming months, and digging you guys' brains.

saludos
El Boni

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!